Skip to content
Maintankadin

WotLK Complete Tanking Gear Rankings - TankadinPoints

Grims
Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:03 pm
for me there is no need to compare block and migration items, i am collecting both sets and using the one which fits best for the boss. i prefere avoidance items, the chest from sartharion hard mode and the legs from malygos are awesome for avoidance.

i think until uludar evry pally who is farming the content atm will have both sets, and can use the best for the boss
Barathorn
Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:04 am
Good work Cordelia, I'll incorperate this into the main sticky on Thursday.

Thank you!

Barathorn
_________________
ferthadin
Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:29 am
Here's a case in point as to why I think this equation is poor:

262 heroic Ziggurat Imprinted Chestguard
242 heroic Sun-Emblazoned Chestplate


To me, the Sun-Emblazoned Chestplate appears to be the better item.

Same armor/stamina
Extra socket (more stamina, or defense, whichever you need more)
more defense
Hit rating

vs.

parry
Strength

I'd readily sacrifice parry/Str for more Def/Stamina, and hit rating is just icing on the cake.


I see the 1st piece as more of a death knight tanking piece, since they rely more on parry, and benefit more from the STR, maybe warrior's too, since their blocking mechanisms aren't as reliable.
Scaradin
Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:39 am
This is a really nice list. It is nice to have something that quantifies an item. I can agree that not accounting for block rating/value can easily cause an overlook to an item.

Perhaps one way would be to give a "bonus" to items with block rating after their name.

For example:

373 25man Legplates of Sovereignty +0
347 25man Valorous Redemption Legguards +X

where "X" is a value for having the block rating. This wouldn't change the 'hard value' for a tanking item (dodge, parry, miss) but its 'soft value.'

Just a thought=0
Garath.Gorefiend
Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:33 am
Its a nice list, I dont necessarily agree with the rankings though.

DR plays huge havoc with some pieces.

And you seem to be over-valuing gem-slots...

I currently have/use a spreadsheet that calculates DR based on your current gear for each piece.

And generally, I am gemming each piece with appropriate slot gems.

Some pieces vastly disagree with your rankings.

A good example is in legs:

You have Legplates of Sovereignty as the top item. And if you have avoided stacking parry in other slots, they are.

However, you have Valorous as the 2nd best item. and while they do have the capability for the most stamina and are a nice choice as a block set piece, their pure avoidance is abominable. I currently have them ranked as 3rd and very close to Greaves of Turbulence

Dragon Brood Legguards are 2nd on my list instead and, if you have stacked parry in other slots, can actually be the BEST avoidance piece you can get for legs at present.
_________________
Garath Lvl 80 Paladin, Gorefiend
cordelia
Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:29 pm
Thanks for all the responses. Forgive me for not quoting everyone, I did, but my cat stepped on the keyboard and just wiped out a long response post Crying or Very sad , so here's the rewrite:

(1) re: the chestguards. I disagree, the Ziggurat has much more pure avoidance and that outweighs any stam from the second. The 11 defense rating is important pre-cap, but I can't weigh that separately due to the defense cap. I mention 540 in the intro specifically - players have to reach that first, and that may mean ignoring rankings.

(2) re: Garath's post. What is DR? If defense rating, read above, if Damage Reduction, could you go into more detail? And I agree with your critique of the legs. I had wanted to post EH, avoidance, threat breakdowns for tankadinpoints, but I didn't due to problems with the BBcode tables - I link to the breakdowns in the Intro, though.

(3) Scaradin: nice idea, I may do that if I don't figure out a good way to split EH into EH and mitigation or other method to deal with block rating soon.

(4)
mirkodeluxe
Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:17 am
Lets not be over-zealous regarding Northrend items.
I agree that its probably not a good idea to hold on to old T6/Sunwell epics for too long but not all of us have the time to grind instances and badges for the best items and I really dont think all the BS items are superior to solid 70 epics.
I have replaced all my gear, but it wasnt long ago that I still had rings, trinkets and boots from level70.
_________________
Mavrix
Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:01 pm
Cordelia - Good start, you know what needs to improve already as I see in your theorycrafting page.
This does seem awfully close to that old warrior list posted on tankspot in a lot of ways (and I think that warrior list was similarly flawed).
Hopefully the changes you make will improve things somewhat.

On thing I do notice is that several of the "sources" for the drops that you have listed are incorrect. Many things you list as coming from Naxx 10 are actually ilvl 213 Naxx 25 gear.
_________________
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness must be the father.

Mavrix
BE Tankadin
Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dalaran&n=Mavrix
aleyona
Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:05 am
I'm really concerned with the value listed (or lack thereof) for Block rating. If you had a choice between 30 dodge rating and 18 Block rating, what do you choose? Avoidance wise, the 18 Block rating counts for more.

Then, you have the issue of not taking into consideration the other gear supporting it. What if that minor difference pushed you into the avoidance cap? Would the dodge still be better just because it's valued better. Personally I'd rather know that I'm over the block cap rather than being under it with slightly less raw avoidance.

Concerning Block Value (This is based on the assumption that you are Block-capped). Your block stops 200+ BV(items)+ BV(shield)+ BV(str) damage. The idea is that each attack based on RNG overtime will produce that amount of damage less than normal if blocked. So, If you have someone with 50% raw avoidance and 1000 BV, and another with 46% raw avoidance and 1100 BV - which receives less damage?

When taking an average of 8000 damage per hit, they will be the same. If the damage increases, the person with the block value begins to take more damage overall and would need more avoidance to equal out (at 9k damage they would need 47%). On the same token, taking less damage per hit (4k), With that amount of BV you would only need to have 40% avoidance to equal out the damage taken overall.

I'm not a mathematician so my numbers could be a bit off - That's just a rough way to explain how BV does have a distinct correlation to EH and overall tanking ability. Yes, there are ways of quantifying BV - I'm not really sure how you would overall.

TL;DR - Block Rating needs to be counted for tank points - Block Value is quantifiable and directly effects tanking ability - Items should be considered in the set, not individually counted for points.
_________________
Aleyona of Srs Bsns
Dobbelsteen
Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:31 am
206 25man Cloak of the Shadowed Sun
191 badge Platinum Mesh Cloak

Imo the badge cloak should be rated higher because it's got 13 more defense rating, only 1 less dodge rating (easily countered by the additional defense) and 32 hit rating which is always nice. All at the cost of 340ish armor.

I got the cloak of shadowed sun last week, but decided to ticket a GM and give it to my DK tank because I'd much rather have the badge cloak, and he benefits more from the additional armor than me (until next patch :p)

PS, you forgot to mention Shadow of the Ghoul
_________________
Mavrix
Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Cordelia: Are you going to take a stab at all this again and see if we can get things a bit more accurate or has the project been abandoned?

If you're looking at redoing things/adjusting things I would suggest devaluing parry and increasing block rating valuation.
_________________
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness must be the father.

Mavrix
BE Tankadin
Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dalaran&n=Mavrix
OSDeath
Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:34 pm
Is there a reason that weapons are not included yet?

This list really makes my life so much easier. As much as I love theorycrafting and such I can never quite get my head around so many stats at one time. Thanks for taking the time and doing this. It is greatly appreciated.

-Prot