Skip to content
Maintankadin

Anyone tanked Drek recently?

Dynaheir
Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:06 am

Anyone tanked Drek recently?

It's been a while since I did it regularly.. Good ol' days... Anyways, I found myself in a bit of a problem the other day. "Tanked" galv in threat gear and got beat up pretty bad, so I wouldn't let it happen again.. I 'rage-starved' 15 seconds into the fight against Drek and some drood bear picked it up after my epic fail Sad

I recall someone saying to tank him topless... Hoping for AV weekend to give me the chance Smile

Bottom line, what stats would be appropiate to hold him steady and at the same time require minimal 'BG-healing' ? (knowing how hard that is to come across...)..


_________________
Sabindeus
Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:10 am
I don't usually get threat starved against Drek because I usually don't have to deal with TPS of any real import. The only time someone pulls off of me on Drek is when:

A) Some scrub bear/warrior taunts it.
B) I die because no one healed me.
C) Someone is very rarely doing legitimate damage, in which case I just taunt it back.
_________________
Zhalseran
Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:34 am
I don't even try, really. Everyone just goes nuts and it doesn't end up mattering if theres a tank. I try and grab the dogs and any stray warmasters on Drek though, cause they tend to go pew pews on the healers, who you DO need.
_________________
Yeti
Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:42 am
I have only tanked Drek a few times. I've had to taunt him back a couple times, but in the end it didn't make much of a difference as he went down very fast. I was also lucky to have a few good healers who actually paid attention to me.

I use a set with decent spelldamage (~350) and decent stamina so I run around 15-16k health with Kings and Fort.

I have starting off popping wings and judging Crusader to maximize threat, simply because the capabilities of the dps group are unknown to me, and I don't do AV all that much. I did switch to seal of Wisdom once to regen mana a bit, but in the end Drek died really fast so it didn't help much.

If you are not getting damaged enough, try the no-pants option. Or pull with some of the warmasters up. I had some extra "friends" on me one time and it was a breeze with decent heals.
Igrado
Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:51 am
I haven't done AV much since 1.9, but...

From the mitigation side, KZ-ready blues is enough, but KZ-drops are a bit better, if you have that iLevel gear. From the threat side, KZ-ready may not be enough threat if DPS jumps right in (which they will.) Start threat with max rank consecrate and JOR, and if u lose it pop wings and pump out, another JOR another max rank consecrate, and Avenger's shield, whatever threat you can produce. If that doesn't work, taunt. If that doesn't, BOP.

If your holding threat fine but drop below 30% mana, try taking of your shield... I can't think of any other ideas. Switch yourself to BOW... pop a potion... /sit for a quick crit?...

It's usually hard to tell what's going to happen, but once enough ppl get inside, DPS can usually burn the boss down.

If I see a "tank" with 2k less HP than me grab him, I just keep running S/JoRighteousness until he dies, then grab Vann. If the tank has at least HP comparable to mine, I judge Light and start healing, even though it's pathetic in Prot gear, OR I consecrate and pick up any adds laying around. It really makes no damn difference who tanks him as long as they have some sort of reasonable tank gear, a clue how to tank, and 2 healers.
Utena
Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:50 pm
Tanked, and won, twice last night. =) 11 minutes and 15 minutes.

I healbotted all the way to RH, capped and guarded, then switch to tank gear for the kill.
_________________
Afraithe
Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:05 am
When I'm with a few guildies, we go straight up to Drek, I tank him and all his warmasters/dogs at the same time (kiting them around backwards to avoid all the whirlwinds). Quick and easy.
_________________
cdan
Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:15 am
I haven't tanked him lately, but I did bubble the druid tank the other day when I has healbotting around AV. Total accident as my healbot macros aren't as familiar as my tnaking ones so I pressed the wrong button at a key moment, but it was very funny watching Drek wade through several squishies before a warrior picked him up.
fafhrd
Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:43 am
The only two times alliance actually got to pull Drek this weekend, I ended up tanking him just like usual. Sadly I don' t have Deterrence anymore so this didn't last very long.

I did get a Renew and I think a Rejuve one of the times, but he two shotted me before they ticked.

Misdirecting random warriors during the fight seems to help though.
_________________

The original Level 70 Lore-stalker
Level 70 Hunter - Eredar (retired)
Menardi
Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:56 am
When AV weekend is up a few friends and I all queue at the same time, join the same AV and rush FWRH. With a few decent healers you can easily tank Drek and all of the Warmasters. The extra damage from the other mobs will help a bit with mana. You don't get as much honor per win this way but you can win VERY quickly.

As for required stats, I'd say you don't even need to touch a 25man to do it fine.
_________________
Jarkeld
Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:54 am
I tanked galv as an ms/fury warrior wielding thunder and half green/blues(all pvp gear, not actaul tanking stuff) in battle stance by accidence once from 100% to 0%. He's not a good way to judge your mitigation.
_________________
In the beginning the universe was created. This has made mana people upset and generally been decided as a bad idea.
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Darkspear&n=Jarkeld