Skip to content
Maintankadin

Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

xdflames
Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:57 pm

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

I have two pieces of gear that I'm trying to figure out which one is better.

On one hand, I have a Heroic Warforged Encapsulated Essence of Immerseus. On the other, I have a Heroic Siegecrafter's Forge Hammer. Would the baby rattle be better based upon the 6 item level?

Going with the Siegecrafter's Forge Hammer, I would loose parry and dodge (whatever), ~500 DPS on my weapon and gain ~500 haste and ~700 mastery.

Is 500 DPS better than 500 Haste and Mastery?

Thoughts?

Edit: My armory, if it helps any.
Righteous
Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:26 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

If it was me, I'd take the hammer over the baby rattle and do the following:

1) AMR - use low stamina setting and set haste cap to 21250 or 20500 if using haste/armor elixirs. I know your guild is 10m so I dont think there is a need for going for stamina. SoO just doesn't hit hard enough. You gain 3% haste without the hammer (on my phone so kind of a pain to change).

2) I only would use Holy Avenger over DP for soloing malk blood rage. Your SoTR uptime will be higher. If you feel more comfortable with HA then to each his own.

3) Since you seem interested in increasing DPS have you tried going Haste(50%) > Crit > Mastery? I am almost unkillable unless I screw up badly anyways and I find my dps has increased quite a bit plus those EF crits can come in handy.

Im on the same server as you! Welcome to hit me up and we can talk prot pally if you want.
Pains
Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:27 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Hi all

any advice for my alt protadin? going to be tanking garrosh 10 man normal tonight want to make sure that i am all good for it, my gear is quite low (542) but i think i should be able to handle it.

here's the most recent log that i have on my paladin, i only tanked shamans with the 3 tank tactic (our raid is extremely under geard so took it easy with the shamans) http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-o ... 206&e=9593

my gear on my paladin = http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/n ... n/advanced

i have a terrible shield/trinket, i swapped out ji-kun's rising winds for the zandalar trinket for a bit extra haste and the 35k heal on ji-kun's trinket seems pretty useless lol but yeah both are terrible just though the zandalar would be better.

we will also be 2 healing the fight if possible, should i take the prot legendary just encase i get spiked by garrosh?

ty in advance
Sanction
Worldie
Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:13 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Garrosh Normal easily melees for > 60% of a tank's hp (even more sometimes) so if you aren't using the Prot cloak you are demanding to be squished.
Pains
Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:57 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Worldie wrote:Garrosh Normal easily melees for > 60% of a tank's hp (even more sometimes) so if you aren't using the Prot cloak you are demanding to be squished.


cheers got the cloak earlier hope tonight goes well xD
Thels
Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:42 pm

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Assuming you're 2 tanking him, try to get your co-tank to taunt off you the moment his debuffs disappear. The higher they stack, the more damage you take, obviously.

542 is a tad on the low side. Since it's the end of the raid, you're expected to be decked out in gear from the rest of the raid, which should net you at least 553, not counting VP buffs. However, if you're playing properly, and your healers are decent, it should be ok.

The Zandalari trinket is not that bad, actually. Haste is a pretty good stat. Though if you're behind on gear, and being carried by strong healers, stamina is always your best choice.
Pains
Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:00 pm

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Healing on me was pretty good, did get gimped a couple of times due to me failing and not using cd's/having EF up on warsong took a big 460k hit and had a couple of add hits on me.

here's the log from tonight if you can spot any improvements i can make that would be great! :)

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-0tmwlvqvwuy834qu/

I took Holy prism for most the fights (tested out lights hammer) find that it's more fitting for the burst damage and helping out the healers done some insane heals on some fights.
Thels
Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:08 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Holy Prism is especially nice for picking up adds, as it's burst. It does require more GCDs, but as long as you don't push back CS, J or AS+GC, it doesn't really matter.

And yeah, use some CDs for those Warsongs. Do you have 1 tank on boss, 1 tank on adds? You might notice that the boss tank also gets adds aggro. A way to handle this is to switch whoever is tanking the boss right when the adds come in, as the previous boss tank will have plenty of vengeance to pick up those adds, and the other tank can then simply taunt the boss.
Pains
Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:37 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Looks like i will be healing it tonight, cheers for the advice guys great help.
Taeron
Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:52 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Hello!

I'm hoping you can help me out in a gear dicision dilemma.

ilvl 665 epic cloak MAS/VERSATILITY vs. going into HCs and finding an ilvl630 cloak with BA?

I got the 665 ilvl one from salvaging but without BA, I am not sure if it's better to just throw it up on AH.

Thank you!
Worldie
Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:13 pm

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

the sheer amount of extra stamina, strength, green stat total and base armor is enough to justify using it over a cloak 35 ilvls lower. That is, unless you REALLY REALLY REALLY need that gold
shidageki
Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:31 pm

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Hey. Long time reader, first time poster.

I have found several items while playing that have brought up questions. For instance 630 savant gear over 640 mastery/other gear. Is the small bump to stam and armor worth giving up 63mastery to pick up 60ish of another stat(haste, vers, crit)?

I feel like I should stick with the stats, but with item level trumping "tank stats" the last 2 expansions, it's left me unsure.

