Skip to content
Maintankadin

2.3 changes and Pally itemization

Jeslena
Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:58 pm
I'd love for them to make protection paladin gear that was more like the priest version of the Atiesh staff, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. For those that are unfamiliar with the priest version of Atiesh, it increases healing by 300 and damage by 120. The mage and warlock version increase damage and healing by 150. Unfortunately we need those itemization points on tanking gear to be used for mitigation, avoidance and stamina in order to keep up with other tanking classes. Unless they start tacking +healing bonuses on to our gear without eating up itemization points, I rather just carry around 2 sets of gear.
_________________
Jarion
Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:09 am
Interesting. Didn't realise that +dmg&healing were not considered seperate entities when on the same item.

Noted, and thanks! Very Happy
Lev
Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:33 am
Will the 1/3 be just spelldmg or holyspelldmg for us? Holy would be pretty nice... but i doubt it.
_________________

Paladins do it with... Protection!
Mavrix
Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:05 am

yeah

Having the option for a +holy damage enchant or having a tanking weapon with straight +holy damage instead of damage/healing would really be nice.
After all, weapons can be swapped out while in combat, so no loss in utility for us at all.

I'm not sure it would really end up being in our best interest, with the problems we face fighting to even be able to tank much less main tank, for our gear to look more "healing" oriented. Sure it would provide more utility when we are acting as offtank. However, we would definitely be forced even more firmly into the "offtank only" role, since we could heal better after our add was dead or whatnot. That being said, the "healing aggro" method on a few fights like morogrim would be easier (but just emphasizes the "offtank only" conundrum).

Right now, I think many of us work hard at trying to be useful to our raid groups and that usually means offtanking and doing whatever utility thing we can to help the raid. Whatever it takes, we do it. Should we have to do that? I don't think we should. I suspect many if not most people who post here would really like for the paladin class to be put on equal footing for maintanking and suspect also many if not most (myself included) are bitter that the deck is stacked against us. The fact that fixes are not only possible, but feasible without being gamebreaking remains painful as long as those fixes don't occur. It's not like suddenly prot pallies would put warriors out of a job, since we are the minority spec of paladin and (iirc) still the minority spec for all tanks.

All that being said, changing the tier tanking sets to pure +holy damage would be nice for threat and damage output when tanking, but would remove some utility when not tanking. As long as we are forced to be (perhaps) the "premier offtank class, not a main tank class - working as intended", we really can't afford to only have +holy. If they fix the class so that we have a level of MT equality or so that our OT role becomes more dps rather than healing oriented, then +holy only on our gear would be fine.

And by the way, our status as "premier offtank" is about to take a hit when DPS warriors get that threat buff in 2.3
_________________
Mavrix
BE Tankadin
Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dalaran&n=Mavrix
halabar
Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:34 am
I know I'm missing something along the way here.. but, I don't see how the change will effect tanks that much. Where I do see changes being made is in pally OT specs, where if you get the right pieces of gear, you might be able to have a smaller gear set, and be able to dps more as a primary healer. Might change the gear set for the "Bealor special" folks like myself.

Ok, go ahead and set me straight... Wink
Menardi
Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:41 am
This isn't going to change much as far as real tanking is concerned. For fights like Karathress where you might tank something and then swap to healing+JoW it might be nice though.

It does, however, make the Bastion of Light an even sexier choice for a tank shield. Grats Lore! Razz
_________________
Ciandin
Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:55 am
Is this game mechanic now live? I thought it would be coming out with the next patch.
reyia
Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:58 am
Nope, the mechanic isn't live till 2.3
_________________