Cogglamp wrote:Can I ask a utility question? Let's just say I'm not a brain dead ret (which is debatable) and I see some upcoming spell that the tank needs to mitigate so I decide to pop Hand of Sacrifice on him before it happens. Let's also say that I'm even more cognizant that I should pop Divine Protection on myself to lessen the blow to myself.
Does that 20% damage reduction effectively increase the amount that can be transferred since Hand of Sacrifice is limited to 100% of my health? Or does it bypass any mitigation that the pally might have? Either way, I'd assume it's a good thing to use DP when using HoS.
Also, outside of a Corrupted Tentacle's impale, is there ever a time where I should use Divine Shield where a 50% reduction in dps is worth it? I'm sure there are but that was the only mechanic I could think of in DS.
Absolutely you should macro DP and HoS together. Also, DP should be glyphed in every fight in DS except Morchok. The damage reduction does not reduce the effectiveness of the HoS in any way... What it does do, however, is mitigate the damage you recieve from the HoS NO MATTER WHAT THE ORIGINAL SOURCE OF THE DAMAGE. The caps part was a big eye-opener for me back in T11, and has proved invaluable in content since. Say my warrior tank eats an Impale (physical damage) and I HoS him and eat 200k damage (purely pulled-out-of-my-ass numbers). He takes 200k less physical damage (absorbed by me and transfered via the HoS) and lives. I take 120k magic damage (200k minus 40% from my GLYPHED DP) from the HoS and live.
Finally, I use bubble in a bunch of situations (all examples are 25 heroic).
Morchock: 2nd soaker dies on my side. I bubble or HoP myself and soak to take 0 damage on stomp. 20% from unglyphed DP would kill me, but 0 damage from bubble or stomp.
Zon'ozz: Black phase, running out to tentacles with a debuff ticking. I bubble it off. DP might save me, but that's a lot of damage while healers are moving.
Yor'shaj: 4 stacks of deep corruption and low on health OR lots of damage going around and standing in Spirit Link totem, which helps the raid.
Hagara: I fail at ice walls. Bubble saves me.
Ultraxion: On 25H (at least before 15%, not sure about now), bubble soaks HoT, while DP means dead ret without an external (Ana and I actually alternate bubbling and HoSing the other).
Blackhorn: I can't get out of a shockwave in time, or the spirit link trick again.
Spine: Bubble/cancel breaks a firey grip, critical during tendon burns (especially the cancel when you don't want the 50% damage done reduction).
Madness: I don't run away from the Elementium Bolt (bubble doesn't soak impales on heroic). Instead I bubble and HoS the tank. This way I can keep dpsing the corruption and swap instantly to the bolt. Our rogues also cloak here to do the same thing.
Hope it helps
