Skip to content
Maintankadin

2 armory profiles comparison

Loras
Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:26 am

2 armory profiles comparison

Here are 2 armory profiles:

1. A solid guild tank, can be considered as our 2nd MT (our real MT is a warrior)
CLICK

2. Me Razz
CLICK


Now, taking into consideration that by no means I am bringing this in for a debate to make him look bad (on the contrary, I'd really wanna do this for constructive criticism), I would love if you can give your comments on what you see, and the differences.

Before you begin, just introducing my ideas:

It's obvious that we can't even compare our gear level, he's 25 steps ahead of me. But still, I am trying to gear in the most appropriate "balanced" way as I don't have the chance for enough gear opportunities I can "choose" from. Meaning def capped, block capped, then increasing pure avoidance and stamina in a paralel way, or depending on the opportunities I get.

What troubles me is the way my buddy gears up. I tend to believe that rushing for huge avoidance and stamina without even being block capped is double-edged.
Also I found odd that 5/5 One-handed spec is missing and at the same time there's 2/2 improved judgements and 1/3 Crusade.
Is it just another approach (which is pretty viable and it's just that I don't like it), or it can be considered wrong? Also any comments towards my gear improvement/gearing methods would be appreciated. (of course, not "get more gear", which I obviously wanna do, but more like "you should aim for this, you're already doing wrong that" and so on).

Thanks in advance and apologies for the "rate my gear"-like topic Smile


Best regards
Loras
_________________
Majiben
Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:42 am
His spec stinks, his gearing and gemming is fine for the most part. He has a few enchants he should change (weapon should be +20 str or +26 agility; gloves should be +15 str, +18 stamina, agility or +240 armor). He should get an avoidance trinket as soon as possible, running 2 stam ones is rarely the answer (the thadius defense trinket would be particulaly potent for him). Different rings might serve them better but he may not have them yet. The only slot I could see him grabbing more BR rating in are his cloak, H KT shield and maybe his neck and bracers.

You have a lot of gems and enchants you could upgrade a lot. Your spec is fine.

EDIT you're from an EU server and thus don't have BS sockets visable.

EDIT2 the most likely reason for him skipping 1HS is he thinks it only increases auto attack damage. Inform him that it increases all damage as long as he keeps a 1h weapon equiped and he will likely spec into it in a heart beat.
_________________
mconeone
Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:55 am
Gearing: There's nothing wrong with gearing for avoidance/stamina. There is only one situation where you'd want to stack block and that's Loatheb. Block capping is a bonus more than something you'd want to strive for, at least until you have a full set of epic gear. If you have the choice between an item with 1% more avoidance vs. one with 1% more block, always go for the avoidance. If you want to be block capped, having a full set of epic gear to switch around will be much easier to deal with while not costing you nearly as much. My main suggestion to you is to get the essence of gossamer to replace your lavanthor's talisman.

Spec: It is an odd spec, and yes not taking 5/5 1h spec is not smart since it's one of the best threat talents we have. But also keep in mind that if he's not having problems with threat, it's really not a big deal. If the raid is threat capped he should consider re-speccing.

This might belong in the advice forum...
_________________
Rehlachs-
Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:55 am
let's keep this short.

Satyriqa
- weird specc, as you already mentioned yourself. for example it just makes no sense to got for Crusade instead of 1HSpec.
- weapon enchant, 20 str > 50 ap raidbuffed.
- until 3.0.8 +12 defense rating on bracers should have a better def/sta ratio than gemming for defense.

Loras
- QS equipped on your mainhand. I suppose you got a solid tanking weapon that would put your defense beyond 540.
- +16 agility on cloak equals a single agility gem.. but seriously, would you use such gems? the +16 defense rating enchant will allow you to exchange some of your gems - the yellow one in your bc-trinket or some of the forest emeralds you have put in blue sockets

well, comparing the whole toons is hard, because of the different level of your equipment.
Satyrqa is struggling with her defense rating, probably because of her trinkets and ring. therefore her gems are kind of focused on defense rating.
Loras seems to use 'budget' gems and enchants (sun crystals, forest emeralds, +18 stamina on boots, etc), therefore his current gemming probably doesn't reflect his original idea of gemming his gear.
_________________
Tetanie @ Mannoroth-EU
Koprolalie @ Mannoroth-EU
Loras
Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:10 am
Oh, damn, sorry about that, some wrong info and lacking comments from my side...

1st - the weapon + shield I am currently with are wrong...
I am using http://www.wowhead.com/?item=39344 (enchant doesn't matter, was hoping to put 75 sta next patch, if they don' t introduce it, i'll put potency or agility)
My shield is http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42508, enchanted with 20 defence.
With those I have more avoidance, def and stamina, of course, and I am at 550 def or something, 26.5k hp.
The reason I am putting 8 def 12 sta is because it seems for me they offer the optimal performance. 16 def seems for me less "good" than 8 def 12 sta, can't really say why, just personal taste.
And I know my JC trinket gems suck. Been too slacky to replace them with the rare equivalents hehe Smile

That's why I wouldnt change gemming even with 16 def on cloak - 540 def is not cap, and def offers the best avoidance+block cap ratio. rather have 0.60% avoidance and 0.20% block , than 0.65% avoidance (numbers not real, just for example). Also, thought it's not worth to put an enchant on such crappy boots just to get 4 more stamina.

Keeping that into consideration, the gemming and enchanting advice should be satisifed, I guess (*a questioning look at Majiben*)
_________________
Majiben
Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:15 am
Your gemming and enchanting was correct for the most part (+16 agility never beat +16 defense while +22 agility can give it a run for it's money) it just needed to be the pgraded versions. Good to see that you have a better (imo) shield and weapon (I know you weren't really using the one in your armory lol).
_________________
Loras
Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:36 am
Well, after so many runs finally got the Crest last night, and I simply LOVE Quel'Serar, find it the best looking sword out there, so was just equipping them for RP purpose Smile But of course, using the better ones Smile
_________________