Skip to content
Maintankadin

A Tankadin's Guide to Healing Gear

Dendrah
Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:56 am
mana efficiency...

FoL costs like a zillion times less mana then HL.

Prot paladins don't have the talent to regain mana and won't really have the mana regen/manapool a holy pala has.

Also don't heal yourself. Get others to do that. SA still helps.

And how about Blessing of sacrifice? It is not much but still you increase the effective HP of your tank and you help yourself regain mana from heals from others.
dav_sfc
Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:18 am

great guide, 63 FoL before oom

This is exactly what i was looking for!

I have an OK (although, un-gemmed and un-enchanted) healing set.
Head and shoulders from ZA and shoulder enchant.
The boots from H-Mgt too but I never used them as i didn't know that MP5>crit!
The rest is all kara gear mostly.

I have 1240 +healing and 83/MP5 without BoW (edited!)
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Azgalor&n=Daithai

I have 10k mana with kings too.

For the fun, I spammed FoL on myself till i was out of mana, I got 63 casts before i was oom and healed an average of about 1k a cast.
I had BoW at the time and popped my trinkets, (the Ribbon thing and the Oshu'gun Relic)

I did mean to do it again with kings instead of wisdom to see if 10%-Int> BoW's-MP5 but after 63 FoL I got bored... sry....
I then spammed full rank HL, I cast about 13, at about 3.3k hp a heal (edited!)

At least it was some kind of test!
So, I would have FoL healed someone for about 63,000 over 94.5 seconds (63x1.5secs?). (I see a dead tank and me on about 75% mana! Smile

I would have HL healed someone for 42,900 hp over 32.5 seconds. (edited
(at least the tank would have survived till i was oom!)
(It's not likely I'd have too much over healing either!)
Dead tanks after 30 seconds are not much good though!

I'm guessing there is an optimum way to use a bit of both!

Although I was intending to test Kings against Wisdom, I'm sure Wisdom is miles better in any fight long enough to be a fight!

Pally tanks should always carry a full healing set and this is a great guide!
I do think buying healing badge gear is crazy unless you are fully gemmed with epic gems and can really waste the badges on it.

Have people more stats on how much healing we can put out and can we really heal any heroics fully prot speced?

I off-heal Maiden (but our other healers leave me over healing everyone usually!)
I heal through repentance using BoS on the tank and this is about all the only time I'm actually useful. (and I cleanse of course!)
(I have tanked her once and downed her, timing spells was a pain but can be done, i rarely have to though)

I heal the PVP fight in H Mgt (still no trinket for my btw :ANGRY)
I healed the 85% of it before when the healer went down early for some reason! (I was surprised I managed this!) (did use a mana pot and LoH too i bet.)
Usually i just spam heal one person, and BoP as needed and stun as needed. (otherwise I'm left wasting time and heals on targets the main healer beats me to!) The main healer benefits from not having to worry about one person though!
(maybe the trinket only drops if I wear my tank gear for the flight like a really prot pally would!)

I also healed after tanking the an add or 2 against Hex lord.
(we didn't down him though, my bet is that i should tank that and let the druid tank DPS, his DPS>my Heals in that fight anyway!)

When we get there, I guess I'll be healing against Zul'Jin, I think in this one my healing will be greater benefit to the group than the druid tanks DPS. (thougths?)

In other news, when we half Pugged kara and lost the OT at 10% against Maiden. I managed to finish her off after she killed the rest of the DPS before eventually making her way to me last. She didn't know i was a tank in disguise though! DPS got her to 3 or maybe 2% before they were all dead.
I bubbled and spammed my hammer at her and got her down, (combat log shows me i hit her twice with my giant healing mace too!
I finished on nearly no hits or mana! (I have a screenshot too if you want it!)
dav_sfc
Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:19 pm
That does look like an excellent libram! (I might make an exception too, i have near 200 badges and no badge gear to get though!)

If it's MP5 for the win, then this libram is probably the best a prot speced healer can get?
celarena
Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:50 am
Another good piece to get to help give you faster and bigger heals:

Scarab of the Infinite Cycle
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28190

This excellent trinket drops in both normal and heroic mode of BM. It has a low drop rate and your healer might be very pissed if you roll need on this.
BluTrigger
Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:02 pm

decisions decisions...

ok so ive done my fair share of ZA and have picked up the resto sham helm from the Eagle and the pally helm from the Bear:
http://thottbot.com/i33286 vs http://thottbot.com/i33327


so realistically I only wear my healing gear whilst prot spec (when OTing a particular boss fight etc) so I went for more mp5 oriented gear and gems (followed the threads advice). Ive had the mojo mender for a while, but now that I got the pally one im considering whether its really worth sacing the extra plus heals & the mp5 on the sham one to pick up the crit and the extra armor that the paladin one has. I really wouldnt mind keeping both for when I (if ever... never actually specced holy lol) am Holy, but I dont want to spend 80g enchanting BOTH helms.. and if I enchant 1 of them ill realistically always use that one...

So my questions open up to you, my fellow tankadins/off-healadins, should I just throw more mp5 in the pally helm or just stick with the sham one and put crit gems in it for when/if i go holy???
_________________
FearsWarden of <One Shot> Draenor -- 70 HU Tankadin

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Draenor&n=Fearswarden
celarena
Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:31 pm
I think the armor is pretty pointless when you're offhealing. How often do you really need the armor for stray mobs when you're spamming heals?

So the comparison is

Shammy helm
99 heals / 9 mp5 / 2 mp5 socket bonus -> 99 heals / 11 mp5

versus

Pally helm
86 heals / 31 spell crit / 9 heal socket bonus -> 95 heals / 31 spell crit

Personally, I would stick with the shammy helm and add mp5 gems to it. You don't get free mana from spell crits and you lose 11% crit chance from not speccing into holy. Save the pally helm for the day you spec to holy.
Trammel
Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:02 am
Excellent post

I have picked up healing gear to keep it from being sharded. Kara~ZA. I have been sticking with socket bonuses using Yellow (healing\int), Red (healing\mp5) & Blue (mp5 gems). Enchanting mp5 on chest, bracers & boots.

If I am not tanking the boss (take ZA for instance), I throw my healing gear on. Blessing of Light the tank, Blessing of Wisdom on myself and spam Flash of Light. Sprinkle it around a bit and walla. If you have a spreist in your group, there is no stopping.

Currently @ +1515 Healing and 240/131 mp5

Thanks again for this post. Wink
_________________
Dorvan
Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:49 am
By the way, I'm no longer maintaining this guide, so if anyone is interested in updating it for WotLK, please send me a PM Smile
_________________


WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Petrus
Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:54 pm
Eh, it's still largely true. Stack spellpower, int, and mp5 and you can offheal just fine.
_________________
Marilee
Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:30 am
Stamina, too! We actually get some pretty decent spellpower numbers in blue quest rewards due to Touched by the Light.

For instance, this quest reward helm from Utgarde Pinnacle: Platehelm of Irate Revenge has 81 spellpower. BUT count in the bonus from Touched by the Light, and it actually has 96.