Skip to content
Maintankadin

TPS weapon

wesintex
Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:18 pm

TPS weapon

I was talking with my friend and he was saying a spell dmg weapon is still best for threat.

Is strength really that great? I was trying to test out which one was getting me more threat at level 76 but I still have no conclusion.

Is strength the new threat stat?
Invisusira
Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:19 pm
Yes, in some situations (namely large AoE) a spell damage weapon will still give you a little more threat. (Which you do not need.)

Yes, strength really is that good. Not only does it increase your AP, but also your BV - which in turn increases damage done by your shield slam (in addition, of course, to decreasing damage dealt to you since you'll block for more). Yes, strength is the new threat stat.


No, you should not be using a spell damage weapon. Tell your friend to stop living in the past.
_________________
armory | youtube | pally stole my bike
towelliee
Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:28 am
Bah I still use my TitanSteel Guardian in Naxx Trash since I solo 10 man version now, just for fun. I finally sold my ToC yesterday too...

/tear
_________________
aleyona
Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:35 pm
Many paladins are still confused on this because they don't regularly check places for updates. Just prior to the release of WOTLK, there was an over-all coefficient change put into place on paladins (the same reason that ret paladins got whacked by the nerf stick). It was at that point the Titansteel Guardian was pushed down in terms of TPS.

What this means - They're not living in the far past, they're just ill-informed. I said exactly the same thing up until I had to make a choice of what weapon to get. I did my research and was like... oooh (insert light turning on here). After that I went searching for my red sword of courage.
_________________
Aleyona of Srs Bsns
CKaz
Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:56 am
the only small thing I'd add to heap more on the 'don't worry about spellpower anymore' bit

HotR uses the DPS of your weapon, and spellpower weapons traditionally have poor DPS. HotR is x4 of the DPS of your weapon in fact, so it translates into a fair bit of threat up to 3 opponents which you LOSE going to a SP weapon. Slow vs Fast? Doesn't matter for HotR, as it uses DPS.
_________________
Discus
Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:21 am
I'm a smith but I don't get drops. Completed the painful Heroic Utgarde Pinnacle last night only for the druid drop for our off tank (who's now so much better geared than me I'm going to be forced into off tanking which I hate). Doubt I'll be able to drag my guildies through the third boss again, wouldnt be fair.

So are any of the craftable weapons worth wearing as a tank? Or maybe a pvp one? Or am I stuck with my eternally folded blade?
Fedaykin98
Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:50 am
Skadi isn't really that bad - I've only done Pinnacle twice (once was last night), but we one-shot him both times. Maybe your Skadi strategy is off?

There's an epic tanking sword that drops off of Gothik in Naxx 10, the second boss of the Military Quarter. It looks cooler than the RSoC, although I prefer the Red Sword's stats a bit.

EDIT: Hopefully it's clear from context, but I'm talking about Heroic Pinnacle. I haven't done it on regular at all.
_________________