updated my initial post with shield slam info, too bad murmur went down and I haven't been able to get shield of righteousness info, however my average hit was landing for about 1139ish which is pretty consistent with the 1x1.1x1.3=1.43 scaler we're expecting to get.
Shield Slam >>>>>>> Shield of Righteousness in current patch.
Mica
Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:24 pm
Taking this info as a starting point for shield slam:
Shield Slam:
Min Avg Max
Hit 1073 1333 1871
Crit 2227 2677 4020
Block value 802 with full talents
With base shield slam being 794
unmitigated SS dmg = 2617
Average mob DR = 51% after an average amount of sunders?
Is mob armor really that high? Or am I missing something?
Mica
Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:17 am
Even stranger, and a design iteration I absolutely cannot understand, my HotR on Murmur is doing around 1120 average damage compared to 1140 average damage of ShoR.
It just doesn't make sense:
ShoR - shield slam type ability, high single target TPS
HotR - Cleave type ability, mediocre multi target dps that ALSO procs seals for extra mediocre multi target dps... but does the same TPS as ShoR...
It was gonna get nerfed but this is just ridiculous.. looks like we will be even worse after 3.0 and in wotlk then we are on live. If we dont get a huge buff this is it for me after 1.5 years, i cant be bothered listening to blizzard then getting dissapointed. _________________ Darus - protection paladin [Stormscale]
Avvenia - balance druid [Stormscale]
I guess they had to also balance it around the fact that we have a higher threat modifier on damage. 190% vs 145% (ignoring 'baked in salv' effects). I'd guess that both moves will now average out as doing similar threat now. Still seems like overkill a little. _________________
Actually, I have been wondering about that for a while.
In the old days, warrior skills had innate threat, and we had a huge magic threat multiplicator. Both tank classes hit weakly (we came out in front in AOE situations) but this mechanism assured the treat was ok.
Now the new paradigm is to have threat scale with damage, and remove most innate threat boni. This would mean (given they even out tank threat) that the higher your multipliers. the less damage you will make. With the quite insane x2 and more bonus Paladins have, HotR damage sounds about right. If the RF multiplier stays (and other tanks do not get too many innate threat boni) then we can expect to deal the lowest damage while tanking of all tank classes - a privilege enjoyed by warriors until now.
At least it is now crystal clear what to do when we do not tank (*/me oils and polishes his healing gear*).
I saw it coming, it was a too strong threat multiplicator and made BV too important for generating threat. They would have had problems with balancing our threat with the amount of BV that we will have on our Naxx Tier gear. Having (another) crappy and highly situational T-gear is one thing, having to wear it all the time because of aggro issues without is something entirely different.
What i don't agree with is, ok, we got our one reduced to more "tankish" numbers, now, why warriors still can get 10k+ crits in their normal gear? _________________
Proud founder of the 40/21 club
First thing I thought when I looked over the latest changes were that they were incomplete. Like the first half of a large rebalancing effort. If paladin TPS really was as good as I've heard (holding agro without RF oO) then yeah a nerf is completely justified. It shows that they're now putting effort into tweaking numbers and trying to balance classes.
Quite frankly, if this change isn't followed by significant improvements in the areas where other tanks outperform us, then I'll eat my own keyboard (it's ok I have a spare).