Kelaan wrote:I used Taugrim's enchant advice (enchant for damage and resilience, Stamina is nigh-worthless), and reforged for hit + expertise cap. As I mentioned in the other thread (where I'm very grateful to be able to bounce ideas and questions off of you), I'm thinking that glyphing SoT for the expertise will let me reforge back to crit, which'll be nice.
This.
I had to regem/enchant/reforge entirely differently due to the setup I'm playing. I had to max my survivability in every way I could. Stamina in my setup is VERY important. If the socket was Yellow it was Resil/Stam, Blue was also Resil/Stam, and Reds I tested with Str/Stam and Exp/Stam and Str/Resil but found there to be no clear winner. A lot of our losses were due to holy power generation, so I went to maximize Expertise via reforging after Hit cap. This gave me well over 30 Expertise without SoT glyph (I use insight 95% of the time anyway). The reason for this was unlucky parries/dodges on things like DK's or Rogues were causing problems. 2 of these in a row and it'd set my healing back too far for me to be able to compensate.
The reason for Stamina was actually pretty clear after several games. When you're up against a complete burst oriented team
, you don't have anything but your resil, stam, and your self healing to stop them from killing you. This means that if they chain CC's on you, at least you have a buffer. After regemming/enchanting my gear for ret I noticed in my prot setup I lost over 10k hp. Sure I gained some Str and some Crit, but those don't help me survive longer against a Frost Mage/Spriest combo. Again this is entirely due to the team setup I do 2's with, usually the enemy will try for my DK first and realize he's blood then they'll switch to me since I'm easier to kill under certain circumstances. I have 2 abilities that scale with my max health in 2's, the DK has glyphed for Rune Tap which gives me a 5% health heal. 149k (unbuffed) gives me roughly 7.5k heal, sure doesn't sound like much but 7.5k might save your ass when you're getting stomped by 2 casters that you can't hit for holy power.