Skip to content
Maintankadin

Paladin Glyphs

Niemen
Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:54 am
I am still a bit concerned about the introduction of glyphs. On the one hand, it is nice to be able to enhance your spells in an individual way, but i wonder if it really adds to the complexity of optimizing your char instead of simply enhancing your char in a no-brainer way.

I am especially concerned about how this affects the costs of changing your spec. I am ok with having to pay 50g every time I respec (although it would be much fun to be able to change a few talent points for a specific encounter).
But i cannot afford to spend hundreds of gold for changing my glyphs (assuming that they are just as expesive to get as an enchantment), if i respec. This would basically ruin my chances at being competitive in Arena (as Holy or Retribution) and striving to be as good at tanking in raids as possible, just to give an example.
GothicPL
Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:08 pm
I understand the issue of wanting to optimize glyphs according to your spec, and switching specs make it pretty much impossible unless glyphs are "stored" somehow in your character profile.

On another hand, if you only have to buy a glyph once, inscription money making potential will be very limited. With enchants and gems you have to buy new ones for each new piece of gear in that slot, which keeps enchanting and jewelcrafting sustainable.

Any thoughts on how would inscription be profitable otherwise?

Good idea on starting an inscriber alt at 55. I thought I was done with alts, but having my own herbalist/inscriber is too tempting, and understanding Death Knight mechanics will probably make me a better paladin player too.

Perhaps inscribers could make "stacks" of 5 or 10 glyphs of the same kind that bind on first use. This way it's not prohibitively expensive to switch between stacks.

I don't have beta key, but feel free to post this idea to forums if you think it's valuable.
_________________
PsiVen
Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:30 pm
Inscribers will also be able to make consumables (scrolls) I believe, which will probably become the new hotness in terms of what you have to take piles of to progression raids. I predict though that there will be high-demand rare formula inscriptions and whatnot that make it profitable, much like Blacksmithing made me a bunch of money just selling Primal Nether epics that anyone would only use until they're replaced.

It's a fine balance. If people need to re-Inscribe every time they respec it will either be hideously expensive or cheap enough to be okay. In the latter case Inscribers would be sort of like pot spec alchemists, in that what they make has constant demand but a low profit margin, and in the former case everyone would whine until the cost was nerfed. I think if I was a Scribe I would prefer to just sell people expensive Inscriptions once than throw stuff on the AH every day hoping excessive supply doesn't completely eliminate your potential profit.
_________________
Gladiator Psiven, 70 Tankadin (unretired)
Rival Psivenia, 70 Warriorlol
Psivenne, 60 Bare

Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest