Skip to content
Maintankadin

Regarding Gear Advice Questions

Lore
Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:14 am
I don't think post count is an accurate indication of experience whatsoever. I've locked/moved posts from people with 200+ before because the answer was in the sticky, and I've seen some of the most insightful and helpful advice come from people who only registered to post it.

And again, I see nothing wrong with answering simple questions for new players.
_________________
I can keep rhythm with no metronome.
Ciandin
Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:46 pm
I like the idea of having two distinct "gear" forums; the first being a "check my gear" forum and the second being "general gear theories".

Make sure the gear check forum is listed first so those people that don't read ALL the topics still accidentally put their question in the right location.

As far as the X number of posts privileges go, thats exactly what they do at Elitist jerks. You cannot start a new post until you have a post count of 10. If we were to keep the gear check sticky in its current form, I would highly recommend this, but since we're looking at revamping the gear forum entirely I don't think this will be an issue.
_________________
Thing is if you're using daggers in both hands and Sinister Strike isn't recommended then how would you build combo points?
Lore
Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:55 pm
Elitist Jerks is a great forum, but has a very different focus than Maintankadin, and thus their policies tend to be quite different as well. I'm not fond of quite a few of their policies.
_________________
I can keep rhythm with no metronome.
Aeran
Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:41 am
I understand about not liking certain EJ policies, however, if the board were to move to just one, the 10 posts before creating new thread, it would cut down greatly on the amount "bad" threads created.

the people would have to involve themselves in current discussions for a bit. even better would be, 10 posts in the forum they are attempting to post in, but I guess that would be asking alot, hehe.

other than that, I really like your idea of splitting the forums, just the implementation, as pointed out, needs fine tuning (not that I have any ideas, but from the feedback I make the statement)
_________________
brimstoner
Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:46 am
Not to mention Mr. Crackdown-on-all-small-time-posters only has 30 posts himself. I dont think its fair to force me to post on a board if I have nothing to say just so I can ask a question on that same board. Truthfully I think you would find that resulting in many threadjacks happening since they will likely STILL not post in the right area.
_________________
Petrus
Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:55 am
I think the idea of a subforum would work well for what Maintankadin has, though I like the idea of exploring a wiki of some kind.
_________________
Maswin
Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:07 am
a min post count of 10 would just create worthless replies from people trying to get to 10, at least that's what always happens in my experience.
fuzzygeek
Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:14 am
The problem with Wikis and Stickis (intentional) is that a fair number of people still won't go digging for themselves -- it doesn't matter how easily accessible you make information, for some people it's still easier to ask a question than look for an answer.

Having a forum dedicated specifically to asking for gear advice is the simplest solution for everyone except those who don't want to see five "What enchant should I put on Sun Eater..." topics when they hit "View new threads" button."

People are going to post these threads; if you removed the forum they'd probably start popping up in the instance forums ("Hey guyz I just goted KD from Chess is it gud?").

Might as well have a dedicated place for these kinds of questions. Some people will post answers, some people will post links to previous threads or to sickys. Either way, the questioner gets his or her question answered and hopefully some enlightenment happens.

Isn't that the point?
_________________
Kelaan
Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:29 am
I think this is a good idea, Lore.

- How-to guides for getting uncrushable, or lists of gear, etc, are all excellent. I suggest we rename them so that there's an "order" to reading them that newcomers can easily deduce.

- Gear-related (or enchant-related) comparisons belong (IMO) in the forum to discuss merits/tradeoffs of stuff; I don't think that Invis' "what glove enchant?" belong in the "Help me plz with my gear" forum, as it's a very clear explanation of the merits and tradeoffs of the enchants, without being person-specific.

- Many of these threads (like the "gemming for pure stamina" thread) start out as personally-oriented, but become a discussion of the underlying merits/lackings, and thus grow into something excellent. Moving from one forum to the other should be somethign feasible if that happens.

- Since threads grow over time, and some gems of discussion evolve into some great theorycraft discussion, it would be nice if the conclusions or lessons from such things were to be summarized in the first post, or in a different post (linking the original discussion). This would help someone who is NEW glean the important stuff when they find the thread 3 months later. While we don't want to encourage laziness on the reader's part, there's nothing wrong with coming up with something which is well written, concise, and lays things out from the basic levels. (Worldie's Illidan guide is a great example of this, as is Invisusira's glove enchant guide.)

I'm not sure how this would best be done; the original poster in a thread (such as the "gemming for pure stamina" thread) could edit and summarize the Important Stuff (about which there's bound to be agreement lol), but I don't see that as likely to happen in most cases. Rather, an All-new post could be crafted based on the knowledge gleaned from the thread, and re-posted for further discussion or something... the down side is, that person then has to (or ought to?) commit to keeping it updated, or somesuch. Bleh.

I'd like to do this for some of these, I just can't seem to make the time tobe un-lazy. Wink

edit: