Skip to content
Maintankadin

Dual-stam Trinkets

Candiru
Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:03 am
Once you have met the EH requirements, you can stack stam again until your AD range is increased to the point where you are virtually indestructible!!

On Loatheb, he cannot actually hurt me with melee when I drop to 35% and AD kicks in. The curses will still hurt, but that's it!
Discus
Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:10 am
Unfortunately the preception of your peers is often more important than the truth. My healer shouted at me recently, because as I've been getting gear drops/badges I've been replacing cheap stamina gear (icebane set) with avoidance specced tanking gear, edging closer to block cap. According to my healer I was much easier to keep alive with 27K unbuffed stamina set and low avoidance than 23K and far more dodge/defense, attempting to explain avoidance, less unblocked individual hits and EH falls on deaf ears. She sees higher health and that changes her perception of how easy it is to heal me.
Discus
Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:22 am

That said... Some healers prefer to AFK-Bomb than learn their class. It's true if you spam Greater Heal and nothing else that the HP tank is fine. Several harder fights require resource management for healers, though, and such tactics do not work (or they require both)


That's very interesting, thanks. Having never played a healer I didn't realise this.
Kellel
Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:12 am
heh i have had this discussion many times with guild mates and fellow tanks and they are all still stuck in the stam stacking mindset.

The way I try to explain it is ... the less dmg a tank takes, the less heals he needs, it's that simple. If you have 27k unbuffed stam ... but take more dmg ... all of a sudden your healers gear becomes significant as they have to keep up with replenishing all the dmg you take. If you mitigate more of it, then your healers timing is more significant than his/her gear. Healers also have no idea how AD works for pally's ... to them if you are below 35% health you are practically dead ... they forget that most of us won't take a crit and they don't realize that for us.. that's just where the fun starts Wink

This also helped explain to them why we had some very under geared yet extremely skillful healers keeping our first couple naxx raids alive Wink

And yes, in WotLK there are some mechanics that completely negate your gear altogether, and put the focus on your skill. Occulus to start ... instructor razuvious anyone? widow faerlina? Heigan? Loetheb? there are many.

but even the stam stacking mentality when put to the test against one of the biggest melee dps'ing bosses in naxx, patchwerk ... the stam issue is moot for the hateful strike tank. Granted there is a minimal requirement to survive a hateful strike ... weather you have 22k hp (roughly 27k raid buffed) or 27k hp (roughly 32k raid buffed) you still aren't going to be able to survive more than one consecutive strike. But if you look at the main tank's role ..... patchwerk swings mildly hard and FAST. the more you mitigate ... the more heals that can hit the strike tank to get him back up fast before patchwerk takes our your rogue or enh shammy hehe Very Happy.


It's also frustrating when in a 25 man raid ... they look at the tanks HP .. "okay ... X you have the most HP .. you're main tank."

uhhh.... okay. I've found when it comes to the MT role, it's usually done by the tank that is the GL or RL .... or they give it to whom ever has the most hp lol. Show up in your stam gear until you get the job then change lol. Orrrr you can do what I do .. and be the 3rd or 4th tank .. hanging out by the healers .. cleaning up the trash that inevitably ALWAYS get's through ..... especially when the MT thinks he can taunt the entire pull on him .... and dies. My list of healing friends has grown after bailing out raids from numerous potential wipe situations. Some times the healers appreciate a tank that can check his ego at the door, and is perfectly fine sitting and waiting to be needed Very Happy.

And further more (one last vent) ... I've run VH so many times i have VH callouses on my mouse hand ... and I still have yet to even see the doggie. *sigh*
_________________
Frickit
Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:53 am
*whistling* dodge, dodge, parry, block, healed, miss, miss, miss AMG HIT HIT HIT dead.

or block, block block hit still have tons of hp oh a G heal landed for 20k nice...repeat. the healers like consistancy not overheals and an overall reduced damage due to massive amounts of avoiding.

what happens when theres unexpected non melee damage...again higher hp wins. Ardent Defender! again Ill mention Ardent Defender.
30k beats 27k as long as your at 540def and have more than 50% avoidance....actually I can hit 30k with about 53% avoidance which is more than enough.

but still im making my tank leader happy by not having waaay more hp than he does and adding a little more avoidance to my set. I disagree with the reasoning though. I will use an avoid trink but I will also make sure I have 540 def with two stamina trinkets. So I wont reach 30.8k yet but 30k will do. And sure 55+% avoidance at 28k is nice for certain things.

also I stacked as much stam as possible in TBC and I was always the preferred tank by our healers.
_________________
Frickit
Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:11 am
i thought i was pointing out why having lots of avoidance, while reducing lots of damage can actually give your healers a heartattack...my healers are women who like things to be easy so they can relax not so much people who are constantly cancelling heals and knocking over cups of coffee or redbull.

i thought 30k was better than 27k cuz when im at raidbuffed hp and I take 3 huge hits in a row I can still be alive with more than 00001 hp left.
_________________
Frickit
Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:27 am
never paid very close attention to precise numbers or specific encounters but shouldnt Ardent Defender allow for the fourth hit which however less likely can still pwn an avoidance tank?
Im still convinced that letting more hits (weaker hits) through is easier to heal than sporatic hits that take more% off my max hp just in general...
_________________
Salamandra
Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:26 pm
I do find this idea that "stamina anywhere between surviving n hits and n+1 hits is useless" is sort of stupid. It seems to be rooted in some kind of fictional game, where you get healed very infrequently but always for your entire health.
_________________