Skip to content
Maintankadin

Best Tanking Weapon Enchant (WOTLK).. Agility?

Stinkpalm
Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:26 am

Best Tanking Weapon Enchant (WOTLK).. Agility?

Hello,
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I got my Red Sword of Courage yesterday and was trying to decide what enchant to put on it. I am a 440 enchanter so pretty much had my pick of any enchants.

My first thought was strength so I could double dip on threat and block value. But the best strength enchant is still the BC +20 strength and with having 0 threat issues and with a block value over 900 the minimal gains didn't make this that attractive.

My second thought was just going straight attack power or spell power for threat, but my threat is so high at the moment (usually at least 3X the dps) that it seemed a waste.

So, i took another once over at my stats and decided the place I need the most work on right now is my avoidance. Pre BC I was at 55% but im around 47% at the moment. So I decided the best available enchants was +25 agility for the .50 dodge.

I was wondering what other tanks thought and what others were enchanting their weapons with.
_________________
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Cho%27gall&n=Stinkpalm
Petrus
Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:07 am
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41976 is what I'm going to get if I can't find anyone to do potency (and maybe even if I can because I need some hit right now).
_________________
Majiben
Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:24 am
You'll get significantly less than .5% dodge when you remember diminishing returns. There is also talk from blizzard that they will make threat more of an issue in the future.

Fully buffed you will gain 16.25 BV from the +20 str enchant.
_________________
Majiben
If we wanted Ret to be a joke, we would have just left the tree as it was, and maybe kicked it a little for good measure. -GC
Ursula
Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:44 am
Stinkpalm, I have the exact same issue as you! I got that sword today and I haven't been able to decide what to enchant. I'm thinking Potency is still the way to go. Just because it's not new doesn't mean it's not the best!
_________________
Markoh
Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:26 am
I just slapped 50 spell power b/c it was the only enchant I had the mats for on hand.

I'm really kind of disappointed with the current state of weapon enchants. Once I get a 25 naxx tanking weapon I'm thinking about doing accuracy.
_________________
"Salv doesn't fix stupid"
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mal%27Ganis&n=Duces
Krazy
Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:41 pm
I've been kinda torn between 26 agility and mongoose. I put 26 agi on a couple of tanking weapons I had but ended up putting mongoose on my Red Sword just kind of as a test.

Keep in mind that mongoose did not scale down from 70-80 the same way that crusader did from 60-70.

It still gives you exactly 120 agility...not sure if the proc rate was changed though. It still seems to proc quite a bit for me.
_________________
verthis
Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:35 am
Put Potency on mine, personally I think it gives the best return and the lack of anything else to put on a weapon. Hate relying on " Chance on hit to....... " type enchants, prefer something static that I can always count on. And nothing wrong with an extra 16 buffed BV as threat and mitigation for nothing Very Happy .
_________________
Andryana
Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:48 am
I'm using the weapon chain because i had some from leveling BS and couldn't find anyone atm to do potency.

As an enchanter i'm somewhat dissapointed with the state of the enchants in WoTLK, hopefully some more enchants will be added up.
_________________
Morganim
Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:05 am
50 attack power.

Cant hurt to do more dps these days, and im to lazy to go farm mats for potency when every enchanter is throwing out free 50aps to skill up Razz.

When i get KT's axe ill prob get off my arse and get potency but im not fussed atm, no ones dying, no ones having threat issues so good time to save some cash as repair bills arent fun in wotlk
Stinkpalm
Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:07 pm
Hmm,
Maybe im missing something here, but as a main tank people are really taking attack power or 13 block value over .5% avoidance?

Would you gem attack power over avoidance?

Im aware of the diminishing return argument, but from the little theory crafting ive done im not seeing much diminishing returns at this point (obviously this may change as t8+ gear comes out and we start seeing dodge values in the high 20's).

And im at 1k block value unbuffed, i mean 13 block value is nothing. And thats not to mention if im using the new libram at that moment or trinket.

I can see the hit rating argument and i am a little more torn between that and agility. Specially when i see a judgement miss and not getting a JOJ debuff.

I am not trying to troll, but i really cant belive a main tank would get attack power in a raiding environment over avoidance or hit. Please help me understand the rational a bit more.
_________________
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Cho%27gall&n=Stinkpalm
Knaughty
Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:14 pm
As a data point, TPS is a real issue at Malygos-25.

We had our warrior tanking first few attempts and serious DPS cap issues were present. Unsurprising, when DPS are running at +50% or +100% damage, tank typically isn't.

Eventually tried me, even with my JoL threat, Soul-Shatter, Invis & Salvation all required to let our top DPS go all out.

P1 down in 5 mins, P2 a bit slow. Saw P3 a couple of times, but not enough time available to beat enrage. Next week, I guess.

Tanks falling over is a slight problem. Malygos hits hard. Malygos+spark can one-shot you.

That said, I'm leaning to Agility over Potency. 0.5% Avoidance > 1% extra block.
_________________
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum.
Knaughty
Naxx-25 15/15 pre-buff