Skip to content
Maintankadin

Jayson's BiS Guide Discussion Thread

Kelaan
Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Best in slot! Paladin tanking gear at a glance.

Ironically, having gotten the Dragonstorm chest and T7.5 legs this week, I'm now struggling with this exact problem: If I gem them for EH, I don't have enough defense ... and if I gem them for defense, they're lower EH than the pieces I'm currently wearing. (T7.5 chest and Sarth legs.) I appreciate the list, though -- I would have passed on the DB chest had I not known it was a big avoidance increase.
Morrioghan
Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:10 pm

Re: Best in slot! Paladin tanking gear at a glance.

Thanks for the great guide, its nice to see what my options are.

And for all of those QQ'ing about a missed piece, or a statement that you disagree with, rather than bitch and moan about it, write your own damned guide, and leave the people who have spent the time and effort putting theirs together alone.

Again, thanks for the great guide, its nice to see someone who is willing to do all that work for us.
Majiben
Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Re: Best in slot! Paladin tanking gear at a glance.

There's nothing wrong with people attempting to strengthen an existing guide with constructive criticism.
theothersteve7
Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:18 pm

Re: Best in slot! Paladin tanking gear at a glance.

Hey, I don't know if this appropriate for here, but I did some poking around on Wowhead's PTR site. These look like our gear options, roughly:

Plate set
Chest - Tier
Feet - Crafted
Hands - Handguards of Revitalization*
Head - Tier
Legs - Legplates of the Endless Void*
Shoulders - Tier
Belt - Crafted
Wrist - Mimiron's Inferno Couplings
*Swap one of these for tier for the set bonus; tier is only marginally behind in either case

Weapon and Shield
Sorthalis, Hammer of the Watchers
The Boreal Guard

Accessories
Titanskin Cloak
Bronze Pendant of the Vanir
The Leviathan's Coil
Platinum Band of the Aesir / Signet of Winter
Heart of Iron
The General's Heart

3.1 seems to have better itemization across the board, with the exception of wrists. Incidentally, this set has 16 gem sockets and a meta. Naturally this is all speculation and still subject to change.
Petrus
Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:32 am

Re: Best in slot! Paladin tanking gear at a glance.

Keep in mind that we don't know all the loot. I'll be updating my gear list thread soon with what gear we KNOW is in the game in 3.1.
theothersteve7
Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:39 pm

Re: Best in slot! Paladin tanking gear at a glance.

Quite true; from what I've heard we know a little over half of all the implemented items. Interesting that we already have pretty solid sets though. I'll bet there's another tank wrist we haven't seen.
Petrus
Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Best in slot! Paladin tanking gear at a glance.

There will undoubtedly be another wrist, more shields, and probably more chests, too.
kurros
Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:42 am

Re: Best in slot! Paladin tanking gear at a glance.

Morrioghan wrote:And for all of those QQ'ing about a missed piece, or a statement that you disagree with, rather than bitch and moan about it, write your own damned guide, and leave the people who have spent the time and effort putting theirs together alone.


So we have 20 different guides, each of them wrong in different ways? How would that be better than having one correct guide?
Jayson
Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:08 pm

Re: Best in slot! Paladin tanking gear at a glance.

Quickly addressing some of the recent posts.

Kelaan wrote:Ironically, having gotten the Dragonstorm chest and T7.5 legs this week, I'm now struggling with this exact problem: If I gem them for EH, I don't have enough defense ... and if I gem them for defense, they're lower EH than the pieces I'm currently wearing. (T7.5 chest and Sarth legs.) I appreciate the list, though -- I would have passed on the DB chest had I not known it was a big avoidance increase.


I currently use Repelling Charge in all gearsets but threat tbh. I have several trinket drops I am still looking for that might bump it, but it is an amazing piece. Tons of AV/Un-Hittability, gobs of Defense allowing you to put "better" pieces on that might be short Defense, and a phenominal EH "Use" ability. Wearing this lets me put whatever pieces I want on in any set save my Frost Gear set. Consider that as an option.

Morrioghan wrote:Again, thanks for the great guide, its nice to see someone who is willing to do all that work for us.


Thanks for the support! Compliments are always appreciated : ]

Petrus wrote:Keep in mind that we don't know all the loot. I'll be updating my gear list thread soon with what gear we KNOW is in the game in 3.1.


Agreed. I have started workin on my 3.1 25man listing, but I have no intention of posting it until probably a week after the patch is out. I am enjoying reviewing some of the available gear though.

2 Things

1. Ulduar 15man list has been started, expect to see it perhaps next week sometime.

2. The 3.1 gear is looking extremely fun. Alot of very nice pieces/itemization.

Stay Tuned!!!
Bozie
Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: Best in slot! Paladin tanking gear at a glance.

Are the crafted tanking belt and boots learned from venders? or are they drops in Uldar?
mconeone
Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:38 pm

Re: Best in slot! Paladin tanking gear at a glance.

The patterns drop in ulduar.
theckhd
Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: Best in slot! Paladin tanking gear at a glance.

If it's of any use to you, I've posted my own "Shopping List" on my guild forums, though it's just a re-hash of Petrus' list with some brief comments on which items I consider best based on a brief wowhead item comparison of each slot's offerings. I can either PM it to you or post it here if you want it. Most of the upgrades this time around are fairly straightforward as far as Avoidance vs. EH vs. Threat vs. BV though.
Jayson
Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:45 pm

Re: Best in slot! Paladin tanking gear at a glance.

theckhd wrote:If it's of any use to you, I've posted my own "Shopping List" on my guild forums, though it's just a re-hash of Petrus' list with some brief comments on which items I consider best based on a brief wowhead item comparison of each slot's offerings. I can either PM it to you or post it here if you want it. Most of the upgrades this time around are fairly straightforward as far as Avoidance vs. EH vs. Threat vs. BV though.


That'd be great Theck. Send me a message with it in there, that'll help my lazy self out ; ]

BTW, thanks for all the great work you do here man. I was just reviewing your Rotation/Spec post and it's really amazing the amount of effort you put in (at least in my judgement).
theckhd
Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:49 pm

Re: Jayson's BiS Guide Discussion Thread

Sent, and thanks for the kind words. :)
Kaeos
Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:20 pm

Re: Best in slot! Paladin tanking gear at a glance.

theckhd wrote:If it's of any use to you, I've posted my own "Shopping List" on my guild forums, though it's just a re-hash of Petrus' list with some brief comments on which items I consider best based on a brief wowhead item comparison of each slot's offerings. I can either PM it to you or post it here if you want it. Most of the upgrades this time around are fairly straightforward as far as Avoidance vs. EH vs. Threat vs. BV though.


I think that would be great if you could, especially if you're explaining why items are best served where. I realize that having multiple items with the same number means that I should be able to feely choose and be ok, but sometimes I miss less obvious combinations of gear that create a better flowing set.