Skip to content
Maintankadin

Defenses and prioritizion of defenses questions

Xenbik
Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:03 am

Defenses and prioritizion of defenses questions

I used to play EQ and recently switched to WoW. My first main was a mage then I switched to a pally because that's what I played in EQ and liked it. I did get 490 def/102.4% before WoTLK, I've read a bunch of stuff on the forums and I feel as if I didn't get it the most efficient way. In addition, I feel like a lot of the gear is different. Okay so I got a bunch of questions so I'll just list em out.

1.) I still need 102.4% avoidance and now 540 (raid) or 535 (heroic) defense?

2.) I read something that said(can't remember where) a block value of at least 300 has some significance?

3.) I also read somewhere (don't believe on here) that crushing blows were taken out of the game? If so, why do tanks still need to obtain 102.4% avoidance?

4.) Does anyone know what amount of dodge, parry, and defense is the limit before diminishing returns. In addition, does anyone know the cap for block value?

5.) After I get to 540/102.4% I should try to maximize my EH and block value?

6.) Lastly, in order to be the most efficient and get the most bang for my time, how should i prioritize? Should I get my defense to 540 first, then keep going until I get diminishing returns, or focus on parry or dodge after I get to 540? Are the avoidance gains from parry and dodge the same or does one give more than the other? Any suggestions on what to focus on or an order would be awesome.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Flipthebird
Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:35 am
Well, 540 defence is a MUST, but the 102.4 is not...but it is still a higly recommended stat to aim for.

Crushing blows were pushed to mobs that are 4 levels above you...so you'd really only have to worry about them while you're leveling...in raid content, you will not meet them, so you only have to really worry about crits.

Getting 102.4 though, will make you 'unhitable'. Meaning you will not recieve a direct after that. I'm of the belief that reaching 102.4 will benefit you MORE when you're AoE grinding than if you're in a raid, BUT it's still not BAD to have it in raid as well since it will in effect add to your EH, since you won't recieve an unblocked hit, and it will make healing you easier.
_________________
xstrykr
Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:45 am
1. As said before, 102.4% avoidance isn't necessary anymore, but getting defense-capped is. Getting block-capped (the new term for 102.4%) is a goal, but should be attempted to cap only after being comfortably defense-capped.

2. BV is now HUGE for mitigation. Strength adds to it at a ratio of 1 STR/0.5 BV. Plus one of our highest-threat abilities, Shield of Righteousness, does damage based off of BV. With the change to crushing blows, once you're defense-capped and block-capped, EVERY HIT that you take will be mitigated in some form.

3. Crushing blows were not completely taken out, they only apply to mobs +4 levels up. Meaning if you're 80, that raid boss won't crush your ass. If you're 79 on the other hand, be prepared for a world of hurt.

4. There's only soft caps, as far as I know. Dodge does have a DR of 0.5% (or was it 0.05%? I know it's somewhere) per 2% dodge, and I think parry has a similar DR. Not sure what the DR rate for Defense is.

5. BV IS EH now for Paladins. Getting block-capped is effectively getting more EH.

6. Has been answered somewhere else - this sticky actually has all the answers already, so be thankful that I was nice enough to answer most of your questions Razz
_________________

Me: 15/15 Naxx-10, Arch-10, Sarth+0-10, Arch-25
Majiben
Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:32 pm
Small correction buffed with kings and talented 1 point of str from gear will give 2.5 AP and .83 BV.
_________________
I made a port to exodar. My friend proceeds to MD Alar onto the AFK tank, and we both run. People ran with us, until the port, and realised it was to exodar. Only three of us went through. Turns out people would rather die than go to exodar. -Infurnus
Kalakaua
Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:09 am
540 defense is the minimum for raiding, so you don't get crit.

Defense is still good to stack because it's only slightly less pure avoidance than dodge, spreads diminishing returns around to different stats, and is one of the best stats to stack in order to reach 102.4%.

Once you hit lvl 80, raid bosses won't crush you, but 102.4% is still valued because block values have skyrocketed. If you use the new badge libram, you'll easily be blocking for 2k damage or more with full raid buffs. When the boss is hitting you for 8-10k, taking 2k off every hit effectively reduces incoming damage by 20-25%.