Skip to content
Maintankadin

New BS shield enchant?

Zibey
Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:00 pm
Defense is not absolutely useless. Its avoidance stat, and sometimes best choice for enchant. What I wondered about is how new shield ench compares to 20 defense enchant.
Many people jumped on me that how can I be so ridiculous to even concider such comparisons, so I got pissed and made some maths myself.
With my current avoidance and defense, 20 def rating (going with harlekin's spreadsheet for calculating DR on miss) grants me 0,31% avoidance. This is not exactly the same as 0,31% mitigation from block would be but effect is pretty much the same - you take 0,31% psychical dmg less (statisticaly).
I use 21 def 5% more block Meta gem, and with that, and redoubt 40 sbv counts for ~54 (54,6 but lest round down) block value.
Now - 54 block is 0,31% mitigation on hits that hit for 17419 unblocked.
I went through parses from our raids, and there is only one situation where you do everything right and you take such hits, and its OTing patchwerk and taking hateful blows.
No other 25man boss I've encountered gets even close to that. Malygos average swing on me is 10k (this is counting block but then I dont block for over 7k...), even with spark buff he barely meets 17k line when defense (in my particular case) meets with 40 sbv.
So - now... I already have idea what I might be doing wrong, and why my calculations might not be correct, but I would like to be corrected by others.
If I am not wrong - please tell me then what is so ridiculous about it then?
_________________
Zibey 80 Fortressadin The Maelstrom EU
Racolus
Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:26 pm
Dude, 540 is the MINIMUM not cap.

Defense after 540 still has much use:

a) buffer for your newly attained toys, which may have lower defense

b) it gives decent buff to ALL FOUR defense stat, miss, dodge, parry & block

I use repelling charge + EoS all the time, it saves me a lot of headache from remaining uncrit while pushing avoidance. If you keep yourself barely 540, any newly attained toys or if you wanna re-gem one item will make you have to re-gem, re-enchant several more.
Rokh
Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:36 pm
If you storm into this thread and proclaim with all your bad quoting, miss understanding, and horrid grammer, that def is sweet past 540... I feel bad for your healers.

Do any of you even know how ilevel points work? Jesus Christ this thread is so full of fail.
Spamdrew
Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:58 pm
You would never guess that on a forum where some of the best Prot pallies congregate this has been explored and the maths have been done.

See this spreadsheet + explanation to explain why you are the noob.

Cant be bothered clicking: Defence is the best stat to stack in your general tanking set until you block cap after which you should keep defence and dodge around equal with 1/5 of that in parry.
_________________
Zibey
Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:34 am
Only problem is that topic doesnt compare avoidance ratings, or at least is not supposed to.
I try to figure out REAL impact each enchant would have on my tanking. I tried to do math about it, and now I'd like you guys to relate to that, instead of going "going over 540 defense means you are retard" and opposite side "you are just retard - go away".
So - any comments to my last post?
_________________
Zibey 80 Fortressadin The Maelstrom EU
Zibey
Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:05 am
Ok, that's what I thought, but I needed to make some maths before I got it.
The more avoidance I have, the more additional avoidance counts for, and the less block value counts for.
0,31% more avoidance means that in 10k hits I take 31 less hits.
With my current raidbuffed avoidance (around 54%) 54 more block will mean that in 10k hits 4,6k of them will be reduced by 54.
Meaning that in my particular case they meet at 8k hits from boss.
(sorry for my idiot-friendly maths, but I need to put it simple not to get lost in it Razz)

So yeach - 20 defense is better for me from dmg reduction standpoint.
There's also factor of extra aggro and dps coming from sbv, but hell...
So far I dont have problems, even on our failed 25man malygos attemts (maybe only because they're failed - its rare for us to have 2 buffs on our dps for longer than half of phase 1).

Shield block rating factor in defense I absolutely dont count in - with Horn of Winter, and after counting miss DR's I am at 103,5 avoidance+block so this has no benefit for me at all.
_________________
Zibey 80 Fortressadin The Maelstrom EU
Spamdrew
Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:23 am
however getting back on topic we are talking about shield enchants which you can't enchant with + dodge so it doesn't really matter.

Your options are + defence which provides a decent amount of avoidance and gives you the possibility of dropping more block rating from the rest of your set or + shield block value which slightly increases your dps and provides a small amount more EH if you are block capped.

Clearly +defence is your boss tanking enchant and + block rating is your trash/weak hitting boss enchant.
_________________