Skip to content
Maintankadin

Tankadin Engeineering helm worth it?

Barathorn
Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:31 am
Things that go bang over xray specs for me as well. As for the Helm, dependant on what mats I have after having everything else crafted will determine if I go for it or not. Chances are I will. Found LOTS of mote clouds already.

Barathorn
_________________
Precio
Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:51 pm
Also, I have a feeling that Blizz might implement something similar to what they did with sunwell, and have upgrades to the goggles (maybe each tier?)

I may be overly optimistic about this, but I believe that this does seem like a very realistic plan.

Well that is...IMO.
_________________

5/15 Naxx - 1/1 Sarth -
Zoltar
Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:48 pm
I guess the way I look at it is if I craft my engineer's goggles, and they are comparable to T7 hat, then when the tokens drop that helps one of the non-engineers gear quicker. This in turn helps the guild to progress faster IMO.
In BC we expected that clothies crafted their SF/FSW/PMC sets prior to raiding so they were not competing with tanks and hunters for tier tokens who did not have as many options available to them outside of raid drops. Much the same situation really.
_________________
.
.
.
Ewige
Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:21 am
The only thing I use the new goggles for is mote farming in the basin. It's good money and I already made everything back from the initial investment 5 times over. I did get a nicer avoidance helm from the 10 man 4 horsemangs chest that I use for everything else, though. After the initial rush to get def capped, there's really no point in wearing this.

I *love* rocket boots and missile gloves for pulling and pvping (except when they asplode). It's a damn shame these don't stack with enchants.

But I seriously need better motivation to keep engineering :^/
Spotnick
Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:08 pm
Goggles + Mote Extractor FTW.

But I'm happy they did a belt clip for cloud detection now, in case you replace the goggles.

But other than that... gee it's a ridiculous profession to level... after seeing all the skins I didn't skin in Northrend, I should have leveled with skinning lol.
Dane
Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:54 pm
Here's one for you Engineers...I'm about to drop it on my Pally. I only got it for the BC Goggles, and have found some use in mote extracting. I'm going to make him a JC/BS instead.

Now, my DK is levelling mining to feed him to level those...but I'm thinking of picking up Eng as well for Eternal gathering.

My question...can you track mineral nodes at the same time as gas clouds, since one of them is item-based tracking, not a profession ability?
_________________
Kelaan
Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:28 pm
Yes, you can.
Shathus
Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:59 pm
I'm trying to make the same decision. I originally did eng on my druid for the dps and healing googles, and decided to do the same for my pally. Especially since I never really got to raid on him (pally) they were awesome and still doing me well so far in Northrend. However, I was looking into another profession just to do something different (will keep eng on my druid for the roflcopter, chopper, mote extractor and other fun stuff) but was thinking of maybe doing JC to take advantage of already having my mining leveled, thoughts?

Also, on a possibly related note.. in Borden Tundra, Steam Clouds show up on my map, can you use the Mote Extractor on these? I never built one on my pally so hadn't been able to test it out, but I always see a couple of them in that area and wondered what they were for.
_________________

Digren
Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:38 pm
Engineering most definitely needs a boost. I've been one since I started at the beginning, all the way through the Bad Times in early BC, and I feel that its in the same shape or worse.

The sad part is, they could so very easily make it great, without having to add any new items. Here's my easy two step process:

1. Look up the best stamina enchant for each slot that also has an engineering-only enchant.
2. Add that amount of stamina to the engineering-only enchant.

That's sufficient. Enchanters don't have to give up gem slots to enchant their rings. Blacksmiths don't have to give up leg armor patches to add their sockets. Why do paladins have to give up the standard (i.e. baseline - zero-profession people have it) enchant in order to get their cool thing? It's punishing me for trying to do something fun.

Obviously I would prefer if they'd make the engineering enchant stack. But, I suspect that would have more difficult implementation ramifications in the code. Simply adding buffs - and stamina is the most universal - would be sufficient.

Compare the available offerings for other special-case enchants. Consider, for example, Boar's Speed (or its upgrade). There's a low-level enchant that's just +8% run speed. How many people would use it over the stamina enchant? Almost none. So they put some stamina on Boar's Speed, and it becomes a closer compare and a more reasonable trade-off. Look next at the weapon chains. Few would use a baseline weapon chain now. But, with some added hit rating, it becomes pretty viable.

Just do the same to our enchants Blizzard and I, at least, will be satisfied.
Petrus
Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:59 am
I spent the cash (about 3400 total to level it from 415 to 440) and made the goggles. I won't have to roll on a T7 helm until Naxx25, and it opens up that many more helm tokens for our priests, paladins, and warlocks.

Here's hoping for some buffs, though. Sure does need some.
_________________