Skip to content
Maintankadin

Expertise overload!

Candiru
Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:11 am

Expertise overload!

Is anyone else suffering from a massive glut of expertise?

I got the cloak and legs from ToC now, and with the Glyph that puts me over the dodge cap.

At what point would it be worth ditching the SoV Glyph for something else? (Hotr, RD, judgement) I'm actively trying to avoid getting any more expertise now, which means getting the T9 helm rather than badge, and badge shoulders rather than T9!

Why is there so much expertise on the gear, and so little hit? :(
Gamingdevil
Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:05 am

Re: Expertise overload!

SoV glyph will always be best for threat, untill you pass the hard cap. Expertise isn't actually bad, I just wish it didn't replace all the hit. There are about 3 pieces in the coliseum worth picking up that have hit on them and I'm including the T9 pants.
kanst
Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:03 pm

Re: Expertise overload!

Me and our prot warrior are already trying to figure out how to mantain a decent amount of hit.

There are the 10 man boots, the crafted bracers, and tier legs, thats it. Those are the only 245 or better ilevel tank items with hit on em.

Thats only 131 hit, + 25 from accuracy and maybe +20 hit on hands, 176 which is still kinda low but Ill have to deal. I am just pissed that I am going to have to wear those crappy tier pants just to mantain the kind of hit I like to have.
Avengeance
Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: Expertise overload!

I'm running into the hit problem as I am replacing my U25 hit stuff. Just fell to 200 hit after last night, and will drop more as I replace the conquest badge stuff. I'm seriously considering replacing Salvation glyph with taunt glyph to make sure it doesnt miss (I wiped raid on IC hard coz my taunt missed on tank switch ;<)
gmf1
Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:42 pm

Re: Expertise overload!

51 Expertise!!! Only 192 hit, at the end of the day is threat really an issue for anyone? Other than when dps out gear you?

Hp and avoidance are the only things i look at when choosing gear (within reason of course), not guna loose a heap of avoidance by getting t9 pants just to maintain hit lvls. After nerf this may have to be re-evaluated, but as it stands now its a non issue.
Alanyor
Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:39 am

Re: Expertise overload!

Dropped all my hit, have 36 hit rating and RD glyph, and 43 expertise. No aggro problem at all, but more stamina.
Tiranknight
Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:55 am

Re: Expertise overload!

It's not a problem yet, but it's getting too close... on single target pulls I'm ussually fine, but pulls of 3 or more, I'm noticing I'm just not maintaining the kind of AoE threat I used to... and some of the Mages are beginning to pull off me.. on stuff like Freya Elementals. Which hurts because I have to spend more time TPSing like a mad man..rather then monitoring their health and calling out which one needs to be brought down more.
Candiru
Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:42 am

Re: Expertise overload!

Lack of hit is also bad when you cast Exorcism->Hand of Reckoning->Avenger's shield to pull the boss (all three attacks land within ~0.5s!) and only one of them hits...

WTB more hit for pulling / pickups and taunts! I might even swap salvation glyph back to RD now that we have AD..
vegardhv
Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:45 am

Re: Expertise overload!

Candiru wrote:Lack of hit is also bad when you cast Exorcism->Hand of Reckoning->Avenger's shield to pull the boss (all three attacks land within ~0.5s!) and only one of them hits...

WTB more hit for pulling / pickups and taunts! I might even swap salvation glyph back to RD now that we have AD..


Do you manage to send off that HoR before boss targets you ?
Rhiannon
Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:02 pm

Re: Expertise overload!

HoR's off GCD, you can throw it out just as the exorcism cast is about to finish.
Treck
Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: Expertise overload!

Im suffering from this aswell :S
Neck, Chest, and 2x rings takes me over the dodge cap :S
And to see the T9shoulders, good leggings, back and the offset badge head got lots of expertise, makes me slightly annoyed.
I havnt noticed any differance in threat when going from 11expertise to up to 31 what i got now.
I really value expertise as one of the lowest stats tbh, and i see ppl gem for it :S And i really cant see how the SoV glyph would make anything close to noticable threat increase.
I run with about 100hitrating and have no threatproblems. I do however swap in a few hitrating parts for vezax HM, since its really the only fight where threat is really really needed. I never threatcap any raiders with my 100hitrating and i really dont want more, however id rather take hit than expertise...
vegardhv
Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:00 pm

Re: Expertise overload!

Rhiannon wrote:HoR's off GCD, you can throw it out just as the exorcism cast is about to finish.


Sure, but do you manage to get the damage from HoR, seeing as boss has to not target you for the damage to take effect.
kanst
Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:36 pm

Re: Expertise overload!

gmf1 wrote:51 Expertise!!! Only 192 hit, at the end of the day is threat really an issue for anyone? Other than when dps out gear you?

Hp and avoidance are the only things i look at when choosing gear (within reason of course), not guna loose a heap of avoidance by getting t9 pants just to maintain hit lvls. After nerf this may have to be re-evaluated, but as it stands now its a non issue.


Threat can be an issue for me. I dont like having to ask for MDs or Tricks. Ideally the rogues should be trading tricks with each other and the hunters should just be worrying about there own problems.

On fights where the dps gets to stand and spam and I dont get a threat head start they are constantly nipping at my heals. I am kind of OCD about threat though, as a guild we demand a lot of threat from our tanks, and really hate to threat cap people. I carry around extra gear at all times to make sure I can hit cap myself for certain fights like Hodir and XT
repent
Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Expertise overload!

Threat isn't the issue. The problem is there are some fights that missing the taunt means a wipe or a dead tank. Some fights are so sensitive to this that if a particular taunt fails its a wipe. (Algalon just for one current example). The next set of Hard Modes only gives us limited numbers of attempts per week. One of my suggestions in other threads is to switch out any enduring gems you have for Vivid gems, defense allowing. (10 hit/15stam)
Candiru
Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:35 pm

Re: Expertise overload!

vegardhv wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:HoR's off GCD, you can throw it out just as the exorcism cast is about to finish.


Sure, but do you manage to get the damage from HoR, seeing as boss has to not target you for the damage to take effect.


yeah, the HoR lands first doing its damage, then the exorcism cast finishes and does damage, then AS flies off and does damage.

Normally at least 2 of them miss though, with my luck :(

(Exorcism is 17% base miss, so its pretty unreliable)