Skip to content
Maintankadin

Ratanna's Best-in-Slot WotLK Guide.

Io.Draco
Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:33 pm
Tank Malygos 25 man and you will see my point

And btw tier pieces when all taken togheter make a quite good set to have , its doesn't have a excesive stat its BALANCED

The stamina of the tier pieces from 25 man don't fall behind other pieces of non set gear , hell they got even better stamina if ya gem for it then some other pieces

As for avoidance and mitigation thats VERY debatable , hell we have been going on it for 3 pages already Razz
_________________
My sexy little BE
Ratanna
Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:33 am
lol wow @ this thread. no i never asked this to be stickied nor do i care. TBH this post was mainly for myself to reference to when i was raiding instances to see whether or not I wanted to pass/loot drops. I play on multiple computers so it helps to tab over to my list.

This is MY List. Apparently many of you have forgotten that this thread says "Ratanna's BiS Guide" and not "Prot Pally BiS"

i'm tanking in a top 10 US progression guild and this is my setup. The ONLY bosses that matter to me are 25 man Malycgos, Sapphiron, and Sartharion with 3 drakes. To acknowledge the importance of the other bosses already makes me not care what you have to say. U can tank them in any gear and I assure you I have no problems tanking any encounter in avoidance gear. But when Malycgos and Sartharion BREATH for 26k+ magic damage, the only thing thats going to help you is that 32 stam 2% DMG meta. 21 defense and 5% block value isn't gonna do jack when ur taking UBER insane spell breaths and you lose 35% of your effective health (Debuff you get from sartharion). Don't hate on that meta.

For arguments sake, you guys argue about block and how good it is. I never said it was bad (in fact i chose t7 helm/legs over some Avoidance pieces), i merely express that in this Setup you can tank anything just fine. Why have 2 sets of gear when 1 set can do it all? Many of you all know these fights are a joke except for the 3 I listed (not even sapphiron really). And if your healers can't heal you with EH and Avoidance then you got bigger issues in your raid. The reason why i chose t7 helm was cuz it is the only piece that has expertise and its enough to put me at the soft cap and comes with high stam and a nice blue socket. SoV (10), Talents (6), Human Racial (3), Helm (5). 24 expertise, CLOSE ENOUGH.

I have a big feeling that many of you whining and complaining about the lack of choice in block gear have not seen or tanked 3 drake sartharion or malycgos or will be the tank of choice when your guild gets there cause you simply get owned!

Mitigating is a bonus for me, but I <3 my avoidance. We all know many wow servers and clients are unstable and there are plenty 2:1 1:1 healing assignments. You really count more on healers stability/heal power/mana pool when you rely more on mitigation vs avoidance. You are also relying that they will be there to sit and cast a heal as there are so many mechanics where healers need to move/run or even be silenced or its their death.

With my setup my healer can DC/brain lag/freeze/regen and I'll still be alive to get a diff healer swapped on to me.

It appears that I have offended ppl in this thread and for that I apologize. If you don't like what you see, move on.
_________________

Janduin
Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:56 am
I agree with Ratanna's meta choice. I got the BV one because our Unholy DK tanks Sartharion and Malygos for exactly that reason, the breaths. If I was doing it I would have chosen differently. If you are tanking those bosses, stam, avoidance, and breath mitigation are your priorities. BV and BR won't hurt but they won't do jack against the breath, and that is the spike damage which really hurts as a paladin. Off a 26k breath, that's 500ish reduced damage you can't get anywhere else.
_________________
Ratanna
Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:26 am
but i am a JC and JC is the best for tanking.
_________________

Barathorn
Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:33 am
It is obvious there are different views on this subject. Most people would take the balanced approach to gearing with regard to stamina/avoidance but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

However

keep it constructive and non personal please, back up your opinions with examples and figures. If you cannot, don't post. I appreciate we all have strong views on what we consider to be the best setup for our Tanks, but discuss those views politely please.

I don't want to lock this thread, so play nicely.

Barathorn
_________________
Salgado
Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:49 am
Any chance that you could put together a 10-man version of this for us people who only have 13-15 friends?

I am not as likeable as you all must be. Very Happy

Edit: After reading some more of your posts, I realize that I am just a scrub in this world of yours. I'll quietly slip away unnoticed.
_________________
[10] Naxx - Spider 3/3, Plague 3/3, Abom 1/4, DK 1/3; [10/25] Sarth+0

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what other people say you cannot do...