I wasn't a beta tester so I'll let other proof-read the lists.
Looks like a great solid guide.
Thanks for the work.
Eredor
Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:52 pm

Abuna wrote:OK.. think I found it myself.. on Tankspot, duh! Mining is gonna give 120 Stam at 525, so prob not worth the time and expense to change.. already have 2 other toons with JC, so access to gems not a big issue.
Vexryn wrote:Abuna wrote:OK.. think I found it myself.. on Tankspot, duh! Mining is gonna give 120 Stam at 525, so prob not worth the time and expense to change.. already have 2 other toons with JC, so access to gems not a big issue.
Indeed, I don't see any significant min/maxxing reason to change from Mining to JC for tank purposes, assuming you're happy with a reasonable chunk of stamina.
Mining will provide +120 stamina, and 3 Solid Chimera's Eyes will provide +101 Stamina each, upgrading Solid Ocean Sapphires that would have been +60 Stamina each; the net result is 3 x +41 stamina = +123 Stamina from Jewelcrafting.
I'll grant the JCs have a little more flexibility in gemming choices at least, and the JC trinket is a useful starter option. But I don't think that is an "overwhelming" reason to change to Jewelcrafting, but merely a 'decent' one.
That aside, I think I'm going to try to put a Profession summary list somewhere in the guide as well, as I'm seeing these questions come up a lot. Thanks for the "suggestion".
/salute
balloonknot wrote:
If the wraith formula holds the difference will increase when epic gems enter, of course this is a gamble, we don't really know but throughout WoW, production professions have an edge over gathering and min-maxing means, well, maxing, so i would continue to assume that this is true.
Additionally on the flexibility. i will venture a guess (and just a guess) that it may be more worthwhile to choose your gemming. I mean the health difference between a tank and a dps/healter is not that large compared to wraith on beta which would(perhaps) imply that avoidance/mitigation should be much more important.
econ21 wrote:This is an awesome gear list, thanks!
Have you looked at the PVP gear? My understanding is that Arena/Rated BGs will give access to epic weapons and shields without a personal rating. If so, we may be going back to the BC era world where the easiest path to getting an epic weapon is PVP.
Certainly the PVP weapons and shields you can get pre-Cata are now competitive with almost all PvE gear. With weapons in particular, a slow high i-level dps weapon is very attractive to tankadins and PvP ones usually don't waste much on resilience. (With shields, the case is weaker but still strong.)
balloonknot wrote:I think you'd be giving up a lot to use most of the pvp gear. Since uncritable is no longer an issue the resilience is a complete waste, thats a lot of wasted stats on the pvp gear.
There may be certain encounters (magic heavy) or particular slots (weapons?) it may make sense for but i think i would have to be looked at very much on a case my case basis.
Kandoril wrote:Vexryn, just want to say thank you ever so much for all your hard work. This list is a great place for any tank worth his/her salt to start. You've done a wonderful job of explaining everything we need to know to get a 'jumpstart' in the upcoming expansion.
Having been a tank for 4yrs now (Kandoril, realm of Cairne, Guild: Midnight Sun) I am quite impressed with all you've done here.In fact, this posting is all I am going to study for the next few weeks. It's quite comprehensive. Again, I salute you and hardily handshake your hand for a job well done. Thank you!
Questions, comments, or concerns relating to WoW tanking or this post, email me here: cinciknight@gmail.com![]()
kakashi wrote:Had to login and say thanks so much for your hard work with this. It's going to be a great help.
vexryn wrote:Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard (Tier 11) - Essence of the Forlorn token - Dodge/Hit
kakashi wrote:Had to login and say thanks so much for your hard work with this. It's going to be a great help.
Exogen wrote:Love this List, was exactley what I was looking for, Many thanks to you dude, and just a question below.vexryn wrote:Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard (Tier 11) - Essence of the Forlorn token - Dodge/Hit
I believe this to be incorrect. Essence of the Forlorn is used to purchase Heroic Upgrade pieces. The tokons to upgrade class pieces arnt droping from bosses after looking at WowHead.
So you would need to purchase Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard with JP and then to upgrade you need to get a Essence of the Forlorn From Lady Sinestra (Speculation) and with the Essence of the Forlorn purchase a Crown of the Forlorn Conqueror and then you can upgrade your tier piece to Heroic version.
Digren wrote:Exogen wrote:Love this List, was exactley what I was looking for, Many thanks to you dude, and just a question below.vexryn wrote:Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard (Tier 11) - Essence of the Forlorn token - Dodge/Hit
I believe this to be incorrect. Essence of the Forlorn is used to purchase Heroic Upgrade pieces. The tokons to upgrade class pieces arnt droping from bosses after looking at WowHead.
So you would need to purchase Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard with JP and then to upgrade you need to get a Essence of the Forlorn From Lady Sinestra (Speculation) and with the Essence of the Forlorn purchase a Crown of the Forlorn Conqueror and then you can upgrade your tier piece to Heroic version.
This isn't correct. You need a [Helm of the Forlorn Conqueror] token to purchase a Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard (T11). The Valor Point (not Justice Point) vendor only sells the chest, hands, and legs for VP. I checked this myself when writing my gear guide last weekend.
After that you are correct. To upgrade from T11 to T11.5, you then use an Essence of the Forlorn, likely from a selection of T11 raid bosses, to purchase a Crown of the Forlorn Conqueror, and then use that along with your existing Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard to buy a Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard.
Digren wrote:This isn't correct. You need a [Helm of the Forlorn Conqueror] token to purchase a Reinforced Sapphirium Faceguard (T11). The Valor Point (not Justice Point) vendor only sells the chest, hands, and legs for VP. I checked this myself when writing my gear guide last weekend.