Skip to content
Maintankadin

Gemming for pure stamina

Worldie
Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:51 pm
T6 chest is a EH piece and said should be Razz

The tradeoff in avoidance vs stamina isnt worth the regemming... not until i get a new shield and gloves, then i'm likely regemming chest and shoulders.
_________________


Proud founder of the 40/21 club
Lieris
Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:10 pm
IMO:

If the socket bonus is +4/+6 stamina and you're only sacrificing one SSOE/SES to reach it then it's worth going for. Otherwise SSOE/SES all the way. I am generalising a lot here but this philosophy works for me, the socket bonuses I am missing out on just aren't worth the stamina sacrifice to me.

e.g. Tankatronic Goggles, Justicar Shoulderguards, Judicator's Legguards.

Your mileage may vary.
_________________

Mavrix
Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:46 am

well

The main thing is, like I posted pages back, to have that balance in your gear for what you're doing. There are other and probably better places to stack avoidance. Targeting gemming as a place to get avoidance easily overlooks some other key places (mentioned in this thread already by others, but I'll repeat - enchants, trinket slots, gear choices).

again:
If you are dying to burst damage before healers can get heals off (e.g. one /two shotted), add more stam. If your healers are running out of mana, add more avoidance+mitigation. If you are running out of mana yourself, you probably have too much avoidance+mitigation.

example:
When what you need to do is survive tanking Brutallus before you have any of the loot from Kalecgos, there isn't much room for regemming for avoidance if you want to survive Brutallus' burst nightmare scenarios.

Ultimately you have to be able to survive unavoided hits particularly when they happen in combination or strings.
_________________
Mavrix
BE Tankadin
Dalaran

vicis pro factum

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dalaran&n=Mavrix
Jerey-Darkspear
Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:13 am

Re: Epic Gems

I know myself and a few other tanks went for a more hybrid approach when it came to gemming. We'd match the socket colors with avoidance/stam hybrid gems or pure stam gems if blue. We were taking advantage of the fact that the socket bonuses compensated for the small loss of stamina.

Unfortunately, if we use the measure that 12 defense rating = 12 stamina (based on the bracer enchant and chest enchant), then when we start getting to epic quality gems, the pure stam gems tend to outperform the socket bonuses. As it stands now, I've come to the following conclusions based on my gear pieces, socketing with epic gems, and assuming the avoidance provided by 12 def = 12 stam.

Further assumptions, the best hybrid gem for yellow sockets is Enduring Seaspray Emerald and the best hybrid gem for red sockets is the Shifting Shadowsong Amethyst. Note, had Blizzard the wisdom to put in a Regal Shadowsong Amethyst, this would change a few things as some of these are pretty darn close when it involves a red socket.

Single Socket
moduspwnens
Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:51 am
Of course, that's assuming that our stamina doesn't scale (it does), and it only discusses itemlevel, not actual worth.
_________________
Stormreaver US

Modus | Governor
Sarkan-ZdC
Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:03 am
Yes of course.

But you can not say, I'm now comparing the different Gems with each other and as a comparison scale I get the enchantments on our wrists (where 12 Sta is 12 Def) . That is not the way it works.

If then: +15 Stamina == 10 Def == 5 Def / 7 Stamina

Because that is what the (epic) gems will give you.

In that case, if you take something easy like Kazrogal Shield (easy, 1 socket example ftw) you could say:

+5 Def / + 7 Sta + 3 Sta socket bonus gives: 5 Def / 10 Sta vs. 15 Sta if you socket it wrong (from color perspective).

So is 5 Def vs. 5 Sta ok? That depends on your're other shields are and what exactly your're doing with the shield. How much EH you have and so on.
Jerey-Darkspear
Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:32 pm
I went through wowhead and found all possible gem combinations that a tank would use and updated the comparisons. If it had only blue sockets, strength as a bonus, block rating as a socket bonus, etc, I omitted it. Those socket bonuses don't contribute towards survivability. I did include the block value socket bonuses and marked stam as greater, but this is situational.
_________________
Am I Prot?

Or am I Ret?

6/6 SSC; 4/4 TK; 5/5 MH; 5/9 BT
Sarkan-ZdC
Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:49 am
I did put a request for a Regal Shadowsong Amethyst in the PTR Forum for 2.4.3, but I suppose nobody with Blizzard read it Sad
jere
Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:05 am
Or they might have just decided not to for whatever reason. They made the concious decision to not have a paladin tanking weapon added in 2.4, so my guess is that they just decided that they either didn't have the time, or they didn't need to for whatever reason.

sucks though.
_________________