Skip to content
Maintankadin

"Taunt" as part of your threat rotation

Fayia
Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:48 am

"Taunt" as part of your threat rotation

Now this was odd at first and bloody annoying after a while.

Been running Naxx 25 as an OT (plus another Pally as OT) and took over MT when the original MT (warrior) left.

Even when we pulled groups of several mobs (sometimes marked) I noticed how my mobs ended up being tanked by the other Paladin. At first I was wondering if my threat generation sucked so bad, then I noticed that this Paladin even managed to pull aggro from the MT who was on Widow Fairlina after the adds were down.

Paying closer attention to Omen, I noticed that this Paladin's usual TPS was around 2500 while mine and the warriors was often over 1000 TPS higher. His TPS however would randomly spike, so this is why I assumed he liberally taunted (and not just single taunt, but also mass taunt - and after that the mobs usually ended up again with me or the warrior...only to bounce back after 6 seconds^^). If I needed more confirmation on this, it happened while I was kiting Grobbulus around with 2 slimes in my face and suddenly the whole pack starts charging towards the OT Paladin.

He could hold aggro fine at Patchwerk as a MT, so it is not like he totally didn't understand his job, but eventually I got a bit tired of him to the point where I wanted to set up the macros as suggested in the "This just happened" threat to basically name and shame him in raid everytime he did this with a "xxx taunted my target"

Seemed like a competition for "HaXxorZ I R tanked moa mobs". But maybe I am just missing something ^^
_________________
Majiben
Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:52 am
That tank is noob or an ass, take your pick.
_________________
Chrysla
Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:24 am
Previous guild I was in had a warrior and pally who both did the same thing. One of many reasons it is a previous guild. Wink
phaqueue
Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:31 am
I had a tank once decide this was a good idea... till he started mysteriously tanking everything in a pull...

couple deaths later he got the point... it was entertaining - the healers couldn't keep him up while he held everything (forget what instnance it was - just know it was enough trash that it would kill him - but when he died - I tanked the entire pull solo with no problem...)

people like this are idiots... they think they are looking good - but really all they are doing is making themselves look like an ass
_________________
Nakati
Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:31 am
Just about all our warriors except one have keept taunting off me mobs only to loose it again when my next ShoR hits. Its funny. Smile
_________________
Epimer
Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:59 am
I have a warrior ninja-taunting off me on trash (and on Thaddius and Saph too...), so for this week's run I have downloaded Taunt Tattle and will try to set it to pipe its output to /y. That'll learn 'im.
Fayia
Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:35 am
Uh, nice one...I will give this a try Very Happy
_________________
Arnock
Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:45 am
I can understand a mob or two on trash pulls, I do this to keep up my mana and make the healers job a tad easier.

But taunting everything on every cooldown is just..... being a douche.
_________________

Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Ilara
Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:04 am
I god damn kid you not, I had a ret pally using the new taunt in his dps rotation.

he got the boot.
_________________
Ilara Alliance / Caelestrasz
Fridmarr
Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:42 am
Nothing wrong with using it if you do it right. It is basically free damage if you are a ret pally, as long as the boss is not tauntable, and as prot it's a little extra free threat. I've seen quite a few WWS with folks using it.
_________________
http://armorylite.com/us/frostmane/fridmarr/
Melathys
Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:49 am
I see this every now and though.

What I see more often though, is bosses being taunted when OT was trying to pick up adds. Wiped on Malygos last night when a DK accidentally death gripped malygos instead of a spark right when he was about to do the breath thing.
_________________