Skip to content
Maintankadin

Regemming as JC in 3.2

KysenMurrin
Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

I should have paid attention to what you said there; instead I regemmed for the socket bonuses and wound up with less health than before the patch. Arg. (~100 difference, when by all rights it should've gone up.)
Candiru
Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:51 am

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

Honorshammer wrote:http://honorscode.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-to-regem-with-epic-gems-jcs-and-non.html

I found it better to put my dragonseyes in red sockets still.

So would you give up 20 agility for 18 stamina. I would.


I wouldn't, as you can see by my glove enchant!
fuzzygeek
Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:57 pm

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

With the larger gem bonuses and smaller socket bonuses, until you start getting upgrades I don't know that it's worthwhile to chase socket bonuses.

For example, t8.25 pants are red/yellow socket with 12 stam bonus.

With agil/stam and def/stam, you're looking at 10 agil, 42 stam, 10 def from gems and socket bonus.
With agil/stam and solid.de, you're looking at 10agil, 66 stam. (-10 def, +24 stam)
With stam and solid.de, you're looking at 81 stam. (-10 agil, -10 def, +39 stam)

So, something to think about.
Mert
Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:10 pm

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

Personally I'll probably keep my +12 Stam socket bonuses, consider losing my +9 Socket bonuses (especially if it's a red socket) if I feel I need a touch more health after I've seen the Coliseum hard modes and completely ignore my +6 Stam socket bonuses in favour of Solid Dragon's Eyes.
Corman
Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:57 pm

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

Hrm.... odd, I had to regem anyway due to loss of meta and simply matched all the sockets and converted, due to Def gains, one green to a blue and I ended up about 60 armor, 500 hp up over my old gear.

Used Def/Stam, Stam and Agi/Stam + 3x Solid Dragons eyes.

Now I gained +12 Stam from Enchanting, +30 stam from Dragonseyes buffs but considering all the losses in cheating on prismatics and stuff, worked for me.
Petrus
Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:31 pm

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

I went with all Solid gems except for:

One Agi/Stam (Shifting) to match the meta - it went in the red socket in the Indestructible Plate Girdle.
I have three Def/Stam (Enduring) gems in my gear still. I went double Stam in the red/yellow sockets of the T8 legs but all blue/yellow combinations ended up getting solid/enduring, with an enduring also in my T8 helm socket.
Honorshammer
Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:54 pm

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

Candiru wrote:
Honorshammer wrote:http://honorscode.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-to-regem-with-epic-gems-jcs-and-non.html

I found it better to put my dragonseyes in red sockets still.

So would you give up 20 agility for 18 stamina. I would.


I wouldn't, as you can see by my glove enchant!


We shall have to agree to disagree then.
Isoya
Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:25 pm

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

Havn't posted in ages but I just had to!(As JC/BS myself.)

With the larger gem bonuses and smaller socket bonuses, until you start getting upgrades I don't know that it's worthwhile to chase socket bonuses.

For example, t8.25 pants are red/yellow socket with 12 stam bonus.

With agil/stam and def/stam, you're looking at 10 agil, 42 stam, 10 def from gems and socket bonus.
With agil/stam and solid.de, you're looking at 10agil, 66 stam. (-10 def, +24 stam)
With stam and solid.de, you're looking at 81 stam. (-10 agil, -10 def, +39 stam)

So, something to think about.


It doesn't work out that way though I also thought so at first. To have equal comparisons, either you have to include socketing the solid.de in another piece of gear in the first example or you're going to have to use a regular epic stam in the second and third examples. So what it really works out to is:

With agil/stam and def/stam (and a solid.de elsewhere), you're looking at 10 agil, 63 stam, 10 def from gems and socket bonus.
With agil/stam and solid.de, you're looking at 10agil, 66 stam. (-10 def, +3 stam)
With stam and solid.de, you're looking at 81 stam. (-10 agil, -10 def, +18 stam)

Orrrr:

With agil/stam and def/stam, you're looking at 10 agil, 42 stam, 10 def from gems and socket bonus.
With agil/stam and stam, you're looking at 10agil, 45 stam. (-10 def, +3 stam)
With stam and stam, you're looking at 60 stam. (-10 agil, -10 def, +18 stam)

The choices are more balanced when you look at it like this.

