yappo wrote:Depends on what is trying to smash your face in. For running heroics (and Baradin Hold counts as a weekly, very easy, hc), go #1 all the way.
I'm reading conflicting experiences concerning raid-content. Less so from those running hard-modes where stuff REALLY want to smash you head in (give me my stamina before that boss chews my face off again). I'm getting a mild impression that raid-content on farm (even though the guild may still be progressing further into the instance) have seen tanks geared to the extent that they, once again, move away from stamina to CTC. I'm unclear if this kind of gearing is used for progression content though.
Keep in mind, though, that those tanks are NOT walking around in average ilevel 346 gear any longer.
Yappo,
Thanks for your response. I came up when ICC was already on farm, and tank gearing, gemming, and enchanting could be summarized as, "Stack stam, all the armor you can find, and more stam." All conversations concerning the validity of using avoidance sets in raid content in 3.3 were quickly shot down. One optimal strategy was codified, and in that certainty I rested peacefully, being confident that what I did was optimal.
I'm a little less certain these days. I've followed Digren's Gear Guide, and this, his Item Enhancement Guide, for 4.0.x , much as I did during 3.3.x, however debated variants are much more common, and all things seem less certain. I definitely fall into the category of the guy who's face is going to be getting smashed in by heroic 5-man bosses 95% of the time, with the occasional PuG raid boss as I happen across a group.
That being said, getting away from Digren's "balanced" (mastery/stam, parry/stam) strategy towards a more mastery-centric strategy kind of scares me, and I may go do some digging around to see what the maths say about x stamina being a good trade off for y mastery when z of your damage intake is physical mitigable damage. Then I'll see how much stam I would lose and mastery I would gain if I started gemming mastery/stam, mastery, and parry/mastery in blue, yellow, and red respectively, and if it is indeed a mathematically proper trade off.
I will definitely never be a high end raid tank (my 1GB freaking integrated graphics card MacBook sees to that), but I aim to be the very best tank I can be in any group I step into.
Thanks again.