Skip to content
Maintankadin

New BS shield enchant?

mrtedhead
Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:50 pm

I don't think block capping is really worth it

The problem is our HP is getting so high that pulling 1k dmg off attacks isn't that big of return for the cost involved. the cost of grabbing that last extra 6-8-10% could easily give you 3-5k more hp or more threat generation.

What I have been doing is running at roughly 96% but with significantly more HP. I can reach 29.5k hp self buffed and upwards of 37k hp raid buffed.

How can someone tell me that getting about 1k dmg taken off just 5% more of attacks made against me is going to make any difference in the grand scheme of things?

The def cap + holy shield is good enough IMO after that get more HP.

What I really want to figure out is... What do you people think the ratio between % block/dodge/parry vs amount of HP would work out too.

for example would you give up 5000hp to have 5% more block or parry or dodge?
would you give up 500hp for 5% ?

any thoughts?
_________________
80 prot pally
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Draenor&n=Kavea
2ndNin
Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:19 pm
It is not 1000 off of 5% more attacks.

It is the knowledge that it is 1000 off the attack which would otherwise kill you. It is the knowledge that you take smooth damage, and can walk into a 0.9 attack speed average fight and ensure HS will prevent your BV each hit. Thats worth whatever you think it is, many like it.

If you have ever died with < BV damage -ve, then being block capped would have saved you. It also makes your damage less spiky, as there are not 5% of hits you take 1000 more than expected. It becomes exponentially better @ < 35% health (0.94*0.97*0.97*0.7 = 62% damage taken after armour - BV, in effect your BV becomes much more valuable, as it takes a hit from: (0.88*Hit-BV) to (0.62*hit-BV), meaning the block prevents way more than it would have).

As an example, 10K hit post armour, assuming worst cases:

No BV: 8800 (12% DR)
BV1000: 7800 - (22% DR) ~ 11% of previous total prevented
No BV AD: 6200 (38% DR)
BV1000 AD: 5200 (48%DR), ~ 16% of previous total prevented

At the Heroic / Early T7 level you will likely be 5-10% off, at the late T7-T8 you will likely be block capped by default unless you gear to avoid it, at this stage in the game don't gear for it but don't try and avoid it is my best advice.

I would note at the same time, that your talent build goes against the common wisdom for Tankadins, and at least at the moment you are wearing gear that looks like you are horribly confused, both gearing for stamina (violet badge + gossamer, 2/3 icebane (maybe 2nd last boss of naxx, but you don't need that really), using block libram still from old badges etc), avoiding better reputation gear etc.

If you have some solid maths to back up going against conventional wisdom, then please throw it out there, until then common wisdom would tend to prevail and suggest that block capped is good, and that pushing stamina is a plan that shows the old way of thinking rather than the new. (PS, I know my gear sucks and is badly enchanted atm, but I haven't been raiding and have been focusing on levelling my enchanting beyond doing gear I tend to replace the second I enchant it Razz).
_________________
Armoury Link

Ascendant
Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:44 pm
I am not quite sure how to word this properly. experience has taught me that reaching the block cap is a non-issue. it happens almost automatically so you would have to go out of your way to NOT reach it.

my problem is that I need to carefully weigh my avoidance stats so that I don't go over ~96% avoidance, because if I do, I am wasting stats. I don't care for block rating, but block value is my favorite stat for tanking and the two are often found together.
Eanin
Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:48 pm
It's not so much the extra mitigation: 3% block is just 3% block. What it is is that it makes us easier to heal. It's far less streaky to be block capped than not black capped.

You don't need (actually, you don't even want) to be block capped unbuffed. Get a druid to put Mark on you, case Kings on yourself, and then block cap yourself.
_________________
Conaan!
Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:01 am
heres the way i look at it, block caps provides pros and cons...

Pro's:
1) Steady damage
2) more threat (block rating gear generally comes with BV, and holy shield has a higher chance to be used)
3) near to total damage mitigation, for 10 man loatheb, in my block value gear, im a couple % of block cap and sitting at enough buffed BV to take off all but 100-300 damage, making it MUCH easier to heal me

con's:
1) could be sacrificing stamina
2) could be sacrificing pure avoidance

well, to me, the pro's outweigh the cons, if your not taking a huge hit in avoidance/stamina get yourself block capped

also, if you tanked pre-3.0, its pretty much habit to keep checking if your at 102.4 whenever you grab a piece of gear
_________________
Barathorn
Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:17 am
The key to it all is finding the balance you are happy with. Personally I am around 92 so 10 points off the 102.4. However my gear isn't great and it is definately something I am working towards as my gear improves. But it comes down to the point when it happens, if you try to force 102.4% prior to Naxx my understanding is that you sacrifice too much stamina, once you have a few pieces from Naxx then you pretty much reach it anyway, so its a kinda moot point when that happens?

While having lots of stamina looks appealing, if you choose not to work towards 102.4% [although your gear upgrades will dictate you do], my feeling is that you will eventually find yourself in trouble, although perhaps not from the current content.

Barathorn
_________________