Skip to content
Maintankadin

Mitigation Comparisons – 4 tanks

Sëryph
Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:10 pm
Well I decided to try the opposite approach and build a model since we know exactly how it works heres the links

Bone Shield Test 1.17-1.75

Bone Shield Test 1.76-3.4

I had to do two different models because of the interaction between the CD and weapon swing frequency.

You can reset the model by reopening the file or adjusting the hit%/Charges/Attack Speed


My formula seems to be very accurate for 1.17-1.75 range but for the 1.76-3.4 range it seems instead of

Deathwing
Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:49 pm
Your models are about 1 percentage lower than what I got, which probably verifies them since I expected them to be a bit high. If you don't want to use a separate XLSM with 10 sub sheets, the model I posted would be alot more compact, just subtract 1 from it. The formula would need some editing for the faster speeds where 2 attacks could fall in the CD.

BTW, are you sure the CD is 3.5s? I thought it was proposed, never saw it confirmed. Also, do AE's(spell or physical) and direct damage spells deplete charges?
steadypal
Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:00 am
3-4 days before patch hits live still no sign of 3% DR on templar, GG blizz..
ziggyunderslashone
Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:57 am
Oh ya, it'd be useful, but is anyone expecting balance till 80? which is the issue its required to resolve.
ziggyunderslashone
Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:51 am
I’ve been playing around with both models you guys have been working with here, really cool stuff. However, any way I look at it, I can’t find a way to fit bone shield into the comparison sheet.

See, as much as it attempts to show how a very specific and defined boss encounter would be dealt with, it also, by virtue of not relying on external elements, shows how the white melee of an encounter would be handled in isolation.

Seconds till death is a misnomer, really it should read “full health pools worth of damage” which aren’t the same thing when healing is applied, but is a less visceral term.

This is why AD doesn’t work in terms of the sheet. It relies on knowing the exact point of health, which over the arbitrary period my sheet deals with doesn’t exist. Bone shield is much the same. It relies not only on the exact number of hits over a set and not arbitrary period, but also any external damage taken. Adds, specials, aoe etc.

The only thing currently in the sheet that acts in this way is holy shield, but this unlike bone shield is specifically designed to hold up permanently in a boss fight.

I’m not awfully keen on conceding, but I think I have to admit that bone shield, due to its charges mechanic, and the need to determine external data, can’t be modelled within the confines of the comparison sheet.

Brilliantly, we have Sëryph’s sheet for comparison between the two death knight specs, but I have learnt that unholy is not only competitive, but under certain circumstances, more powerful. I’ll refer to the modeled dk as frost from now on.
ziggyunderslashone
Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:12 am
Rather than working forwards in gear with the a theoretical scale, I've tried working backwards with known available gear.



I suspect in actuality, people will have some 10 man gear before a full set of heroic, but the principle is to see the effect of gear levels.

Bears are bouncing about a lot there. Itemisation is very wierd, whether dps leather has high stamina seems to be more accident than design, and the BoE frost resist set has so much stamina, it'll be standard tanking gear (even outperforming valorous) for some time. Assuming of course threat remains the non issue we're being told it currently is.

There seems to be a dearth of normal tanking drops generally, perhaps this is across all class, its hard to check as much of the beta data isn't linked on any of the resource sites I've been trauling.
Deathwing
Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:41 am
I agree with your thoughts on BS in a spreadsheet. In fact, I'm guessing that's also the reason most DK's favor frost as the best tank spec. As you said, just changes from boss to boss could wildly affect BS uptime, and tanks hate variance.

If you do happen to model BS in your spreadsheet, Seryph's is pretty good. There's been some discussion over at EJ on this topic as well. I've realized my model is a bit convoluted(still), so let me revise it(thanks Banda):

chance to deplete charge = npc's hit rate

5/(hit rate)*(attack speed) = uptime

If one attack is caught in the cooldown:

5/(hit rate)*(attack speed) + 4*(attack speed) = uptime

If 2 attacks are caught in the cooldown:

5/(hit rate)*(attack speed) + 8*(attack speed) = uptime


It's a really simple equation, dumb of me for not picking up on it previously(the cooldown part). As before, that's technically an average, so it's going to be higher than what would really happen, especially as you approach 90%, because you have to discount cases where BS would last over 60s.

I think Seryph said he was going to put this in his sheet.


If i read your graphs right, druids are only in trouble, scaling wise, once past naxx 25 man?