Skip to content
Maintankadin

2 Seal Questions

Anaro
Wed May 16, 2007 3:18 pm

2 Seal Questions

I have 2 seal questions here, and I hope I haven't missed some post somewhere that's answered them, I did perform a cursory check at least.

1) Seal of Vengeance has a lot of potential, certainly. Obviously the greatest complaint is its lack of reliability, I for one have been frustrated far too many times seeing a couple unlucky misses and all the sudden my 5 stacks have dropped to 3 and then to 1 and I gotta go all the way back up again. Here's the questions of SoV: Does anyone know the approximate proc rate for SoV? Is there some way that you can refresh all the procs on a target at once (as judging it was supposed to do before live BC)? Other than perhaps Crusader Strike. And is there some way to improve odds of it stacking and sticking other than tossing my beloved CB?

2) I've noticed that since I've picked up Imp JotC, the debuff doesn't refresh on the mob anymore. It regularly expires, regardless of how many times I hit the target during the duration. Has anyone else observed something similar? Or know of it?

Thank you for your assistance.
-Anaro, Chaos Deified
US-Lightbringer

(Haven't got a fancy tag yet)
Higan
Wed May 16, 2007 3:43 pm
Good news!

2.1 fixes the judgment refresh problem, I have had the same happen to me on other judgments on live. Very annoying.

As for Seal of Vengeance, news from the test grounds say that regular melee hits will refresh the duration of the dot and the +spell damage the seal receives has been increased. So needless to say its much better in the next patch.
_________________
Arcand
Wed May 16, 2007 4:12 pm
The current (live) functionality of SoV is, I believe, 20 procs per minute.

That means if you use a 3.00 speed weapon (20 attacks per minute) SoV will proc on every swing*. For any other speed, the proc chance is

100% x (weapon speed)/3.00

Here http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?t=38&start=0 is some number-crunching I did a while ago on SoV's performance at various weapon speeds, although I still think there's something wrong with how I interpreted the "drop chance" number and I haven't gotten around to revisiting it yet.

(I'd talk about how much I'd love to see a 'Seal Mastery' talent in the Prot tree that boosts Vengeance and Blood, but I dare not - there are too damn many talents in there already!)

* Edit: Sloppy language. At speed 3.00 SoV will proc on every hit, not every swing.
_________________
Scarlet Crusade - 0/49/12 - Uncrushable at 13.1k
Gruul the Dragonkiller attacks. You block.
Alixander
Thu May 17, 2007 7:43 am
Assuming it is a 20 PPM system for SoV, wouldn't one viable option be to get weapons that are slow enough you will get 20 connecting swings a minute? I say connecting because you can have a faster than 3.0 speed weapon if you predict potential misses. Let's say you have a 85% total chance to hit against mobs. This means you need to swing 23 or 24 times in a minute to connect 20 times. So a 2.6 speed weapon would be doable assuming that much chance to hit.

EDIT: Just had a thought... Jere's idea of having rolling SoV on a mob brings up a very valid question... who is attributed for the hate for SoV? Is it the person who put the first SoV up or the person who refreshed it last? If it's the former then couldn't a tank start off with SoV, put up a few procs of it, then swap to SoR, while another paladin does SoV and keeps it up generating little threat, lots of damage, and giving that damage to the tank.
_________________


My Blog: http://kazielmmo.blogspot.com/
jere
Thu May 17, 2007 12:42 pm
If it helps I have tested multiple paladin SoV attacks before. I don't know for sure how the threat is attributed but I did find that:

1. If I started the first proc, all the Holy Vengeance ticks showed up in my combat log for me and it showed on scrolling combat text.

2. If I let the other paladin start it but I added stacks to it, then I never saw a single holy vengeance tick, even though my combat log said I applied holy vengeance to the mob.

So it looks like at least the dmg is attributed to the one who starts the stacks, and I assume the threat with it.

However, both of us could Judge SoV for our own dmg/threat regardless.
_________________