Skip to content
Maintankadin

Retribution Gear

Cake
Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:18 pm

Retribution Gear

Is there a site similar to Maintankadin for retribution paladins?

I'm looking to start dpsing on the side and I have no idea where I should go to find gear lists or guides like I used on here when I first hit 80.
Guldylohx
Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:02 pm
This is a good site: Retpaladin.com

Not as extensive as this one, but still good nonetheless.
_________________
Ana
Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:41 am
I'm not a big fan of the retpaladin.com site. THey have a gear guide, but its only best in slot stuff, doesn't help you as you are leveling or as a decent gear guide to prepare you for raids et al.
Fedaykin98
Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:04 pm
For gear - I started with MaxDPS.com. A lot of people don't like its math, but it does list pretty much all the gear out there. I just made a list of the best quest rewards and 5-man drops. And Naxx10 (and 25) is so farmable these days that it's probably a better use of time to run those than it is to run the 5-mans over and over except for a few key pieces.

I would prioritize the Heroic epics (like the legs from H.UK, the belt which I believe is from H.Nexus) and try to get into raids as quickly as possible. So much stuff is going to offspecs etc. these days anyway.
_________________
Elsie
Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:04 pm
I'd write a ret guide but there's no real forum for it here. All the stuff I've written is now ancient in terms of forum posts. I wrote a huge Ret PvP thing before (that honestly could've been fixed up a little better) that's now buried somewhere in the asylum I think.

The basics of how to do ret, anyway, are:
1. STR > hit > expertise / crit > haste > ArP
2. The above is only for small differentiating values, e.g. 1 str > 1 expertise.
2a. Obviously larger values such as 100 haste > 5 STR
3. 4pc is desired at the 25-man level
4. Weapon damage range (aka "Top End") matters more than weapon DPS (reflective of Item Level).
5. DPS is still important.
6. There is no such thing as a "Hunter Weapon" if you can equip it.
7. On-Use trinkets are generally not as desirable as proc trinkets.
7a. Extremely good on-use are worthwhile, especially 2min CD trinkets.
8. For proc/on-use, determine their strength by determining their effective static bonus.
9. Some "Best" items are situational to the movement / gimmicks of a boss.
10. Consult redcap's spreadsheet on ElitistJerks before a raid. Know your upgrades.
Dorvan
Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:17 pm
Yeah, #4 is false. The only case in current content where speed manages to make up for weapon DPS is the Sword of Justice, which is slow enough to put it on par with the Colossal Skull-Clad Cleaver (but still behind all the other ilevel 200 epic weapons). All ilevel 200 epics are inferior to all ilevel 213s, and the one ilevel 226 is best in slot, despite being very much on the fast side (3.4). Finally, it's not top end, but "average" that matters, and the two while correlated are not always the same.

As a general rule of thumb, DPS is far more important than speed.

I also find #7 pretty questionable. The current best-in-slot trinkets happen not to have on use effects, but there's nothing inherent in on use effects that makes them inferior, that's just how the itemization turned out for this tier.
_________________


WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix