Skip to content
Maintankadin

Will the future bring new badge gear?

Discus
Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:02 am
I am all for everyone having access to gear, but better gear should come from progression, not from farming 5 man instances.

But that relies on random drops. Our small guild farmed kara on a weekly basis for several months at the end of TBC and I didn't get one useful drop. Without badge gear we'd never have seen Zul A.

Similarly relying on drops in heroics is very random - more so for smaller more casual guilds. Which means (as is happening in my guild) you end up with some guildies with everything they need quickly and others with nothing - despite all doing the same amount of work. I've pretty much been superseded as guild main tank because of this.

One of the things I love about WoW, and what makes it a refreshing break from RL, is hard work is directly rewarded. Relying on random luck for success makes it far too like reality.
Majiben
Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:05 am
Loot tables are much smaller in Wotlk than in TBC. Yes it's technically possible not to get any upgrades but most would argue that a small gambling aspect is needed in games.
_________________
Discus
Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:30 am
I guess it boils down from what you want from WoW. Do you want it to be fair and reward hard work and ability or do you want it to be like Real Life?

I play to escape RL Laughing

Anyway, I'm sure you're right and future patches will bring new badge gear. Otherwise Blizzard are going to lose a huge percentage of their casual players once we get all we can. Not a good move in a recession.
Zibey
Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:35 am
Discus you might be wrong tho. With every instance having 10man version some lpayers who didnt have opportunity to go above karazhan in TBC now have this opportunity.
Heroics are meant to be outgrown.
_________________
Zibey 80 Fortressadin The Maelstrom EU
Senador
Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:35 am
Well, it seems like they are encouraging players to experience multiple facets of the game. Look at how they now require both honor/marks and arena ratings for many PVP items in order to encourage PVPers to play more of the game, as opposed to only sitting in an arena or only sitting in a particular battleground. Similarly the addition of PVP gear for badges, and PVE gear from Archaveon also helps to encourage people to branch out and diversify what they are doing.

It would seem odd that they encouraged people to diversify how they play in PVP, but then encouraged players to farm the same zone instead of trying to promote diversity on the PVE aspects.
Holyhomer
Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:33 am
I am all for badge gear improving over time and allowing face-rolling mouthbreathers to run heroic nexus every day for a month to buy a piece of gear.

Better badge loot over time allows new players to enter the raiding game without having to go through 2 or three obsolete raids to get up to par with the current bleeding edge content. This is good for high end guilds because it provides more potential recruits without requiring a hundred "starter guilds" that get used and abused by people looking to progress.

I feel like the only people that oppose this are equivalent to "old-money" snobs that don't understand the concept of mudflation.


But then again, we can't have "scrubs gettin' my gear that I WORKED for!!!!!!! ARGH"
Discus
Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:12 am
[I appreciate the sentiment, but comments like this only make it worse. -Lore]
halabar
Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:18 pm
It's a matter of balance.

In BC, you could farm badges, and the badge gear was OP compared to where you could farm those badges.

In Wrath, the badge gear items are generally marginal upgrades at the level you farm the badges at (and for some classes they downright suck) and you quickly will run out of things to buy with badges.

I'd propose meeting someplace in the middle.

I've got 55 or so badges of heroism on my hunter, and after getting 2 badge items, there's nothing I'd want from badges anymore (T7.10 chest sucks for hunters, as do the gloves). It would be nice to have one or two more upgrades available, or a 5-1 conversion of heroism to valor, even 10-1.
_________________

crabcrouton
Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:59 pm
To be fair, the badge gear that was initially available in BC was not much better than heroic/kara drops either. Remember the epic helm, the autoblocker, the cape and the shield from badges?

The variety of badge gear to choose from in the early days was only 3-4 items per spec, which isn't all that different than what it is now. It wasn't until patches later that we started seeing really awesome BC badge gear.

I think a conversion of X# Heroism => 1 Valor would not be a bad idea, though I'm sure there are impassioned opinions on either side. Typically, this goes against Blizzard's mantra of using loot as the carrot to lure people into associating themselves with ever larger numbers of people. I personally don't agree with that model but I'm not going to disregard it iether.
Barathorn
Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:13 am
Can we discuss this matter which is obviously a fairly volatile issue calmly and without name calling please. Otherwise your post will be modified or deleted and the topic will be locked.

Please continue if you have anything to add to the discussion, or if you cannot post without breaking the forum rules then please do not post.

Barathorn
_________________
Widdox
Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:43 am
PTR: Source http://www.worldofraids.com

[Emblem of Heroism] added to the Emblem of Valor Quartermasters. Currently no cost; assumed to be 1x[Emblem of Valor]

This makes me think that they might do a conversion sooner or later between heroism and valor. Which I think would be a good solution.
_________________