Skip to content
Maintankadin

WotLK Gear Enchants and Gemming Advice Discussion Thread.

Barathorn
Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:21 am

Possible plan for the Gear Discussion Forum.

Hi all,

Having reviewed this forum it is obvious that we need to do something about the huge amount of stickies in this forum. My idea is a fairly simple one, because of the quality of the posts in this forum I don't really want to lose posts that are no longer relevant to current progression as per the latest expansion, so what I think might be an idea is if we consolidate the stickies and make 1 Main Tanking Sticky per expansion. So for example we would have 1 for WoW Classic Tanking, 1 for The Burning Crusade Tanking and 1 for Wrath of the Lich King Tanking.

Each 'uber' sticky would give a full guide on Main Tanking for that expansion, and while I appreciate the older stickies may be out of date, it would preserve them so that at a later date the original authors could if they so wish go back and revise them so they reflect the current enviroment and changes that have been incorperated.

This to my mind would give us 3 definative stickies and that is all we would really need, they could simply be added to as and when required. I would like your ideas and feedback on this idea so that we can make this forum more accessible to everyone and make it 'the' place to go to for Tankadin Guides.

Thanks in advance,

Barathorn
_________________
Enkal
Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:45 am
The first question that pops in my mind is: Do we really need guides for pre WOTLK? Dont think that many people will do much raiding or heroics @ lvl 60 and 70.

From many of the discussions I've seen the tankadin community is divided into:
1. 25 man progression raid maintanking
2. 10 man main/off -tanking
3. 5 man normal/heroic tanking

Many discussions that I've seen since I came here have been about some ppl only focusing on 25 man endgame while alot of ppl are asking about 5 man or entry level stuff.

So my suggestion and idea would be to have stickes around the 3 "types of tanking" that I wrote here. This way there would be less confusion when a 5-man tank wonders about stuff and get answers regarding endgame stuffs. Smile

My 2 cents. Cool
_________________
Ulushnar
Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:01 am
I have to say I agree with Enkal. Pre-Northrend stuff is no longer SRS BSNS and I'm not sure if we need to have guides on them per se.

That said, I do appreciate the desire to keep some of the more well-written and well-though-out guides from the past close at hand.

So maybe a current tanking sticky and an "archive" sticky for anything we think is worth keeping?

However, much as I appreciate nostalgia, I'm not sure having it in a forum frequented by people who are looking for an idea on where to start is a good idea.
_________________
I am a sexy, shoeless God of War!
Petrus
Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:13 am
Certainly some of the ideas set forth in older stickies are worth keeping around, but I agree that there's clutter at the top and it has to go. Any way it works, I think we should try to consolidate.
_________________
Enkal
Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:07 am
I would still prefer 3 stickies otherwise the main sticky will be 300 pages long with clutter in about 2 weeks and no sane person will be able to keep up with it...

I think we have to realise that the paladins who come here have different needs, I think it's hard to cater for all those needs with one sticky.

Or if someone wants to do the work, have a heavily moderated sticky that acts like a live document. Once a discussion has been concluded and the "result" is on page 1 the related posts can be deleted/moved to a trash thread. It would also mean deleting or moving nonrelated posts.

ideas ideas... Smile
_________________
Barathorn
Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:22 am
Ok so currently I think the best approach is for an 'Archived thread for reference only' and a 'General Main Tanking thread' and then 3 specific threads for '5, 10 and 25 man Tanking'?

Does that seem like a sensible idea? I appreciate you are trying to make my job easier Enkal Smile I want this as a forum, to be the place where people can come, find what they need easily and absorb that knowledge so that it makes them a better tank.

Ideas?
_________________
Ulushnar
Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:41 am
I thought the idea was to have one sticky to act as an index (ie a link to a specific post rather than copy-and-pasting it's pertinenet information.)

ie.

Useful Threads:

1. Someone's thread on enchants. (link)
2. Someone's thread on best gear for uncrittable at 80. (link)

erc.
_________________
I am a sexy, shoeless God of War!
Barathorn
Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:14 am
The index would be a less confusing way for new members/lurkers to find the information they require. I am also not keen on huge EJ's type threads as its hard to find what you need.

Tricky.

Lets get some other peoples ideas?
_________________
Petrus
Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:40 am
I'm a fan of the wowhead-linked threads, too, obviously.

One question for Ulu: If we want to make a post of the "best gear for uncrittable at 80" then were do we stop? Should it be all heroic gear or all blue gear from quests? I'm interested in doing/implementing this kind of list, as I did a quick one to 540 but I'd like to do a more detailed raid-tanking type of gearing up list.
_________________
Kellel
Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:21 am
At first I liked the idea of a separate thread for each expansion but the more I think of it .. the more I think that an implementation like that might be flawed, and may result in a lot of wasted time for new tankadins.

Instead why don't we consolidate all of the gear progressions into one end-all gear progression thread and sticky that. One thread with a post for each slot. Each post could have the progression of gear for that slot from classic wow right through to WOTLK. It would also be nice to have some kind of rating system for how easy it is to obtain that gear/enchant. I mean, have the progression listed, but highlight the most viable steps a new tankadin should take while leveling.

It could then discuss all viable enchants for that slot ... and how difficult they are to obtain.

Lastly you could round out the thread with a discussion of gems. It could really be the one stop shop for all tankadins .... and would be extremely bookmark friendly.

Believe it or not .. some tanks will exhaust all their time working to top of ONE progression list without looking at the other. Wink they might even spend time farming badges to get the best TBC gear ... not knowing that a crafted set of cobalt gear will get you through Wink.

This gear progression list could have indicators about which expansion the gear is available in, who drops it and how it stacks up with other gear for that slot listed above and below.

At the end of each slot post, you could have a link to the thread where that particular slot item is discussed. Shoulder Slot discussion, Boots discussion, enchants discussion, gems discussion .... this way, the index's are only accessed by people that have more questions .. and can be VERY specific, not to mention read through a couple of posts on THAT slot specifically .. and possibly find the answer they are looking for. There would also be no need to sticky the discussions on each slot.

And most importantly you can lock the thread Wink to avoid it's clutterfication. any discussion that needs to take place can be done in the slot item discussion threads.

This method is also future proof. If/when the next expansion comes out ... once you have a new gear progression, you simply edit the posts.

I suppose even after something like this has been implemented, we should still archive the original posts to maintain their integrity Wink hehe.

What do you think?
_________________
Crathus
Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:51 am
I agree with Enkal. Having three main stickies broken down into 5, 10, and 25 man gearing progression. This would be a great new way to kick off WotLK end game; which is coming very soon Smile
_________________


When an unstoppable force meets an immovable object...