Skip to content
Maintankadin

Best non-profession related tank trinkets?

Kalakaua
Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:43 am

Best non-profession related tank trinkets?

I searched the forums and I don't believe this question has been answered definitively for poor miner/blacksmiths like myself who can't get a Monarch Crab, Alchemist stone, or Sonic Booster. Since I'm very close to being block capped without any trinkets, I've been giving some thought as to what I should be aiming for.

Essence of Gossamer is the clear winner for the first slot. You can never go wrong with effective health, but since the 2nd best stamina trinket for unprofessionals is Commendation of Kaelthas, I'm probably better off using something else. I've heard tanking in lvl 70 gear at lvl 80 kills puppies and makes babies cry (or was that wipes raids and makes healers cry?).


I'm currently leaning towards one of these avoidance trinkets, however diminishing returns sucks a big fat one. I'd use whatever gives the most pure avoidance based on the rest of my gear.

Valor Medal - Dodge is the best pure avoidance stat, but since it's found on so many end-game drops, it'll probably be the heaviest hit by DR.

Rune of Repulsion - If my dodge is high enough, this one might provide more avoidance than the valor medal.

Repelling Charge - As it is often repeated, 540 defense is the minimum and the extra defense from this trinket provides a little over 2% pure avoidance before diminishing returns if my calculations are correct. Not bad since it spreads the DR out over several different stats. Probably my pick for best-in-slot after the Essence of Gossamer.


The other path I've considered is trying to increase effective health through ways other than stamina by using one of these trinkets.

Defender's Code -Armor is good, but I'm not quite sure how to do the calculation to see if it's worthwhile to use over an avoidance trinket.

Lavanthor's Talisman - The best trinket to use to get block capped quickly becomes the least attractive option after you can get capped with out it since extra block rating does nothing. I suppose it can be useful if holy shield isn't up for whatever reason(silences, adds, laziness). The on use effect at the beginning of the fight can help establish that solid threat lead early on and provide a decent amount of mitigation while healers are getting into position.

I didn't mention threat trinkets (non-issue so far) or trinkets that are just lesser versions of the ones I listed, but did I leave anything else out? I know the best trinket can be situational, but what do you maintankadin experts think is best for tanking 25-man Malygos or 3-drake Sartharion?
Daddytank
Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:08 am

Re: Best non-profession related tank trinkets?

Imo the best there are:

Essence of Gossamer easily as thats just too much stamina to say no to.

Secondly i use Repelling Charge overall i prefer it for the extra defence too, lets me gem for a bit more stamina and it gives me more flexibility with the gear i choose.

on fights like h maexxna i will swap out the Essence of Gossamer for Valor Medal. This is is because i can pop the activate and its like a semi shieldwall for the enrage. as long as you still have enough hp to get by, sometimes the activate can be more useful then the overall EH boost. just a judgement call on your behalf.
_________________
Ewige
Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:00 am
Yeah, highly recommend Repelling Charge as a second trinket (to gossamer), allows for more stam gems all around AND better passive avoidance than valor (much less with the valor's on-use effect, admittedly). I would use repelling charge over valor on Maexxna, too. One of those fights where I trust my healers more than RNG (and EH really helps push AD!). Haven't died yet, but as usual, go by what you feel is right.

And to think I almost didn't roll for it!
_________________
Eiv - Fliegende Kinderscheiße!