Skip to content
Maintankadin

Devilshark Cape alternative

Windra
Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:25 pm
I'm personally sticking with Protection to farm the Steamvaults.

With a Karazhan/5-man instance level group, I was consistently able to kill Kalithresh in half an hour. I have no doubt that others can do it faster.

But yeh... still no cape. Confused
_________________
70 Human Paladin, Windrunner
Armory Profile: Linky linky
Pizbit
Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:42 pm
Yeah, taking it casually the instance in sub 45 minutes in PuGs without trying, sure I could do it a fair bit faster with a solid group and less people going AFK etc. Smile
_________________
Ubung
Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:50 am
50 runs and ive only ever seen it once. Party leader decided to put it on master looter and then gave it to a mage. Stupidest drop in the entire game.

But then I did get the righteous shoulders on my first run through Bot so I spose its fair.

No alternatives to the devilshark. Bite the bullet and repeatedly do the place till it drops. Dont bring along anyone who might roll for it.

I still dont have it and now ive had to go holy till my new guild gets setup so i wont get it for a while :S

Good luck m8 Cool
_________________

*The light is something you wield not something you switch on!*
Beatnix
Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:31 am
I replaced the Devilsshark Cloak with the craftable Cloak of Eternity after I reached uncrushability.
You lose 0,83% combined avoidance while gaining 14 stamina.

That's a gain-rate of 16 stamina per % comb. avoidance which is quite good imho.
A pity about the block value though...

When upgrading gear I usually calculate the (gain stamina) / (lose combined avoidance %) ratio -- and sometimes the (gain spell damage) / (lose combined avoidance %) ratio -- for the new items to see if they're worth the change.
When upgrading to items that favour avoidance though, like the Faceguard of Determination looking at the reciproke ratio (gain combined avoidance %) / (lose stamina) makes more sense off course. After upgrading with such an item I try to fill the stamina gap with other items (good gain stamina / lose avoidance ratio again) aiming for just above 102.4% comb. avoidance with maximum stamina.

This sounds a bit complicated but is a very obvious approach if you just hack the data into one big spreadsheet.
All ratios are referred to your actually worn gear.

While it's quite interesting to see these ratios you still have to bear in mind if you prefer avoidance to block rating etc.
This approach to optimizing gear upgrades is probably not new, please excuse me if it can be found anywhere else in this forum.
_________________
Regards, Thorsten
aka Beatnix
Tankadin 0-51-10
Perenolde - Germany

Ubung
Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:05 am
I have the cloak of eternity as well. Its a great cloak but the devilshark is way better simply because it allows you to sub out other items for stamina. Recently I swapped the Adamantite Figurine for the Gnomish Poultryizer and put +12 stamina gems in all my gear. This put me just above uncrushable with 497 defense. If I could get the Devilshark I would lose 14 stamina from the eternity cloak. This would be made up by switching out andormu's tear for a high stamina ring.

An item isnt just better because of the increase in stats. Its what it allows you to switch out in the rest of your gear. Thats what makes Devilshark so special cus its masses of mitigation on a slot that doesnt offer much stamina.
_________________

*The light is something you wield not something you switch on!*
ShaneFalco
Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:27 am
Devilshark never drops for me, either. Evil or Very Mad

On a side note, this is Blizzard's RNG function. Devilshark drops when a 5 is rolled.


_________________
Shanefalco - 70 Human Paladin - Dragonmaw US
Skyforger
Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:10 pm
http://thottbot.com/i27550 seems quite similar, although dodge is of course better than BR..
This kind of reminds me of my arcatraz runs for the ring.. the only time it dropped, i got outrolled by a feral druid :s
Demiblade
Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:25 pm
Ironscale War Cloak contributes more towards uncrushable with same block value and more stm if you wish to use 2 non-avoidance trinket, and desperate for 102.4%. To me, this seems like a better choice for AoE tanking. I WANT to block for threat instead of dodge (and get mana starved) when I'm AoE tanking. I won't be AoEing something that can kill me if I don't dodge.

If you are tanking a 25man raid boss, and actually need to worry about dodge to stay alive, this 2 gives more stamina and armor to stay alive from a hard hitting boss. Gilded Thorium Cloak or Phoenix-Wing Cloak seems like a better choice when you are going to get healed anyways whether you dodge or not. Plus, more defense gives you better uncrittability for resist gear fights like hydross. More hp doesn't hurt to buffer magic damage either.

I have those enchanted with +12 agility (for aoe), and +120 armor (for raid boss tanking). I never need to use Devilshark.

We can understand why warriors love Devilshark because it's THE raid tanking cloak for them that gives dodge AND threat from block value for DPS race bosses. I use Drape of the Righteous when I'm really desperate for threat.

Be it AoE tanking, raid bosses, or high threat output, there are comparable (if not better) choices. Devilshark is a bit overrated for us who don't benefit threat from block value and doesn't need to rely on dodge to avoid crushes after 2 charges of shield block run out.
_________________
stormknight
Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:50 am
Im using Gilded Thorium Cloak atm. Im uncrushable without devilshark cape anyway so more armor , +more sta = more useful for me.
_________________
Io.Draco
Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:52 pm
Just because you are uncruhsable doesn;t mean that dodge isn't worth while

Belive me that 1% dodge is alot more then any more or stamina glided thorium cloack can give ya

Don;t forget block value also !
Teah
Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:23 pm
I got it bout halfway through exalted.. but if it makes you feel better I have never gotten the arc ring.

I've gotten all the gear from Kara and 2 drops from The Eye and no Arcatraz ring? Check!

Gave up on it after being exalted for a month and still running it.
_________________
Zaffira
Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:56 pm
Ironscale War Cloak is not a bad alternative. I have 104% avoidance with Devilshark--103.8 using Ironscale, and that's with +12 agility enchant to Devilshark and only the armor enchant to Ironscale. I'm sure with the agility/dodge enchant to Ironscale the total avoidance is actually *more* with Ironscale.

Only stats difference are (all other gear being equal)

Devilshark
+20 defense
+18 dodge

vs.

Ironscale
+19 Shield Block Rating (+2.09%)

Just FYI, there is an alternative out there.
_________________