Skip to content
Maintankadin

5.0.4 Ret

Fenrìr
Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:39 am

5.0.4 Ret

So what are we looking at in terms of priority for abilities?

Inq > CS > HoW > Judge > Exo > WoG (if glyphed)

I'm seeing higher dps numbers using the Harsh Words glyph than I am just using TV...probably about 7-10k more damage.
Levantine
Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:36 am

Re: 5.0.4 Ret

Inq > TV5 > HoW > Exo > CS > Judge > TV3

That was the priority last time I checked. Exo does a fuckload of damage and everything that doesn't spend HP generates it.
Mannstein
Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:52 am

Re: 5.0.4 Ret

Inq > TV5 > HoW > Exo > CS > Judge > TV3

Yup, TV is better that Harsh Words, remember that the TV has the Mastery damage (can't remember the name) :D
I'm full BIS but i think thats true even for less equiped.

I'm doing slightly more damage, but rogues\mages and everything else is dooing a butload more damage.
Worldie
Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:24 am

Re: 5.0.4 Ret

What the 2 posters above say is correct.

I'm still unsure about what level 75 talent is better. Most sites advice Sanctified Wrath, but some other instead say Holy Avenger or even Divine Purpose.
Wtb a ret-theck.
Proudfoot
Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: 5.0.4 Ret

Worldie wrote:I'm still unsure about what level 75 talent is better. Most sites advice Sanctified Wrath, but some other instead say Holy Avenger or even Divine Purpose.
Wtb a ret-theck.


I would prefer if Divine Purpose were the "sustained" damage talent, Holy Avenger was the "burst" one, and maybe Sanctified Wrath were preferable for PVP. That way you could swap out on a per fight basis.
Treck
Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:41 am

Re: 5.0.4 Ret

Sanctified Wrath is best for ret, with Divine purpose second.
A 30sec AW is pretty sick during bloodlust, holy avenger just seems to come out pretty bad for ret currently.
Personally I like Divine Purpose, but thats due to soloing as well, since WoG proccing like mad.
rodos
Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:55 pm

Re: 5.0.4 Ret

Treck wrote:Sanctified Wrath is best for ret, with Divine purpose second.
A 30sec AW is pretty sick during bloodlust, holy avenger just seems to come out pretty bad for ret currently.
Personally I like Divine Purpose, but thats due to soloing as well, since WoG proccing like mad.

Divine Purpose is great for solo play. Between using procs for WoG and instant FoLs ret is pretty indestructible. In a raid dps situation, I found that it complicates the rotation somewhat. It might be a good boost if you can handle it well, but I don't think I can.

Holy Avenger is situationally useful if heavy AoE burst is required (e.g. Yor red/yellow/black, bloods on Madness), since it allows you to have a full AoE rotation of HotR->DS. Swapping talents is so easy now, and even cheaper than swapping glyphs pre-5.0, that it's probably worth tuning them to the encounter.
Beeswax
Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:28 am

Re: 5.0.4 Ret

hello,

I've never really played RET. Always been prot 100% of the time. I figured I'd level MoP as ret, so I swapped over and made weakauras for all the relevant spells. BUT...i have a deadspot in my rotation. Can someone tell me if I missed something. Here is how i start a fight.

Exo, J, CS, WAIT, J, CS, INQ(3), Wait, J, CS, Exo, wait, J, CS, TV(5), wait ...


What am I missing that there is a wait in the rotation?
Worldie
Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:32 am

Re: 5.0.4 Ret

Deadspots are normal and happen in ret rotation, nothing weird in it. However if you get a dead spot in your rotation and you have 3 HP you should use TV.
econ21
Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: 5.0.4 Ret

Beeswax wrote:I figured I'd level MoP as ret, ...


Ditto. Weakauras is ok, but you might want to check out CLCRet, it does it all for you (ok you have to give a priority order). Ret is more "gap-y" than prot, though.

PS: I may be revealing my ignorance here, but in your rotation, why not cast INQ(3) in place of your first WAIT?
Passionario
Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:08 am

Re: 5.0.4 Ret

Proudfoot wrote:I would prefer if Divine Purpose were the "sustained" damage talent, Holy Avenger was the "burst" one, and maybe Sanctified Wrath were preferable for PVP. That way you could swap out on a per fight basis.

Sanctified Wrath is a risky choice for PvP. Nobody's going to spellsteal your Divine Purpose procs, but 30-second wings are a *very* juicy target.
Cogglamp
Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:57 am

Re: 5.0.4 Ret

I'm pretty sure you can't steal wings anymore.

Now, I'm generally wrong on all my comments so take that with a large dose of salt.
Skye1013
Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:07 pm

Re: 5.0.4 Ret

Cogglamp wrote:I'm pretty sure you can't steal wings anymore.

Now, I'm generally wrong on all my comments so take that with a large dose of salt.

I haven't checked since 5.0, but it was still possible before then.
Mannstein
Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:13 am

Re: 5.0.4 Ret

Beeswax wrote:hello,

I've never really played RET. Always been prot 100% of the time. I figured I'd level MoP as ret, so I swapped over and made weakauras for all the relevant spells. BUT...i have a deadspot in my rotation. Can someone tell me if I missed something. Here is how i start a fight.

Exo, J, CS, WAIT, J, CS, INQ(3), Wait, J, CS, Exo, wait, J, CS, TV(5), wait ...


What am I missing that there is a wait in the rotation?

Sorry for dropping late, but i have found it. What do i win?

Basically you are J>CS... that way you are delaying and not using a buttload of CS.
CS > J => ALLWAYS...

Cheers and Good Retring...
beornus
Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:48 pm

Re: 5.0.4 Ret

Any value in expertise beyond soft cap for Ret or should I reforge it into haste? Am around 8.9 right now after a few upgrades.
Levantine
Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:04 am

Re: 5.0.4 Ret

7.5 is the hard cap for physical dps. If you're standing in a position where you are getting parried you have much much bigger things to worry about than balancing stats, like being horrible at WoW.
theothersteve7
Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:53 am

Re: 5.0.4 Ret

I heard HA is the best DPS choice on EJ, and AFAIK their Ret stuff is decent. It certainly provides insane burst when paired with wings and GAnK.

"Did that boomkin just... explode?"
Levantine
Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:33 pm

Re: 5.0.4 Ret

Sim it. It's gear dependent until you get the 4pc bonus where SW will proceed to blow everything out of the water. In my gear SW>=HA>>DP, for example.
Fenrìr
Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: 5.0.4 Ret

Out if curiosity, as I await our next pull on Elegon, does anyone have any uptodate WeakAura ret strings?