Skip to content
Maintankadin

Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

thrashsoul
Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:40 am

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

randomjibberish wrote:Just a small correction:
[Charred Saronite Greaves] drop off Ignis, not Razorscale.

Thanks for the great list :)


Pretty sure they drop off both.
Petrus
Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:59 am

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

6/8/09:

Updated Gear Locations/Prices:
- Bulwark of Algalon from (surprise, eh?) Algalon in Ulduar25
- Charred Saronite Greaves from Ignis in Ulduar25

Added/Fixed Gear:
- Cloak of Peaceful Resolutions requires Wyrmrest Accord - Honored, not Revered
- Added Bulwark of Algalon, no WoWHead link yet
- Moved all shields down one slot
- Moved Signet of Winter, Platinum Band of the Aesir up a slot due to Leviathan's Coil armor nerf
Corman
Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

I still think the Mark of the Unyielding neck is too lowly rated...
moduspwnens
Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:51 pm

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

I think that the Mimiron10 Hard boots should be rated higher than the Charred Saronite Greaves. I also think that Royal Seal of King Llane should be tied for first in trinkets.

Aside from that, I agree with just about everything, if we weighted block as favorable (and we may once they make some changes). Great list.
Petrus
Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

I'll agree on Mark of the Unyielding.

I don't like the Mimiron-10 boots. Parry and expertise eeeeewwwww. They have more stamina than other pieces, yes, but are unfortunately itemized. 159 stam vs. 127 stam, though, I can't argue that much. I don't want to rate them higher, though. At least tied.
theckhd
Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

moduspwnens wrote: I also think that Royal Seal of King Llane should be tied for first in trinkets.

I agree with modus here. Despite being a parry on-use, it's still pretty potent and a great always-on EH trinket.
Petrus
Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:49 pm

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

After looking at what I have and what I'd use, yeah, I'd agree on that trinket. It, Heart of Iron, and Furnace Stone seem to be the three BiS trinkets (if you can spare the defense of Repelling Charge, etc.).
moduspwnens
Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:51 pm

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

Petrus wrote:I don't like the Mimiron-10 boots. Parry and expertise eeeeewwwww. They have more stamina than other pieces, yes, but are unfortunately itemized. 159 stam vs. 127 stam, though, I can't argue that much. I don't want to rate them higher, though. At least tied.


Mimiron10 Hard boots
Charred Saronite Greaves

I consider the hit/expertise basically a wash. If I need threat, I'll deal with it in another way.
The armor on both is the same.

Mimiron10 (Hard) Boots (over Charred Saronite Greaves)
+32 Stamina (+Modifiers)
-0.3% avoidance (before DR)
- 7 Strength
- 5 Def Rating

Heck, let's just assume that the 5 Defense rating covers the avoidance you're losing from DR on parry/dodge.

Mimiron10 (Hard) Boots (over Charred Saronite Greaves)
+32 Stamina (+Modifiers)
-0.3% avoidance
- 7 Strength

/shrug. By my stat weighting, it's a clear upgrade.
Spotnick
Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

Ok, I'm not a stat guru, but for some reason, opposed to this list, Rawr is rating Mark of the Unyielding above Necklace of Unerring Mettle, and Boudless Ambition is between the 2.

I just got Necklace ofMark of the Unyielding last night and I was wondering if it's worth switching to it while I had Unerring Mettle before, Dodge vs Block, and of course a 226 iLvl item is more interesting than a 219, but according to Rawr, the dodge one wins without a doubt.

So I'm just wondering what is the logic here by putting it 2nd on the list vs 3rd for the other for neck pieces?!
Petrus
Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:17 am

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

And I think it has to shuffle block gear and MT gear together or else it becomes two separate lists. I could probably separate them out but then how do I determine some things? T8 helm has dodge AND block and is actually an alright all-around helm and a big upgrade over most other helms, but does the BR on it make it the best block set helm? It's too awkward to split them, imo, so I leave them together.

But yes, I think Mark of the Unyielding is a very strong piece, similar to how Amulet of Autopsy was but it's better for its iLevel than Autopsy was (it was a bit low on defense for tanks just starting naxx, among other things). It just so happens that the best pure block set piece is Unerring Mettle. For Maintanking I'd definitely use Unyielding over Unerring Mettle, and maybe over Crystal Forest but I like my hit rating as well so to me they're very close.
Metarra
Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

I like this guide the most because it lists several items and their ranking per slot, since some paladins do not have access to some Ulduar gear, much less hardmode gear. Petrus could you perhaps designate what each piece is best for? Like AV/EH/MT and B/T etc, or even comments about its strengths over the other pieces listed that share the same rank.
Petrus
Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

The main thing I wanted out of it was to be a list - if I added comments it wouldn't be quite as simple and would probably become TL;DR for a lot of people. Jayson's guide already fills that niche very well and covers many pieces. He has good explanations and everything, so use his for now.

I will however begin to add in some of those things on my guide in some form, I'm just not sure how yet. Perhaps as a second post within the original thread. We'll see.
steadypal
Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

so petrus u dont care much for the 4pc bonus? and u also went for badge neck over maly 25neck? u like the hit and tiny bit more avoidance better than the 18stam possibly more?
moduspwnens
Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:51 pm

Re: Petrus's Master Gear List Discussion Thread

Titanskin Cloak is incorrectly marked as dropping from Freya25 (Hard). It drops from Mimiron25 (Hard).