Skip to content
Maintankadin

Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Questioner
Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:28 am
Shamora wrote:Is there another necklace I should look for, like one of the badge ones, or would [item=34680]Shattered Sun Pendant of Resolve[/item] be my best bet until I get in a guild and start doing Kara and up?


It isn't a bad neck to have, especially for something like an elemental fight , but I doubt you can reliably fit it in to your 10 man tanking setup without going into crushable (with your current gear).

You might use it in 5 mans where the mobs do not crush or possibly raid trash. You neck upgrade will likely come from Maiden in Kara.
strebor
Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:28 am
What heroics should I be able to tank with my gear (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Scarshield%20Legion&n=Strebor)?

BTW, depending on what I have been doing before logout, my gear on the Armory link may change between the following items (all +12 Stam gems, where applicable).
Breastplate of the Warbringer or Breastplate of Many Graces

Flesh Beast's Metal Greaves or Sha'tari Wrought Greaves

Platinum Shield of the Valorous or Petrified Lichen Guard

Using the above tanking pieces, I have 490+ Def but just shy of 10k health and 180ish spell damage. With the other items, I have over 10K health and 205 Spell damage, but only 463 Def.

I am reluctant to put enchants on my items until I have a stable set (Short of cash after paying for flying mount and trying to lvl my BS). Therefore, I do not want to use lots of gold for something I may replace in a few days. With that in mind, what items that should be enchanted ASAP?

Finally, I am grinding for items that do not require a random drop (eg Seal of the Exorcist, Gladiator's Shield Wall). Are there any items you would prioritise for replacement? I will probably never go raiding so my priorities are 5-man gear.

Sorry if some of these questions go off-topic. I started a gear check question and kept going :)
Questioner
Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:47 am
Mishdorf wrote:Hi guys, I'm a long time lurker first time poster.


There is a ring in Arcatraz which would suit you well. Bracers of the Green Fortress would be nice as well, but seeing as you are broke it might be better to wait for the Vambraces of Courage from Attumen.

Using professions, farming demon hunter supplicants and daily quests are probably the best ways to make money as a tankadin.
Questioner
Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:52 am
strebor wrote:Breastplate of the Warbringe, Flesh Beast's Metal, Platinum Shield of the Valorous

These are all tanking items.

The other BP is a healing chest. The other boots are dps boots you turned into tank boots. The PLG is a grinding shield.

Seal of the Exorcist is not a tanking ring.

I would suggest checking out the following thread: http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... .php?t=163
Jorex
Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:03 am
Erendis wrote:
Jorex wrote:I'm the MT for my kara raid group and we are clearing it just fine. We should be moving into the 25 mans real soon.

Here is a link to my armory.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Ravencrest&n=Jorex

I currently have 129 badges and will pick up the 100 badge legs as soon as the vendor is out. I was thinking my next peice after the legs should be a belt or slikk's cloak.

Which belt should I get?

Should I have the belt of the guardian made or purchase either iron-tusk girdle or girdle of the protector?

Thanks for the help.


I'd go with the Slikks cloak as you have an easily attainable upgrade from moroes for your belt. Also Slikks is one of the better tanking cloaks. period. Might as well grab it and then see what you want to save for afterwards.


So you think the Crimson Girdle of the Indomitable is comparable to the other 3 belts and that I shouldn't go for them?
Elvidnir
Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:18 am
Indomitable will be your best option at that level for uncrush stats, personally I wear the crafted belt and make it up in other slots. Now that Vortices are badge fodder it's much easier to get a belt made than before.
Ciandin
Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:18 am
I'd rather spend gold on a belt of the guardian and spend badges elsewhere. That way, you can get two upgrades simultaneously instead of one now and one later. Keep in mind the Crimson Girdle is great for uncrushable, so don't toss that right away.
Erendis
Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:25 am
Ciandin wrote:I'd rather spend gold on a belt of the guardian and spend badges elsewhere. That way, you can get two upgrades simultaneously instead of one now and one later. Keep in mind the Crimson Girdle is great for uncrushable, so don't toss that right away.


Agreed.
Seloei
Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:10 am
Devilshark is superb for a block value set. It has loads of avoidance and block value. If you really want more block value on trinkets, then there is only one : Badge one.

If your mainly doing heroics, block values good but the raid bosses tend to hit for a lot more than 2k per hit.
Erendis
Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:05 am
Fendorn wrote:Curious as to what I should be looking to get for Trinkets and Cloak. Haven't really found anything that is helping too much. Looking to start working on the BV which is currently at 468. Any advise is appreciated.