Also, I have not been able to find any info on if or how much Leech counts as a tank stat. Should Leech even figure into a descion on whether or not to keep a piece of gear? heals on attack FEELS tanky......

Thanks in advance!

(specific gear in question)(all gear is listed 640 gear first)
1. Iron Bomb Shoulders(72 vers, 102 mastery) vs. Shoulder guard of valted skies of the savant(168 mastery)
2. Grips of burning infusion(70 crit, 105 mastery, indestrucible) vs. Rivet-sealed crushers(90 vers, 74 mastery, 72 leech)
3. (both items 645) Breastplate(106 mastery, 141 crit) vs. Breastplate(106 haste, 141 multi, 110 leech)
Worldie
Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:43 pm

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Leech counts... near 0. The amount of healing you get from it doesn't even cover the simple autoattacking of a non elite :P

In general, outside of trinkets and sockets, you always want the higher ilvl item. The extra armor, stamina and STR generally surpass the little survivability loss you get from going from a optimal stat to a suboptimal one... unless you decide to wear spirit gear obviously :P

You should consider using a lower ilvl item only if the disparity is massive, say a mastery/versatility item vs a haste/crit one.
Lastwolf
Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:30 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Tertiary stats are for flavour only, and in and ideal world, gem socket all the way, the rest is mostly unimportant.

Worldie is right, generally speaking ilvl > all, baring a massively low amount in the unfavorable stats, as can outweigh the difference eventually.

Number 1, Iron Bomb shoulders unless the Vaulted Skies also rolled higher than 80 vers, 90 crit, 120 haste or 125 multistrike, even then it's only to match the Iron.

Number 2, Grips it's not even remotely close

number 3, The Breastplate with Mastery/Crit.


When things are of the same ilvl, sta + str + armour are all equal therefore it's simple unless it's like 50 more of a stat.

Mastery ~ Vers > Crit > Haste ~ Multistrike

But at this point it's splitting hairs, the loss or gain in performance seems to be very marginal.
Diskotanssit
Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:48 pm

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Hey! I need some quick help regarding these damn trinkets :)


I have Pillar of the Earth (670), Pol's Blinded Eye (670) and Evergaze Arcane Eidolon (655 w/ socket).

Thanks!
Teahouse
Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:07 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

I just hit 100.

What would item should I get from the Apexis trader?
Worldie
Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:05 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

None, you should farm 4800 apexis for the 680 ring from the legendary quest ;)
Quietmode
Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:02 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

After the ~5000 used for the legendary quest, you should have a decent amount of 630 gear from from heroic dungeons if you are playing regularly.

I would suggest to just fill in whatever slots are missing and have low ilvl. You can do the same with Crafted gear, though you get the most bang for your buck from Chest/Legs/Helm.

The joy of being a pally tank in WoD, is that any ilvl increase more than 10 ilvls is almost guaranteed to be an upgrade regardless of stats because of the gains from Armor/Strength/Stamina.
Nimaothar
Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:38 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Hi all,

1st time posting since the expansion started. Guild is making great progress through normal (currently on last boss) and wants to keep the lockout while we start on heroic. Heroic Kargath hit a little harder but otherwise was fine, however that was not the case with Butcher. I felt that if I missed even one shield of the righteous during a cleave it was taking everything I had to recover, not to mention balancing threat with my MT Brewmaster (whose idea was it to give our only anti-bleed to a threat generator anyway?). That said, I am wondering if I should still be spending the time farming Normal Tectus's trinket on different runs, or if I'll be okay with current gear for progression as we make our way through. Below is my armory (I know that LFR helm is not ideal but best that I have). Thanks for your thoughts!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/w ... har/simple
Siekai
Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:19 pm

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

I found Heroic butcher a lot easier when I switched to Empowered seals over Holy shield for that fight and stayed in Seal of insight. I wasn't wearing any better gear than you are. I also ran a stam flask instead of a strength flask. I found I didn't need to use any CDs except divine protection until the burn phase. We had one holy priest, two disc priests and a resto druid for heals in a 15 man comp.
Boèndal
Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:19 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

I got a question regarding weapon enchants right now. I see tanks using 3 different enchants: Blackrock (armor proc), warsong (haste) and thunderlord (crit).
Shouldn't there be a go to enchant or are people just trying things out after the nerfs and changes last week?

Here is my armory if its any help

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ysera/Bo%C3%A8ndal/advanced
Jackinthegreen
Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:20 pm

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

It depends on the person's playstyle and what they feel they need to value right then. The catch with the haste enchant is we can get enough haste to soft cap at 50%, so it loses a bit of value there. Reminds me of armor penetration gearing back in WotLK due to certain trinkets.

So long as the enchant isn't for multistrike it'll perform fine for us.
DisRuptive1
Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Boèndal wrote:Shouldn't there be a go to enchant or are people just trying things out after the nerfs and changes last week?


The go to enchant is Blackrock. However, the other enchants aren't that much of a survivability loss (only about 1k TMI). If for some reason you can't afford Blackrock or you like the look of some of the other enchants, it's not that detrimental to pick those enchants over Blackrock.
Lastwolf
Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:05 am

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

aren't the other enchants alot more expensive ? blackrock is only 3 temp crystals, the rest are like 15, only shattered hand is cheaper and it's quite a bit worse.