OSDeath wrote:With the recent changes to block value and such do we continue to use the Stam/Armor metagem (Austere) or do we consider the Defense/BV (Eternal) gem as being as good or better? The Eternal will basically be the same as the new epic Defense gem and include the block value. I'm not a numbers person so I really don't know.
Austere Earthsiege Diamond
+32 Stam and +2% increased Armor
2 Blue/1 Red
Eternal Earthsiege Diamond
+21 Defense and +5% Block Value
2 Red/1 Blue
Thanks for any discussion,
Prot
There's already several threads about this here, in the enchant and gem guide, which will state "Gem for the purpose". Blockset = Eternal, Maintank set = Austere but just in case lets take a peek.
Let's analyze seperately:
21 defense x 1.5 = 31.5, so on pure itemization level you get a free half point of stamina. If you gem for stamina, then the first half of the item you would obviously prefer the Austere.
2 percent increased armor vs 5 percent block value.
Assumptions for blockvalue: Average maintank set = between 1150 and 1300 block value, we'll say 1200 for back of the envelope calcs.
0.05 x 1200 = 60 block value, presuming all block value is eligible for the meta, which I'm not sure if it is or not. Either way, 60 max.
That 60 is only used on attacks that you block. Presuming 60 percent avoidance (30 dodge, 20 parry, 10 miss) and block capped, a smidge over 40 percent attacks can be blocked, presuming no stun, knockdown or you just facing the wrong way. However, armor only counts on non avoidance and if you're block capped, they're one in the same so we can skip this bit.
2 percent armor value. Now armor values vary GREATLY between tanks and their preferences for gearing as well as their raiding level. For now, I'd consider somewhere between 24k and 26k armor for tankadins. We'll use the lower end of the spectrum for analysis.
24,000 x 0.02 = 480 armor.
@24k armor, Damage Reduction = 59.062 from an 83.
@24.48k armor, Damage Reduction = 59.54 from an 83.
Solving the equations, X * 0.59062 + 60 = X * 0.59540, X = 12,552.3. That is a PRE-Damage reduction #.
The Austere is preferrable for any mob where the mob hits for over 12,552 unmitigated. Most ulduar bosses, to my knowledge, hit for closer to 100,000 unmitigated if 50,000 dps on a 2s swing timer, so I'm going to say unless you're doing heroics or grinding, the Austere is nearly universally better.
Disclaimer: I'm not a math person and I'm easily confused, so this could be off.