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Cenarion%20Circle&n=Fendorn


I'd look at getting [item=33593]Slikk's Cloak of Placation[/item] for 35 badges. I can't think of a better all around cloak untill extreme end game. For trinkets you can't go wrong with picking up [item=28528]Moroes' Lucky Pocket Watch[/item] even if you only want it for situational use. The on use is a lifesaver and on a VERY short cooldown. Of course neither helps your BV but then its always nice to have muliple sets for different situations.
Fendorn
Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:06 am
I've tanked in Kara(except prince haven't been around to do it yet), Channelers on mag and one of the minibosses on Gruul's.

I do have enough badges for the Auto Blocker just wasn't sure if it was technically better as with the blocking/healing combo looked rather nice. Will go ahead and buy the trinket. If anyone has any other advise or gear choice or even gemming differences please feel free to say so.
Smiggs19
Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:08 am

Kara/Heroics

hey y'all. I've been trying to follow the guides that are posted on the forums for gear. http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... j&n=Smiggs

in a few days ill have the Furies deck and Bracers of the Green Fortress. I also only need 1 more badge for the libram. Any advice on what to get with badges or from heroics? I may be off tanking kara for the first time tonight.
Mystra
Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:05 pm
Hi, first off, I love these forums, keep up the awsome work.
I've been 70 for less then 36 hours and finally reached uncrushable w/ buffs, I'm wondering if I'm ready for kara, I will possibly be maintank for our guild seeing how i already am equal/slightly outgear our other tank, also a pally. Mainly I'd like to know what I'm missing and what i can do to improve. I'm pretty sure i have everything i need from normal mode instances. I'm starting to pvp for a gavel, going to craft my rocketlauncher when i get home, and am waiting on 2 nether vortex's for the SSC belt, also going to try Heroic MrT tonight for the trinket/cudgel.
Oh, and here's my armory link...I'm still debating over what enchants to get and am working on revered with aldor for my chest. http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Ysondre&n=Mystra
Erendis
Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:22 pm
Orbitus wrote:Good to tank HKM? Gruul?
ArmoryLite


I don't see why not. I mean there isn't much for you to upgrade in Kara so you should be fine to move on.
Erendis
Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:51 pm
Norml wrote:been trolling here for some time and finally decided to post. simple question...picking up stoic guardian chest tonight or tomorrow; can i mt kara? know all the pulls and encounters.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... Cathanador


If the new chest piece puts you at uncrushable then with good healers you could do any boss. Without being uncrushable then Nightbane and Prince will be very very hard. If you aren't uncrushable then i'd get the libram first before the chest piece. Also, without good healers it will be hard for those bosses as well even with uncrushable.
Far
Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:28 am
Where to go now ?

Can any of you wiz kids give me a hint how to improve my gear.

Moroes is holding onto his watch :-(
Princess in Mgt, same :-(

Apart from that, where do you see that I might squeeze a little improvement in ?
Gemming/enchants or gear.

Tanked Kara except for Maiden, Gruul twice in our 20/21 man takes, and 4 first bosses in ZA.

Btw, should I roll for the shoulders on Gruul ?
Gracerath
Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:49 am
T4 shoulders = good stuff. Yes, roll on them.
Zorin
Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:31 am
Hello, Im new to this forum & this is my first time reading it but, when I saw this post I just had to register :)

Could you please give me some advice on my gear & what I could possibly tank in raids. Thank you in advance :)

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... rr&n=Zorin

/Zorin
ulushnar
Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:34 am
Zorin wrote:Hello, Im new to this forum & this is my first time reading it but, when I saw this post I just had to register :)

Could you please give me some advice on my gear & what I could possibly tank in raids. Thank you in advance :)

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... rr&n=Zorin

/Zorin


:shock:

My advice is simply this.

Ditch the Ret Gear for some Spelldamage stuff, get more Parry/Dodge/Block rating and Defense and read this sticky:

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... .php?t=163

At the moment, I wouldn't have you tanking anything in a Raid.

Oh and ditch the +Int enchant on your weapon and get a +Spelldamage one.
Snake-Aes
Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:38 am
I don't have any loot rights for the next few days(boo trial mode), and guild's going to attempt RoS this week.

How fast will I get eaten by Anger? Bloodboil? >.>



Gear
Borknagar
Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:48 am

What badge reward next?

Ok, topic says it all. My head hurts, I cant figure out which badge reward to get next?

Was thinking of the Sunguard Legplates.
But.... Any of you pro's think I should get somehting else?

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Link to armory

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... urplepills
Questioner
Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:40 am
Snake-Aes wrote:I don't have any loot rights for the next few days(boo trial mode), and guild's going to attempt RoS this week.

How fast will I get eaten by Anger? Bloodboil?


Anger is a toss up, Bloodboil is going to hurt (need more armor). The main problem with Anger will be your level of spelldamage I think, because I usually drop to more threat gear, but in your gear you can't really do that.

Toss up means it could go either way, you might make it fine depending on your healers and dps or you might get murdered. I'll be honest, if I were you I wouldn't want to tank them yet.

Most certainly try to get the Commendation before then, because on Anger you WILL hit AD level a lot.