It's not like these are going to be the only two sockets you'll have in your gear. Even if you don't put the solid.de in the pants it'll go elsewhere and you'll still benefit from the extra +21 sta they have over regular epic stam gems. It might be since I'm a BS also, I have no trouble finding places to socket my solid.de's and still chase after socket bonuses. I mean, there could be zero blue sockets in my gear and I'd still be able to match up every single bonus if I wanted. I remember a thread earlier where the OP said that JC pallys were going to have a hard time using their Dragon Eyes properly in 3.2 since our T8 has only one blue socket.
fuzzygeek
Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

Isoya wrote:The choices are more balanced when you look at it like this.


Very good point. I have a very modular gear set (4 different item rack sets), so I tend to focus very tightly on wringing the most ouf of each individual piece. I'll have to take another look and break out some spreadsheets.

Thanks.

Edit: Yeah looking at my primary progression set, I'm looking at a 30 stam vs 30 agil/20def trade off, chasing sockets. My situation bits don't need to be that tight, so can be ignored for now ...
KysenMurrin
Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:38 pm

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

The best thing to do with this min-maxing now, I think, is to ignore JC gems entirely. Now that they're coloured, they can go anywhere with no change in what you get from them, so you may as well evaluate every piece assuming 30 stam blues. They're just counted as a +63 stam added on top of everything else.
Candiru
Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

If you are a JC/BS, I would stick ALL my dragonseyes in my primsatic sockets. You have 3 of each so its easy.

Means if you like swapping pieces in and out for certain fights, you don't have to worry about getting an error message when you try to equip as your dragon's eyes are always in the same slots.

If you value 18stam over 20 def, then you should enchant your gloves and shield with Stam, and probably use the +30stam shoulder enchant as well? I see you have 20def on your shield rather than 18stam, why is this the case when you just said you preferred 18stam to 20def!
Hailo
Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

My tankadin is a JC/BS, so I am putting my Dragonseyes in the bonus socket in my bracers, gloves, and belt. As for the other pieces, I don't have a hard and fast rule.

In my Conqueror's Aegis Faceguard, I matched color with an Enduring Eye of Zul. I only give up 3 stamina by not using a Solid Majestic Zircon, and I pick up 10 defense. I was already a few points over 540, so that little boost gave me the comfort zone I needed to +20 defense from my shield and put +18 stamina instead. So I gave up 3 stamina in the head slot, but gain 18 in my shield, for a net boost of 15 stamina. So in that piece I stuck with the socket bonus.

In my Saronite Plated Legguards, the socket bonus is only six defense. If I ignore color and socket a Solid Majestic Zircon, I get an extra 15 stamina. I'm still a few points over the cap, so I can give up six defense and still be immune to crits. So in this piece, I ignored the socket bonus.
OSDeath
Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:32 pm

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

Would it ever be useful to gem a Thick Dragon's Eye to free up for 2 Solid Magestic Zircon's? I'm just wondering if it's worth trying to gem up that way or does the gear at T8/T9 fluctuate sockets too much with upgrades to make it worthwhile?

-Prot
Digren
Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:57 pm

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

Hailo wrote:I was already a few points over 540, so that little boost gave me the comfort zone I needed to +20 defense from my shield and put +18 stamina instead.

The shield enchant is a very poor place to swap out defense for stamina. You don't have an armory link in your posts, but before you make this change you should:

1) Swap out your cloak enchant for armor.
2) Swap out your glove enchant for armor.
3) Swap out your chest enchant for health.
4) Swap out your shoulder enchant for stamina.

At least the first three of those are hands-down better net gains to effective health, with relatively less loss, than swapping out the enchant on your shield.
Veilan
Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:58 pm

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

The big screw-us-over however is not that they're not prismatic anymore... but that there are no dual-coloured JC only gems. This means we are less versatile than other professions, because we are forced to rely on 3 unicolour gems if we want to use our self-only buff. Depending on your gear and open slots, that may be a problem.

For the most crass comparison, consider blacksmiths, who by design have no meta problem, ever, with their free prismatic slots. If their 1.5 item credits less make up for that versatility... well, I'd gladly take +50 stamina only on my JC gem to maintain it being prismatic.