Skip to content
Maintankadin

Warrior MT still see Paladins as OT's

Raelvictus
Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:13 am

Warrior MT still see Paladins as OT's

Hi,

Long time lurker first time poster, so be gentle :-) I avidly read these forums on a daily basis as there is a lot of good information to be had, so a big thanks for that.

To give you a little background, we have three tanks in our guild, a DK, myself (Tankadin) and the GM is the MT (Warrior called Forneus) In a guild called Darksun Angel Cult on Eonar) we are not at the top of the raiding tree by any stretch of the imagination, but we are trying hard to plough through Ulduar 25 man.

We often have problems on the Iron Council, the way we normally do it is we leave the little guy at the back, I tank the middle sized guy and the Warrior MT takes Steelbreaker, however as he cannot decurse himself a healer has to do this, therefore stopping healing briefly, and that can often mean the MT dies. I am often told to pull the middle sized mob far enough away which means I cannot decurse either. Once Steelbreaker is dead, the Warrior MT then taunts of me and I move to the back to interrupt the little guy (bit hard to do with my limited interrupts but I do my best)

Anyway as an officer of the guild I made the mistake of suggesting that we swap around and I tank Steelbreaker so that I can decurse myself and reduce the burden of healing on myself.

This was the response I received and the officer post was then locked

I tanked Steelbreaker to death 3-4 times already ..its not hard. I can also spell reflect al lot of the damage i am getting and it. I wills ay this again ONLY ONCE ..I am prepared to swap roles where my character can be useful .. I can't heal and can't deal with adds like an AOE tanking class ..PERIOD..I willl not be repeating myself on this statement as it is a KNOWN fact and anyone that cares to claim that warriors make good healers or good AOE tanks will be laughed off any forum in WOW !! - END OF COMMENT ON THIS POINTLESS SUBJECT


Now I am no expert on the game . . . but there are no AoE mob packs on this encounter, its three separate mobs . . Right? Does anyone else have problems trying to get the old school warriors to accept that there are some single boss fights that we can provide invaluable help on? Anyone got any suggestions on how to overcome this biased behaviour, been trying for 18 months without any success 

Many thanks all, and thanks again for the great community site
amh
Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:18 am

Re: Warrior MT still see Paladins as OT's

I am out of words, sorry.

I wonder how he will react to paladins in 3.2.
Gamingdevil
Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:21 am

Re: Warrior MT still see Paladins as OT's

Well my Warrior officer seems to think he's the best MT as well (at least he always MT's unless I specifically ask for it) but he's not that thick.

That comment is ridiculous and insulting. As you said, there's no AoE in that encounter and it's not like you can make much use of your "healing" capabilities as well. I wonder if he realises you heal for about half as much as a holy paladin would and you only have a 7k buffed mana pool.

Too bad it's your guild leader, if you can't change his mind, there's not much you can do about it at all.
Sheherezade
Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:45 am

Re: Warrior MT still see Paladins as OT's

he sounds like a real moron

you suggested that you two switched tank positions, and he comes with some BS about switching roles and some totally irrelevant AoE tanking shit?

It's a decent suggestion in the situation, the healers couldn't handle the de-magicing, so you suggested that you took over Steelbreaker to be able to help out yourself.

The only thing that would be a valid argument in this thing would be if you'd have someone else put up demo shout for you, that's a few k off every attack on him as well compared to you... (or if you have much worse gear than him, but I assume that's not the case)


He is probably just scared of losing his taken-for-granted MT position to you ;)
Nèlya
Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:46 am

Re: Warrior MT still see Paladins as OT's

typically the warrior tank raid leader. Seeing his answer, I don't think you will get anything from him. He just want to be the MT and ther is nothing you can do about it. In my case the raid leader was DPS and was more interested about high Threat than anyting else tank related (as long as the tank can survive the fight reasonnably). I also was more present (=> geared) than other tanks, so I was naturally pushed to MT. (I will not comment about skill, as I believe our tank team is pretty competent). But yes, the sad side effect is that our war tanks simply rerolled or went dps.
Raelvictus
Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:50 am

Re: Warrior MT still see Paladins as OT's

Yes sorry forgot to clarify that part, we are geared very closely, depeding on loot drops some weeks he will outgear me slightly, other weeks i will outgear him slightly, so we are both very similar
Bobness
Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:50 am

Re: Warrior MT still see Paladins as OT's

It isn't unusual to see people reluctant to embrace change. I don't think being a warrior is the key issue. I'd say this guy isn't for turning. Not sure that any amount of reasoned discussion is going to be effective.

The only way to get around this kind of problem is for them to suggest it as an idea, i'm guessing that would take a whole lot of manouevering

Guess you'll have to suck it up if you enjoy being in the guild.
Arnax
Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:51 am

Re: Warrior MT still see Paladins as OT's

I always tank Steelbreaker. The most obvious reasons for it is that I can cleanse myself and that my burst threat is much higher than my warrior and druid tank collegues. Not having to threat cap dps in this fight is good, to avoid unecessary raid damage. The warrior tank is used on the lightning dude since he has the best interrupt abilities.

