Skip to content
Maintankadin

Regemming as JC in 3.2

Heldina
Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:27 pm

Regemming as JC in 3.2

Hey!

I'm just curious as if any of you have looked at - or made a strategy yet on how to Regem up for 3.2 as a JC ?

I just got on the PTR now - and started to look around a tad on the choices and epic gems.

Any thoughts and ideas anyone wanna share ?
Mert
Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:18 pm

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

I haven't looked into it too closely myself, but my general strategy will likely be:

First I'll look at any Enduring Forest Emeralds I have and work out if replacing them all with epic versions will mean I can use one fewer to keep above the defense minimum. That should tell me exactly how many non-blue sockets I have available.

I'll then use Solid Dragon's Eyes (does anyone know what the adjusted value of these will be, incidentally?) in pieces where the socket bonus is weakest (for me that's currently the +Block Rating on the Tier 7.25 chest, for example). If I run out of pieces with a non-Stamina socket bonus, I will put my Dragon's Eye in whichever has the lowest +Stam socket bonus and a non-blue socket.

After that it'll generally be a case of just upgrading all I have to the epic equivalent, so +Stam in blue or colourless sockets, +Def/+Stam in yellow and +Agi/+Stam in Red.
Braundo
Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:52 pm

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

Mert wrote:I'll then use Solid Dragon's Eyes (does anyone know what the adjusted value of these will be, incidentally?)

http://ptr.wowhead.com/?search=dragon%27s+eye

51 stamina.

And unless I'm missing something, it doesn't particularly matter which sockets we use a Solid Dragon's Eye versus a regular Solid Sky Sapphire, does it? They're both blue, the Dragon's Eyes simply have better stats. Just load up on blue gems wherever the socket bonus is bad (and assuming you don't need/want any defense or agility gems), and make sure you have three Dragon's Eyes in at all times. Right? (This is ignoring meta gem fulfillment, of course.)
Mert
Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:14 am

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

Haha yeah that's a good point actually. In that case I guess the Dragons Eyes will simply be in the pieces I'm likely to keep longest.
amh
Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:53 am

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

Mert wrote:Haha yeah that's a good point actually. In that case I guess the Dragons Eyes will simply be in the pieces I'm likely to keep longest.


I might just do the exact opposite, since I think JC-gems will still be a lot cheaper and easier to get a hold of than regular epic gems :)
Mert
Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:58 am

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

Well I have about 200 Emblems of Heroism sitting doing nothing at all just now so that's my first 13 gems taken care of at the very least :)
amh
Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:01 am

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

I guess it´s time to actually figure out how many I got. Spread across four characters it doesn´t look like all that much, but it might become a gem or three put together..
Dzzope
Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:52 am

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

Possibly a separate question.. but what do you guys make of the dragons eyes not being prismatic any-more.. (unless blizz has changed it back since last time I was on the ptr)

I myself am really really disappointed in them as it was the main reason I went for jc (I likes matching socket bonuses)

It's really going to be a pain in the behind to re-gem, keep meta up and match socket-bonuses now...
Braundo
Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:56 pm

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

Dzzope wrote:Possibly a separate question.. but what do you guys make of the dragons eyes not being prismatic any-more.. (unless blizz has changed it back since last time I was on the ptr)

I myself am really really disappointed in them as it was the main reason I went for jc (I likes matching socket bonuses)

It's really going to be a pain in the behind to re-gem, keep meta up and match socket-bonuses now...

Being that the regular Epic gems are 30 stam, and the Dragon's Eyes are now 51, that provides a +63 stamina bonus over non-JCers. That is roughly consistent with the bonuses achievable by all other professions (roughly in the neighborhood of 60 stamina across the board). It's making JC more balanced, and not so overpowered.

And yes, oh no, we'll have to satisfy meta requirements and actually make decisions on socket bonuses now, but so does everyone else.
Meyrinn
Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:18 pm

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

I think the whole change to non prismatics is a bad move. The stat points value of the professions were all about equal, including JC. However, JC had 2 advantages:

1) Meta Requirements weren't an issue
2) We could ignore the color on 3 sockets, and this resulted in trading 8 stat points of yellow/red for 8 stat points of blue(12 stamina) fro 3 sockets.

