Skip to content
Maintankadin

WOTLK Boss Tanking Gear Progression List

Majiben
Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:18 pm
One more things about your ring choice:
The valor ring should be ranked below the BoE JC ring. Assuming a +24 stamina gem, the JC ring has +12 str, +3 stamina, +34 dodge and -27 defense when looking at purely defensive stats. It's the clear winner unless you're looking at offensive stats and even then it's close due to the high threat nature of Str.

You are all aware of my feelings regarding using threat stats to rank tanking items in this day and age.
_________________
Majiben
Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:23 am
Theck, If I could I would trade in all the hit and expertise on my gear for equal parts stamina, dodge and defense. Do you know what I would do If I needed threat? Replace one of my trinkets with DMC:G. I would then come ahead in both threat and survival. Hit and expertise a poor threAt stats for us.

Your magylos example is a poor one because you're not talking about progression tanking. Biassing a guide off of one subset (5 minute kill) of one fight in the entire expansion is a poor choice. You're also make no mention of wind shock for shamans or HoS from yourself and others to to keep your dps in check.

I do agree that their methods for evaluating BR and BV are off.
_________________
Majiben
Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:49 am
When I said off I meant some times they appear to very useful in his list and others times are considered to be a fraction of the value of stamina.

I disagree with using one fight as the biases for a progression list still. You wouldn't be happy if a 2.3 TBC progression list put extra value on block rating because you would need it to block shears? Why? Because on every situation outside of it it would be a waste and detrimental because of the sacrificed stats. That's not to mention that a 5 minute Magylos fight can not necessarily be called progression (optional when it comes to progressing to the next tier) and has not been shown to need hit and expertise stacking.
_________________
Kelaan
Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:01 pm
Incidentally, as an aside, I'd like to note that rankings aside, I appreciate the linkage to things, and the general ordering of things. It makes it nice to mouseover and look at things. Would you consider, for each section, adding a wowhead saved item comparison link for each section? (e.g., all the rings, all the helms, etc) That would make it easier for people with specific needs (hit capped, don't need block rating, need gem slots) to compare things.

I only say that because I am constantly looking at wowhead item comparisons, and it's annoying to duplicate so much effort. Smile
aleyona
Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:07 am
I've made quite a few changes to the list if everyone wants to take a look at it and see where things stand.
_________________
Ponthas(formerly Aleyona) of Srs Bsns
gmf1
Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:15 am
Smile you fixed the cloaks, platinum mesh was not the best imo, good idea to swap them round.
_________________
Majiben
Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:59 am
There is tons of info on DR on miss all over the advanced training section.
_________________
Trueth
Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:23 am
Thanks for updating the list.

I would still like to see your number values whether you share your formula or not. Being a player with limited time, going for sidegrades is the best I will be able to do in some categories, but there is currently no way to tell what is a side-grade and what is a true upgrade using your posts. Obviously, no tank list is dummy-proof since we need to stay at caps, but it would be helpful to know that Item 1 and Item 2 on a list are actually incredibly close in value.

Please consider adding your numbers to the list so we can see what is a 3-point upgrade versus a 50 point upgrade...at least as far as your formula would indicate.
Majiben
Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:27 am
I am pleased that you added tying to the ranking system as that cuts down on the arguments a lot.
_________________