Skip to content
Maintankadin

Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Cake
Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:31 am
I've been wanting to ask my guild leader about being able to main tank Karazhan. I'm just not sure if I can handle and don't want to look like a fool if I get him to let me and I can't.

That is where you guys come in. Here is my armory: http://armorylite.com/us/Smolderthorn/Gâteau. Am I ready?

Edit: Copy and paste the link into your address bar. It seems like a few letters aren't part of the hyperlink.
_________________
Gâteau-Smolderthorn-70 Protection Paladin
Cake
Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:11 pm
I'll give those a try, thanks for the tips. Very Happy
_________________
Gâteau-Smolderthorn-70 Protection Paladin
Monergist
Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:32 pm
I'll be dinging 69 tonight and hopefully 70 in a few short days. What kind of gear upgrade do you suggest in order for me to be ready to offtank Karazhan?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Coilfang&n=Monergist

Thanks,

Monergist
_________________
I'm somebody now! Millions of people look at this every day! This is the kind of spontaneous publicity, you're name in print, that makes people. I'm in print! Things are going to start happening to me now.
Monergist
Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:44 pm
Perfect. Thanks!
_________________
I'm somebody now! Millions of people look at this every day! This is the kind of spontaneous publicity, you're name in print, that makes people. I'm in print! Things are going to start happening to me now.
Kikaroo
Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:41 pm
Hello, new to these forums but not exactly new to "pally tanking". However, I switched over to my mage shortly before BC came out and just recently hit 70 on my paladin so I'm looking for some advice. I don't plan on tanking raids - just 5 mans/heroics. Maybe someday a 10 man but not for awhile. Most of the guides I've seen have been for gearing up to tank raids, so I'm hoping for some suggestions on good 5-man gear. I have been looking at this thread but it doesn't seem to be entirely up to date.

Here's my armory (it should have a Crystalforged Sword and Sunward Crest but appears to be slow in updating): http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shadowsong&n=Luriel

As a note to plans in progress - I'm currently bidding on the Oathkeeper's plan, so haven't gemmed my helm yet just in case I win. If I don't get the plan, I'm going to be putting a couple of Solid Stars and maybe a Regal Nightseye. I also have access to the Gladiator's glyph to add to whichever (but not Defender's just yet; going to start working on CoT soon for that and the legs).

Also trying to catch my friend online to do the 15 Defense to Chest, 12 Defense to Bracers (or 12 STA if I can get Lightwarden's Girlde before then), and 18 STA for my new shield (have the mats all good to go). Going to buy a 10 STA kit for my gloves, and get another Solid Star for them.

So. Questions! Is the Sunward Crest ideal for 5 man/heroic tanking at this time? I have both the Netherwing Defender and Wayward Footman's as well.

What are the thoughts on the Boots of the Protector? Are they worth seeking out the plans?

And finally, besides getting the gems/enchants done and working on my CoT rep - any advice for improving my gear for 5 mans/heroics? Besides CoT, I'm not sure where I should start looking for gear/rep for gear.

Thanks in advance! I'm sure I'll have more questions later. Smile
Blindsay
Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:25 pm
I was just curious what you guys would think my best build choice would be of the following

This is were i was

http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/54554

Where i am now

http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/54555

What im thinking the the near future

http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/54558

As you can see my HP drops about 800 but i gain like 8% dodge, would u say thats worth it? I have so many trinkets its hard to decide with those lol, im thinkin the heroig MGT trinket and mores lucky pocket watch for hard hitting bosses, and then swap out the pocket watch for my DMV card when i need extra threat
BigBlueCheese
Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:40 pm
So my guild has stopped doing ZA for a while now. They were having trouble with Jan'alai, probably due to the lack of a well geared tankadin. Fast forward a few weeks they decide to try again and they're having trouble with Nalorakk. Fast foward again and enter my tankadin in her current gear.

What bosses can I OT, if any?

I've brought up ZA runs with the "officers" and they said they want to continue it at some point.

*edit: Seems like the Armory is currently down.
_________________
yuuri
Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:41 pm

advice on gear and setup

Hi all,

I am a tank for a couple of weeks now, still building on my gear obviously, and had my first 8 heroic-runs. Three went well, two so so, and 3 bad. I have problems with keeping aggro and I got several times the comment that I was taking so much dmg.

I have read all the tanking guides I could find, there i for sure improvement in my playstyle, but I think I am doing the right things. But because of the comments on my damage-taking I am not sure if I am on the right track.

I would like some advise on my gear and talents.

ty!

Vygo
lifestouch
Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 am
Just a quick "gear check" if someone with a little more experience wouldn't mind throwing me a tip or two, or just a your on the right track...

One thing of note is that I'm using the Healing/dps mace from BF, I decided to MH this because I was using a hanzo sword up until now. One other thing of note is that I have 5/5 Reckoning. I got rid of it for a little bit at 60 but losing it seemed to really hurt my leveling speed so I changed up my talents a little bit. Getting rid of things I didn't feel were neccessary right now being only 62 1/2.

I'm of the opinion that just taking any upgrade through instancing/questing is the best route while still watching my stats (not as closely, but still watching.) I think the choices I have made so far are pretty good, but any words of wisdom for a newer tank would be great. I should be in my tanking gear but not sure when WoW updated the armory so that's up in the air. If I'm in a bunch of int gear it's because I healed an instance also.

Thanks again for anyone taking a look and throwing me any info on what they think.

Life
_________________
sedious
Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:51 am
Hi,

These forums have been a great read for me!

I would like to have some advice on what i could change in order to hit uncrushability without loosing too much stamina. there is probably a relatively easy way with with changing gems or maybe 1 slot but think i have been looking too closely and now my eyes are crossed. I thought i would get some advice here first.

So far uncrushability hasnt been a problem for me as usually i am trash ae tanking MH / ZA, etc. but i would at least to have the opportunity to tank bosses if needs be.

My armory:

http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nagrand&n=Sedious

Open to any advice!

Thanks,

Sedious
_________________