Skip to content
Maintankadin

What do we think of the Icebane Girdle prior to heroics?

Barathorn
Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:23 am

What do we think of the Icebane Girdle prior to heroics?

Ok, so I have been reviewing my gear, and I keep looking at that level 74 belt thinking I wish there was something better. While in the AH I stumbled across this item, which appear to be relatively cheap, either to buy or have made for you,

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43587

My initial thought was meh, wasted points on resist and no defense [which I have to say I am not struggling for and I don't even have all my enchants done yet]. But the the more I looked at the armour, the gem slots, the gem bonus the more I thought, hang on, are we missing something by being blinkered by defense here?

With the addition of an extra socket from BS[which any belt can have admittedly], and the huge stamina on this item allowing you to use the gem slots for whichever purpose you need, have we missed this item as a potential high stamina, multi socketed gap filler between dinging 80 and heroics/raiding? I noticed another thread asking about resist sets, chances are we may well need a set for the future anyway?

Or am I talking rubbish?

Barathorn
_________________
degre
Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:48 am
If it's relatively cheap I think it make sense. You could easily gem it for avoidance/def and get the bonus as well, then the buckle will fix for whatever extra you may need.

You'll miss the strenght and you'll have wasted the FrR itemization points, but for the 1300 armour provided, the 140 stamina and 3 gem slots, well, I'll think about it Very Happy

For how much it goes on your AH?
_________________
Barathorn
Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:12 am
I picked up one yesterday for 200 gold all told, to me that is a bargain.

HinataDestiny, I don't think you read what I posted properly Smile I am saying this doesn't appear to be a tanking belt, but actually it offers flexibility and bucket loads of armour and health, and as such does that make it a viable contender for a pre raid belt? For heroics, the stamina and armour alone make it look appealing.

Or does it flatter to decieve?

Barathorn
_________________
Janduin
Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:55 am
It's not bad, and you can certainly gem it with defense to make it an acceptable pre-raid belt. This has the advantage of being how you would gem it anyway for resist fights. I would get the badge belt though instead.

I just made one of each of the Icebane set while leveling blacksmithing in case they are needed in Icecrown or whenever.
_________________
degre
Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:27 am
For 200g is indeed a bargain.
Then I don't know how much you pay for gems, but even saying that you want 3 greenies with a buckle, on mine you'll spend another 100g tops, which is pretty close to nil for what you get.

As you mentioned, surely is not the uberleet gear, but it's a fair choice for filling the slots while you spend your badges elsewhere.
_________________
Stilgarr
Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:27 am
I'd get any guildies under 450 BS to make 4-5 sets for the guild bank now tbh as next patch the mats costs increase.

As for it being a tank belt, I've had crap luck with drops ect so far so this could turn out to be rather handy, the belt buckle and a JC only gem in there makes it even more appealing than my 70 badge belt Wink
_________________
Barathorn
Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:51 am
Yeah that is a nice belt, but the ones I have seen are 800G. Hence it making me think about the Saronite Belt and then the Icebane Girdle.

Barathorn
_________________
Eanin
Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:26 am
If you can spare the defense and threat, yes, it's pretty nice. I actually get more tank points out of my frost resist BP than I do out of my "tanking" one. However, I don't want to lose the threat.
_________________
Majiben
Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:56 am
Aww I could have been DEing these belts and selling the shards back when they were 1k a pop for abyssal shards.

Back on topic: While it's still cheap, it could be used as a preraid/heroic belt. It has a few disadvantages though:
It requires level 80
It requires gemming
It will require a frozen orb soon
_________________
I made a port to exodar. My friend proceeds to MD Alar onto the AFK tank, and we both run. People ran with us, until the port, and realised it was to exodar. Only three of us went through. Turns out people would rather die than go to exodar. -Infurnus
Stilgarr
Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:12 am
Swapped it for the 70 badge belt the other day, got a stam boost and kept on the 540 Def too Smile

Will add a buckle and 41Stam gem in it tonight and aim for other badge kit for now Smile
_________________
Barathorn
Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:48 am
I have been using mine since I bought it, I find with it on I am at 540 def even with missing some enchants and with Kings, a food buff and Fortitude I hit just under 26k health. Avoidance is currently around 47% so the lack of defense on the piece prior to gemming does not appear to have hurt me that much.

It works for me.

Barathorn
_________________