I also tank Steelbreaker on hardmode.

Your warrior tank really does not know what he is talking about, and the way he responded to your post shows that he also has chip on his shoulder. I'm sure he feels threatened by the other tanking classes and refuses to give them a shot at proving themselves better suited for anything.

Since he is your guild master, I guess you're stuck with him and his attitude :(


Edit: Having him taunt the second dude off you and put you on interrupt duties on the third is another proof that this guy has no clue. He just HAS to tank everything that moves, I guess.
Huma
Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:52 am

Re: Warrior MT still see Paladins as OT's

i just cant say how much u are losin when u are doin the fight in his terms, u cant interrupt as much as he can, and he cant self dispell, not usin class mechanics in a fight which is to much obvious is just fail, u cant even bully or bribe my warrior tank buddy, which is also the gm of my guild, to tank steelbreaker. doin it is wrong in many ways. oh and he thinks warriors arent good aoe tanks. idiot. does he know his class at all. and since when tanks needs to heal in boss fights, that is why u are takin healers, if u are losin healers, u are doin it wrong. if healers cant heal enough u are doin it wrong, comparin warriors and paladins in this 2 imaginary basement is sooo much vanilla wow. tell ur warrior mt to get his head out of his ass.
Sheherezade
Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:52 am

Re: Warrior MT still see Paladins as OT's

Nèlya wrote:typically the warrior tank raid leader. Seeing his answer, I don't think you will get anything from him. He just want to be the MT and ther is nothing you can do about it. In my case the raid leader was DPS and was more interested about high Threat than anyting else tank related (as long as the tank can survive the fight reasonnably). I also was more present (=> geared) than other tanks, so I was naturally pushed to MT. (I will not comment about skill, as I believe our tank team is pretty competent). But yes, the sad side effect is that our war tanks simply rerolled or went dps.

strangely enough, same happened in my guild, the warriors re-rolled and now we don't have a single warrior tank left...

seems warriors are all about "MT or nothing"...OT doesn't exist in their vocabulary :P
Bregor
Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:53 am

Re: Warrior MT still see Paladins as OT's

We have a warrior, DK and paladin tanking trio, all officers and raid leaders. On IC, the warrior tanks the little one due to the ease of interrupting, the DK tanks the midsized one and I tank Steelbreaker, since I can cleanse myself. When Steelbreaker dies, I move to the little one to help stunning while keeping an eye on the DK to take over if he dies.
It is well understood that we all are MTs, and there are only preferences if the boss mechanics or skill requires it. (E.g. we have the DK tank the general for obvious reasons, while I always tank Ignis since apparently turning him on scorches is too hard for the others. ;))

That said, our warrior MT is oblivious to the skills and talents of other classes beyond the general knowledge that "paladins used to be great AoE tanks and now they are good boss tanks too", "bears have lots of armor and HP" and "DKs are OP". :P
Sheherezade
Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:56 am

Re: Warrior MT still see Paladins as OT's

Bregor wrote:"DKs are OP"

indeed we are, tihi :)
Noradin
Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:59 am

Re: Warrior MT still see Paladins as OT's

This is a good example why I think having one person handle guildmaster, raidlead and tanking at the same time is a very bad idea.
Basically there is nothing you can do if he is wrong - and everyone is wrong sometimes.

I'd like to see the whole thread to be able to properly comment on the cited post, but the way you describe the situation I wonder what kind of guild(raid) are you in where an officer can get away with posting such utmost nonsense as reason for his actions concerning the guild(raid)?
Raelvictus
Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:03 am

Re: Warrior MT still see Paladins as OT's

This made me cry

it is well understood that we all are MTs, and there are only preferences if the boss mechanics or skill requires it.


That is all I want for all three tanks to be equal, and to play to the strengths of each class . . I found that a simple concept, that I beleived would benefit us . . . alas not turned out that way, I guess as the GM there will probably be no way to change his mind. Glad I was not the only one finding it odd though

Thanks all, much appreciated, I may be classed as a OT still but at least I feel vindicated
Sheherezade
Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:07 am

Re: Warrior MT still see Paladins as OT's

Raelvictus wrote:This made me cry

it is well understood that we all are MTs, and there are only preferences if the boss mechanics or skill requires it.


That is all I want for all three tanks to be equal, and to play to the strengths of each class . . I found that a simple concept, that I beleived would benefit us . . . alas not turned out that way, I guess as the GM there will probably be no way to change his mind. Glad I was not the only one finding it odd though

Thanks all, much appreciated, I may be classed as a OT still but at least I feel vindicated

don't let it get to you, keep up the good fight! ;)