It seems that this would make sense that JC's would get these advantages. We can get 36 more stamina at the loss of 24 points of yellow/red stats. Its not more stats overall, its more flexibility with stats from gems.
Tullock
Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:57 am

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

The whole reason the nerf was needed though, is because of that flexibility. Every spec of every class has one stat they favor above others, jc and bs both get to pick that stat, and for us hybrid types, we get triple the bonus, because we got boosted str for ret, boosted stam for prot, and boosted int for holy, all from the same profession. I mean, if you look at a profession after it has been nerfed, and it is still the clear cut winner of the lot, its hard to say that the nerf wasnt warranted.
Elsie
Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:47 pm

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

Meyrinn wrote:I think the whole change to non prismatics is a bad move. The stat points value of the professions were all about equal, including JC. However, JC had 2 advantages:

1) Meta Requirements weren't an issue
2) We could ignore the color on 3 sockets, and this resulted in trading 8 stat points of yellow/red for 8 stat points of blue(12 stamina) fro 3 sockets.

It seems that this would make sense that JC's would get these advantages. We can get 36 more stamina at the loss of 24 points of yellow/red stats. Its not more stats overall, its more flexibility with stats from gems.

Sigh. The bonus stamina from JC right now is +87 for me. The bonus for other professions are +48 or +50. The bonus strength for my ret set is well over 50 instead of 32. For stamina, you give up 24 agility/defense so that's still +65 if we went stat-for-stat (and +51 if you use the item value equalities).

Here's the kicker. Tanks don't care about losing a tiny bit of avoidance. The superior health is much better for any hard modes. The DPS don't care about losing about 24 stamina and 8 crit rating. The crit is minimal and the stamina is worthless. This means that you're gaining a bonus at no tangible loss. So your options to reign in JC were to either get rid of prismatics or substantially nerf the bonus on them. Most people, however, do not understand the trade off above.

The problem with JC was not the flexibility. It was the ability to reduce wasted stats in order to further specialize. The opportunity cost was negligible in most cases.
Majiben
Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:13 am

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

Moved to the gear discussion forum since this topic is on gearing theory without asking how to handle your personal gearset in particular.

-Majiben
Petrus
Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Regemming as JC in 3.2

The only thing I'm really not sure of yet is what I'm going to do with my red sockets - Dodge/Stam or Agi/Stam? I might be matching sockets where I can pick up stam bonuses (at least ones that are worth them), but for the most part I'm starting to consider throwing straight stam gems everywhere.

Assume a socket setup such as that on the Indestructible Plate Girdle or Spiked Deathdealers: one blue socket, one yellow or red socket, 9 stamina bonus.

In 3.1:

Two 24 stamina gems = 48 stamina
One 24 stamina gem + one hybrid (8 x/12 stamina) gem + socket bonus = 45 stamina

Thus, matching sockets was a loss of only 3 stamina.

In 3.2:

Two 30 stamina gems = 60 stamina
One 30 stamina gem + one hybrid (10 x/15 stamina) gem + socket bonus = 54 stamina

In the case with epic gems, we are now losing 6 stamina. The case for double stamina gems was tenuous before, especially if you needed a significant amount of defense to reach defense cap and the second socket was yellow. However, it is now stronger. The one place that I think will most warrant double stamina gems will be in the Boreal Guard. I was alright with losing a little stamina for some dodge, but now the stamina loss is MUCH more significant and many socket bonuses seem to be designed with the non-epic gems in mind, so even sockets (usually helm sockets) with +12 stamina bonuses lose 3 stamina when using hybrid gems instead of 30 stamina gems.

Combine that with the fact that EH stacking is so important now, and you have plenty of reason to go blue gems in every possible socket (except for the one you use to match your meta).