Skip to content
Maintankadin

All the expertise on tier gear and in general

Merodyn
Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:43 am

All the expertise on tier gear and in general

Is it wasted item points for us paladins? Talent points + glyph gives us quite alot already, i dont get why we need more from the gear. Would much rather spend those itempoints elsewhere >.<

Or am i compeltly wrong? the expertise is much needed?(i got no threat issues atm)
_________________
Barathorn
Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:56 am
While it isn't needed in huge quantities, it does still help significantly with our threat. Now admittedly at the moment we don't have threat issues, but we will have eventually I would imagine. It is not wasted points, no matter how much we would have liked other stats, expertise does still have a role to play for us, however it should not be one of the main stats we seek currently as our threat isn't an issue.

I think Expertise is one of those 'time will tell' stats and we will have to wait and see how the next tier of raids work prior to making judgements on its usefullness at the moment.

Barathorn
_________________
Morpheren
Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:33 am
This was on my mind as well, usually raid buffed I sit about 40 expertise skill, which to the best of my memory is -10.00% to dodge and parry. I understand this is way past the dodge cap, but is still a threat/dps and mitigation boost eating away parries.

Mind you I haven't been gearing for Expertise at all, however I do use Rhinolicious Wormsteak because its the easiest +40 stamina food for me to farm.

Additionally, I'm just shy of 6% hit, and I've been trying to shift as much Expertise -> Hit as much as I can, while still keeping me raid ready.
_________________
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.

http://armorylite.com/us/sen%27jin/koriel
Karador
Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:51 am
Expertise with Talents and the Glyph is pretty good as it sits now. in NO WAY is it a wasted stat at all when you look at the overall view of things.


Would i stack it? not a chance in hell

Would i drop a piece because it had it on it? No Chance.
_________________
Armory Link
Tbolt
Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:03 am
It's been my experience that there is a lot of expertise on the pre-raid gear. Once you start doing naxx and the rest of the raids however you will upgrade to pieces which usually present other stats and that will chip away at your rating. I'm human, so the racial and the glyph keeps my expertise at a respectable level while using SoV. Using different seals however, my expertise is nowhere near where it was when I was doing heroics as a fresh 80.
_________________
Sonic
Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:11 pm
Expertice isn't a wasted stat, it's justa bit plentyful. You really don't need many slots with it though. What really hurts us in tank gear is the lack of hit. You shouldn't ever have to worry abuot expertice. It's defence and hit you will need to gem/enchant for.
Candiru
Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:19 am
Before the dodge cap expertise is worth less than hit for our threat.

Both of them are worth ~ 1/4 of the threat of Str.

After the dodge cap expertise is worth ~1/8 the value of Str.

Its really not worth it for threat! The mitigation from not being parried is useful though, and if you use SoB with enough expertise you can see a TPS increase, but with SoV expertise is a junk stat.
Barathorn
Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:49 am
While I agree I would rather have an avoidance stat I still consider expertise far from being a 'junk' stat. Anything that gives you an increase in threat is worthwhile even if it is only our white damage.

Now before people start saying we don't need threat, I agree, at the moment we don't need threat, but we will at some point. The proof of the value of the stat will be if it is sought in the later tiers of raiding or on equipment in the later tiers, not the tiers available now with the expansion. Yes I appreciate the fact it is possibly our lowest level threat stat, but it remains a threat stat regardless.

I honestly think we need to wait and see before making judgements, I can see that at the moment it doesn't look like a good stat for us and that my earlier assessment may have been misleading, but it certainly isn't the worst stat for us, even if we don't actively seek it.

Time will tell its true value. I haven't given up on expertise yet, I don't think anyone else should either.

Barathorn
_________________
Candiru
Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:55 am
Well, once you are past the dodge cap even Agi will give more threat than Expertise. And Agi is worth avoidance / EH too!