Skip to content
Maintankadin

Defender's Code

Eanin
Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:35 pm

Defender's Code

I've always been a huge fan of armor, and so I really like the trinket Defender's Code

I've noticed no one really talks about it, though, and I'm kind of wondering why. Armor's really great and works when we're stunned or our holy shield gets eaten up. Plus, the on-use is a nice "oh crap" button.

Anyway, I was wondering what people thought of this trinket since I haven't heard anything about it. I really like it.
_________________
OntetheProt
Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:44 pm
Best in slot for druid so I passed. While the armor is nice, I think the trinket as a whole is pointless for a naxx geared pally tank. A lot of better options out there for the slot.

Edit: Not that I have any of those better trinkets. Haha.
_________________
Majiben
Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:49 pm
At my level of gearing (25k buffed armor and 31k hp buffed) a stamina trinket provides more EH than an armor one.

With the changes to druid and DK armor scalings, armor on items becomes less than perfect for all tanks.
_________________
Dokidoki
Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:51 pm
are they going to change the trinkets to compensate or just have them be a relic of the past? I would feel really cheated if they dropped after patch.....hell I feel cheated now when it drops, because its garbage.
Mysticknight
Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:03 pm
That trinket has drop almost every week for us and no one really want it, it is really good for druids but once the major patch comes out it wont scale with bear so its really not the best trinket, as a jc you can make Monarch Crab has 63 stam, 300 dodge proc and have 2 sockets for prismatic gems. (adding +54 parry, +54 dodge, +54 def, +82 stam, or even +54 str) so many different tanking trinkets you can pick from the armor and the dodge proc isn't going to be as potent as a stam or a pure advoidace trinket
_________________
Kelaan
Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:22 pm
While armor does help EH, I'm inclined to like things with passive avoidance effects. (Though, Lavanthor's in similar boat.) Considering that I usually end up using Ret aura rather than Devotion when I'm the only paladin (we have a tree healer Wink), the armor on a trinket just doesn't seem as useful to me... since if I wanted armor, I could swap to Devotion.

That said, if it's going to get sharded, take it -- could be good for pure EH situations (like web spray?) when avoidance stats (other than miss) are ineffective.
phaqueue
Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:46 pm
passed this to the DK that was with me last run...

definitely better for him than it is for me...

I am currently using the monarch crab/repelling charge - the crab has a better use effect (esp since it's a 1 min CD)

repelling charge is better imo because it's passive avoidance, and I like the use effect since I already have a dodge one...

I would definitely take one that's going to be sharded though - could be useful later...
_________________
Alrinea
Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:21 pm
the number of items scaling with bear armor bonus is limited to: leather items (no green armor here anyway) and white cloak armor (if the cloak got green armor, only the white part of it scales, the bonus armor doesnt). trinkets, rings etc with armor do scale currently but wont after 3.0.8.
the only thing armor on those items scales with (for druids) is: the metagem
_________________
Eanin
Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:19 pm
I took the trinket on and off earlier, and my mitigation went from 60.1% to 61.05%. So, the trinket is preventing 0.95% damage, but since I was only taking 39.9% damage in the first place, it prevents 2.38%. My understanding is that armor is the same no matter what the starting value, so it should be 2.38% for anyone.

I'd still say that's quite good. I've never liked the EH paradigm, since it's basically calculating what will happen if I stand still and get no heals, which almost never happens (the spider boss is the only exception I can think of). In a way, mitigation both increases my EH and increases my healing, since my health is worth more than it would be without it.

So, this trinket represents about a 2.38% increase in health and a 2.38% increase in healing effectiveness. That's not bad, and doesn't count the dodge ability.
_________________
Majiben
Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:40 pm
It's not as good as you think. Your character sheet assumes a equal level attacker not one 3 levels above you. Use this site to determine your true mitigation. It also has a link an EH calculator. As a JC I strongly prefer my crab for most situtations.
_________________
Threatco
Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:48 pm
I think JC's miss out on one of the largest parts of the game. Trying to farm that last trinket to drop after you have all ready finished the set weeks ago.

Normal Loken. Def

H VH. Blocks

H AN. Stamina

Was after those long after I had every other heroic drop.
_________________


At 540 Defense, when the tooltip says you have 5.6% chance to be missed, you really have a 4.11%.
Lavnihs
Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:32 pm
I'm not sad I missed it, I'm getting plenty of that pleasure trying to farm RSoC. Duoing Skaldi from 90%-->0 with your pocket priest is a blast. GG pug dps.

Nothing is funnier than watching 2 mages get mowed down by it, too scared to blink or iceblock.

Until about 5 minutes later. When you're still fighting him. Then it's not nearly as amusing.
_________________
Lavnihs -BE Prot Pally, <Deceit> Anetheron

1/1 Hogger (pre-nerf)