Skip to content
Maintankadin

New WotLK tanking style

kalbear
Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:43 pm
I think the optimal rotation is going to heavily depend on whether crushing blows are removed (almost certainly) and what the new abilities' threat values actually are. Consecration will likely not be the #1 threat skill any more, but it is unclear whether ShoR, HotR or JoR/JoV will be best.

It's also unclear whether you can reasonably afford all these things. 6% of base mana for ShoR, 1745 mana for AS, 1475 mana for consecrate, 6% mana for HotR. 12% of base mana + 1745 is a pretty large chunk every 8 seconds...right now, that would mean taking roughly 20k damage in 8 seconds time to get that mana back. That's doable, but that's just for those abilities; it ignores judgments, seals and any other abilities you might have. I think consecrate may be like thunderclap in that you'll be keeping it up for the debuff some times, but you won't be using it much on single-target mobs.
Lore
Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:46 pm
Well, AS is still a 30 second cooldown, so you wouldn't be using it every 8 seconds. But yeah it's really starting to look like mana conservation is gonna be another thing we have to worry about. Even if Consecration is worth a ton of threat it might be a good idea to leave it out of the rotation most of the time.
_________________
I can keep rhythm with no metronome.
Dorvan
Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:51 pm
Damn. Ok, back to the drawing board. ShR or ShoR works for me, I think I prefer the 2nd.
_________________
Petrus
Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:04 pm
It's so much like Shield Slam... SSoR?
_________________
kalbear
Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:14 pm
So, let's ignore the uncommon case and go to the common one. If you have imp judgmentx2, your cycle can look basically like this:

0.0 HS
1.5 Judge
3.0 HotR
4.5 ShoR
6.0 Consecrate
8.0 HS

This wastes .5 seconds, but otherwise repeats. .5 seconds is also the time for a holy wrath, so you could insert that in there if you wanted to without breaking the cycle. Depends a lot on whether HS/Judge/Consecrate is better threat than HotR/ShoR. If those are better, you'll be looking at a more spriest-like flowchart.
QuantumDelta
Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:17 pm
Quite a lot of new anacronyms coming in WOTLK for us x_x

TbtL
GbTL
SotT
JotJ
HotR (could be HoR)
SoCo(rruption)
HoP
ShoR

To go along with:
Exo
Consec
S(J)otC
S(J)oC
S(J)oR



ShoR isn't SotR I'm afraid:

* Shield of Righteousness: (Level 75, 6 sec cooldown) Slam the target with your shield, causing Holy damage equal to 200% of your block value. This spell causes a high amount of threat.

SSoR would also work if we wanted to be quirky I guess Razz

Back to lore's point:
I think we would probably drop consecration for single target tanking unless we have superfluous mana.
_________________
Dorvan
Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:17 pm
@kalbear: Yeah, you're taking a 25% hit to ShoR and HotR damage there...plus you're not taking advantage of the flexible HS cooldown and you're spamming Cons on a single target. Based on all the mana expenditures we're seeing, I'm betting we'll care at least a little about mana efficiency and Cons is pretty terrible for that. I think Cons being low priority in a single target rotation is a pretty safe assumption atm.
_________________
Targonis
Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:12 pm
I think we need to start looking at available mana and projected mana regeneration via healing when building rotations to make sure we can actually fit it all in...

Jellypop
Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:12 pm
LOLSLAM and LOLCLEAVE

probably more regonizable then ShoR or HoR or whatever you can come up with.

LOLSLAM and LOLCLEAVE, and others will be able to know too.



because, after all, we're STILL the LOL class spec to about 80% of the population out there (atleast, to me.)
_________________