Skip to content
Maintankadin

Yellow Gem slots.. if you're already at the defense minimum?

Enkoram
Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:48 pm

Yellow Gem slots.. if you're already at the defense minimum?

So... I'm already at 540 def.

My nifty new T7 chest has a yellow gem... if I'm at the def. Minimum (that is to say, I don't want the Enduring Forest Emerald) .. and I want the gemming bonus.. what do you put in there?

Or should I put the def/stam gem in there anyway?

There is no such thing as a defense cap, only a minimum. Additionally banishing this thread to the gear discussion forum. -Majiben

Changed the title, as Majiben says, there is only a minimum - Barathorn
_________________
Majiben
Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:55 pm
+16 defense.
_________________
Enkoram
Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:57 pm
Sorry for posting this in the wrong place.. I realized it after I'd posted it

sorry so n00b.
_________________
Dorvan
Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:30 pm
If you want the socket bonus and aren't a JC, def/stam or pure def are the most useful things you can put in there. Defense is still a solid avoidance stat above 540.

The other yellow options are very lackluster for Tankadins: hit, crit, haste, int
_________________


WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Spectrum
Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:40 pm
Defense is a good avoidance stat, but more importantly it helps you get towards being block capped.

I replaced a lot of my yellow/red sockets with +41 stam gems (JC only) and I now regret it because it's becoming hard to keep my defense up as I get more gear and I'm finding new "upgrades" drop me below 540.
_________________


No really, I'm not addicted.
Knaughty
Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:53 pm
MOAR! Defence or green defence/stam gems if you must.

Any socket bonus at all is probably better than sticking stam gems in yellow slots (IMO).
_________________
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum.
Knaughty of the Nightfall.
Basic FAQ and Advanced FAQ
Ratanna
Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:43 pm
put enduring in anyways.

you will get gear swaps and such. Miss rate is also nice for spells. if u dotn want enduring get vivid forest which is +8 hit 12 stam.
_________________

Mishakal
Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:42 pm
+16 Defense ftw.

However do check my gear, I probably didnt follow my own advice..

Must check my gemming ....
_________________
Nick7
Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:20 am
+8def/+12stam
_________________
Wolvar
Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:22 am
If you don't need the defense go with 8/12. You can always come back with a straight 16 if you find yourself light on defense due to upgrades.
_________________
Majiben
Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:24 am
If you don't need the stamina go with +16 defense and enduring gems in your blue slots. Two way road there wolvar and the master of it is preference. I do disagree with gemming hit however, though that was not particularly pushed.
_________________
Wolvar
Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:31 am
heh, dunno why you would ever NOT need stamina. Smile
_________________
Majiben
Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:34 am
Spoken like a true hp junkie Razz.
_________________
Eanin
Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:39 am
There's no such thing as a defense cap, just a defense minimum. Defense is probably the best stat to stack until you are block capped, so just put a +16 def gem in there. Once you reach the block cap, but in a +8 def/+16 stam gem.
_________________
Candiru
Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:47 am
Stamina gives you threat and mitigation as well as EH! (Sacred shield / Ardent Defender FTW)

And, I know it shouldn't matter, but stamina also gets you into raids / MT positions. (sadly)

I have mostly def/dodge+Stam gems and Stam gems. I have a couple of 16def gems to meet the defence soft cap*.

*soft cap refers to the point where there is a discontinuity in the benefit/stat curve, since defence is less valuable after the crit cap than before it, it can be considered a soft cap. Also, I'm going to refer to 540 def a different way every time I post since I really dislike the term "defence minimum" for some reason.