Skip to content
Maintankadin

Help Frost DK

Devistasion
Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:17 am

Help Frost DK

hey guys I have a frost dk that I have been working on for a little while and I want to know is dual wielding as frost still viable in 4.0.6? I have 2 346 one handers vs a 333 2 hander. I have respeced to to get the dual wielding talants but I would like to see if I have the optimal spec, so if you have any links pls share. Thanks in advance for the input.
Skye1013
Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:12 am

Re: Help Frost DK

Devistasion wrote:hey guys I have a frost dk that I have been working on for a little while and I want to know is dual wielding as frost still viable in 4.0.6? I have 2 346 one handers vs a 333 2 hander. I have respeced to to get the dual wielding talants but I would like to see if I have the optimal spec, so if you have any links pls share. Thanks in advance for the input.

If you want to check my armory [Clopin - Winterhoof (US)] I had an optimal spec. Though some of the points are discretionary points. I can't remember exactly how I spec'd, but I think I had points in Unholy rather than blood, but you can go either way (Bladed Armor and Butchery I think for first tier blood, then I think a lot of people pick up Imp. Blood Tap, and the other points are your choice.) I haven't seen anything as far as the numbers go, but I know 2h was buffed in 4.0.6. I can't imagine that DW would have fallen too far behind (if at all.) Though with 2x 346 1h weaps, if they're 2.6 speed weapons, I'd definitely go DW over 2h (at least until you can upgrade the 2h.)
bldavis
Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:26 am

Re: Help Frost DK

iirc, DW is slightly ahead of 2hd frost

ive read it comes down to the speed you are able to use procs, as you will get more attacks and more procs with dw vs 2hd
kennywu54
Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:59 am

Re: Help Frost DK

According to EJ's simcrafts, 2H Unholy is ~2% dmg ahead of DW Frost. DW Frost is slightly ahead of 2H frost. Stat priorities are totally different between DW Frost and 2H Frost. If you want to maximize your potential dmg output; for DW Frost mastery>crit>haste and for 2H Frost haste>mastery>crit. For an average raid, DW Frost is viable for a DPS slot.

That being said, I recently reads some 4.1 patch notes concerning the DK Frost spec. IIRC, Frost specs will no longer have blood runes. Instead the blood runes will always be death runes. In essence, a Frost DK will be able to cast more Obliterates instead of a BSx2 (Blood Strike is close to useless for Frost) and waiting for death runes. This buff will definitely bring Frost's spec closer to Unholy's spec in terms of dmg output.
Skye1013
Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:48 am

Re: Help Frost DK

kennywu54 wrote:According to EJ's simcrafts, 2H Unholy is ~2% dmg ahead of DW Frost. DW Frost is slightly ahead of 2H frost.

Just curious if that was updated for 4.0.6. And I can't wait to get the passive death runes. It'll make me not "need" Imp. Blood tap (unless I just want to refresh the rune for Pillars of Frost or something.) I've been debating picking up the Strangulate CD reduction, and this might be a good time to switch that up.
kennywu54
Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Help Frost DK

The 'death rune' change is not live atm. The improved blood tap and reduced CD on strangulate are primarily PvP talents and offer no dps increase for PvE. If you want to check out my spec, Pestílence on Runetotem. (alt+1+6+1 for the í) I have a 2H PvP frost spec and a PvE DW frost spec.