Skip to content
Maintankadin

Defensive Stats in WotLK (diminishing returns)

Arcand
Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:42 pm
I was multitasking when I typed that first expression and f-ed it up hard; I just posted my second attempt. Sorry. Embarassed
_________________
Scarlet Crusade - Tanked 11/11 Kara, 2/2 GL, 1/1 ML, 6/6 ZA, 0.5/5 SSC, 1/3 TK, 1/3 MH, 2/4 BT
I'd trade any libram for a green gun of the Champion.
Honorshammer
Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:36 am
1 0.05% 51 2.72%
2 0.11% 52 2.77%
3 0.16% 53 2.82%
4 0.22% 54 2.87%
5 0.27% 55 2.92%
6 0.33% 56 2.97%
7 0.38% 57 3.03%
8 0.44% 58 3.08%
9 0.49% 59 3.13%
10 0.54% 60 3.18%
11 0.60% 61 3.23%
12 0.65% 62 3.28%
13 0.71% 63 3.33%
14 0.76% 64 3.38%
15 0.81% 65 3.44%
16 0.87% 66 3.49%
17 0.92% 67 3.54%
18 0.97% 68 3.59%
19 1.03% 69 3.64%
20 1.08% 70 3.69%
21 1.14% 71 3.74%
22 1.19% 72 3.79%
23 1.24% 73 3.84%
24 1.30% 74 3.89%
25 1.35% 75 3.94%
26 1.40% 76 3.99%
27 1.46% 77 4.04%
28 1.51% 78 4.10%
29 1.56% 79 4.15%
30 1.61% 80 4.20%
31 1.67% 81 4.25%
32 1.72% 82 4.30%
33 1.77% 83 4.35%
34 1.83% 84 4.40%
35 1.88% 85 4.45%
36 1.93% 86 4.50%
37 1.98% 87 4.55%
38 2.04% 88 4.60%
39 2.09% 89 4.65%
40 2.14% 90 4.70%
41 2.19% 91 4.75%
42 2.25% 92 4.80%
43 2.30% 93 4.85%
44 2.35% 94 4.90%
45 2.40% 95 4.94%
46 2.46% 96 4.99%
47 2.51% 97 5.04%
48 2.56% 98 5.09%
49 2.61% 99 5.14%
50 2.66% 100 5.19%
_________________

http://honorscode.blogspot.com/
Modal
Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:42 am
http://elitistjerks.com/f31/t29453-combat_ratings_level_80_a/

Looks like the author of rating buster has finally noticed this and posted about it in his Elitist Jerks thread. I've posted some of our dodge data and a link back here over there. Hopefully that will finally generate enough interest in this issue to nail down some numbers and maybe get some momentum to call for blue confirmation.
_________________
Satrina
Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:28 am
I was noticing this myself while messing around. Good to see others are talking about it. I've been compiling some numbers, but have a lot of gear combinations to go through in my bank. Mostly my numbers look like yours so far.

Modal, your comment on EJ:
Modal
Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:44 am
Yeah, the paper doll still has expected .04 per skill for dodge/parry. But that's wrong, so no reason to believe it for miss chance either. Then again, I wouldn't be at all surprised if only dodge/parry are changed.
_________________
Modal
Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:41 am
I've done some more tests on agility, using less rounded numbers. I now find that agility does give slightly diminishing returns to dodge rating. However, the effect is much less pronounced than it is for dodge rating. (Numbers are in the EJ thread linked a few posts up, I'll just summarize here.)

For example, my level 70 shaman gets 0.040485382080075 dodge % per point of agility with only +4 agility from gear. With 369 agility from gear, he gets 0.040444319810325 per point.

If my shaman got the same amount of dodge per agility at 369 agility as at 4 agility, he would gain only about .015% extra dodge. That's barely noticeable.
_________________
Arcand
Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:29 pm
Here's another table of predictions about dodge:
Arcand
Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:54 am
Oh, goodie. Razz
_________________
Scarlet Crusade - Tanked 11/11 Kara, 2/2 GL, 1/1 ML, 6/6 ZA, 0.5/5 SSC, 1/3 TK, 1/3 MH, 2/4 BT
I'd trade any libram for a green gun of the Champion.
WATERBOYsh
Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:44 pm
I noticed on the tooltips when you hover over your def/dodge/parry/block and it tells you how much rating you have and how much % it adds, there is a disclaimer that says "(before diminshing returns)". Does this mean that there is no definitive way to determine what our avoidance is, but that it would need to be tested through a long series of swings to get the approximate percentages? I don't know much about theorycrafting though... I just listen to what y'all say Smile


disclaimer: I'm on the ptr, but not in beta
_________________
Selinaria
Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:17 pm
Just want to point out that the formula must be kinda wrong at the moment on beta (possibly PTR as well).

I just made myself Figurine - Monarch Crab and on using the 300 dodge rating use effect, gained exactly .11% avoidance.

I'm assuming something with the formula server side is buggy or it's a display error.