Skip to content
Maintankadin

Defender's Code vs. Furnace Stone

Rasmfrackn
Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:25 pm

Re: Defender's Code vs. Furnace Stone

Nadir wrote:
Salamandra wrote:
Thorim's Unbalancing Strike hits for an average of 13k, melee for around 12k.


THIS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Unbalancing Strike hits for 200% weapon damage.


Unbalancing Strike is rather predictable. If you're using an external or internal cool down prior to each strike, then this figure makes a bit more sense.


I think the non-sense of it is that it's 200% weapon damage but claimed to only hit 8% harder than a normal swing.

All I can think is that their meaning "weapon damage" isn't necessarily the same as the base melee damage. The XT trash techs' kicks are supposed to be 150% weapon damage, but they hit for 25k where their normal melee is only 7k.
Faro
Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Defender's Code vs. Furnace Stone

Rasmfrackn wrote:All I can think is that their meaning "weapon damage" isn't necessarily the same as the base melee damage. The XT trash techs' kicks are supposed to be 150% weapon damage, but they hit for 25k where their normal melee is only 7k.


Low weapon skill yo!
Corman
Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Defender's Code vs. Furnace Stone

FYI - I'm sure he can get above the armor cap because with Indestructible + Trinket and whatnot, I've seen my armor go above 44,000. That's almost as much as over 9k!
Rasmfrackn
Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:16 pm

Re: Defender's Code vs. Furnace Stone

Corman wrote:FYI - I'm sure he can get above the armor cap because with Indestructible + Trinket and whatnot, I've seen my armor go above 44,000. That's almost as much as over 9k!

Just remember the armor cap vs. bosses is 49,905. :)

I tried finding max armor, but chardev doesn't handle inspiration procs. With an indestructible pot and Mark/Devo it looks like around 35k without inspiration or trinkets. The last 1-2k there costs a whole lot of other stats though. It looks like you'd end up around 46k with inspiration and furnace stone procced... that's 73.44% reduction, which isn't too shabby. The last 5k there (from the trinket) is an 8% improvement over not having the trinket. (With 46k armor you take 92% of the damage you'd take with 41k armor)
Amaranthea
Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:20 am

Re: Defender's Code vs. Furnace Stone

Chardev doesn't calculate armor correctly, just a fyi.
Squishums
Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Defender's Code vs. Furnace Stone

Defender's code was (and still is to those of us who are unlucky) an awesome trinket for non-JCers who want to stack EH.

Armor does still get worse as it gets higher, but not as badly as you may think. With 0 armor, 800 armor will give you alot of mitigation (5%ish), with 30k armor, 800 armor will give less (1%.......Im inventing the numbers but its just to give an idea). BUT, at higher armor 1% is the difference between taking 33% dmg or 32%....which is a change of 3%. As a general rule, for every 1% mitigation you get on your char screen you get 3% actual mitigation (because we hover around 66% mitigation from armor).

I think defender's code is better than furnace stone because armor is better passive and dodge is better on-use. If you get hit hard and have very low hp you pop the dodge trinket and you get a very high chance to avoid the attack that would kill you. If you pop the armor in the same situation youre going to die if you get hit regardless of how much armor you have.

Unless you NEVER use your trinkets reactively, defenders code is better. If you only use your trinkets at max hp to just smooth out dmg you assume is coming soon, then maybe furnace stone is better.
smeej
Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:56 am

Re: Defender's Code vs. Furnace Stone

All I know is Defender's Code is awesome against the General. I use both DC and Furnace Stone against him, using the cooldowns whenever possible, and I take very little damage. The loss of stamina isn't even an issue.

I honestly haven't made up my mind about which I prefer. I almost always have Heart of Iron equipped, but my second slot is a constantly switching between DC, FS, and Monarch Crab. It really just depends on the boss.

I do agree that armor is generally undervalued. Plated Saronite Legguards are pretty hot.