Skip to content
Maintankadin

Eternal Shadowspirit Meta -- Who wants it?

Sur-Pseudo
Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:01 pm

Eternal Shadowspirit Meta -- Who wants it?

Just curious if this meta has any merit or chance to compete with the 2% armor value meta (IF it's fixed)

My (horrible) napkin math was wrong, but Item enhancement guide says it does work better, even bugged, at high avoidance/mitigation levels


So..
1) Does the math work out to make it better?
(answered) -- at 1% it does compete with armor at the top end
2) Anyone else want this meta? (Guess that depends on 1)
3) Is it possible so good that they can't change it?
(Answered) -- Yes, 5% might be too good.


So I guess that kills this thread >.> they cant do 5% anyways, and 1% still provides enough benefit to be competitive top-end..
Koatanga
Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: Eternal Shadowspirit Meta -- Who wants it?

The tooltip is incorrect. It is a 1% increase in block value, not a 5% increase.

That makes it far less attractive, IMHO. I use it only because my JC learned it before I knew about the incorrect tooltip, so I have a stock of them.
lythac
Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:16 pm

Re: Eternal Shadowspirit Meta -- Who wants it?

[Derivation] Armor/Mastery/Avoidance Calculations - V. Meta Gem Comparison

1)
Theck wrote:This might explain why the block meta is still "bugged," by the way. At 5% it is phenomenally good, at 1% it's right on par with the Armor meta. It may not be "bugged" at all - this might be an intentional balancing change they decided to make during beta, and they just never updated the tooltip


2) I don't if it stays at 1%.

3) See above quote.

You say that it will win out compared to armor when your armor increases. This isn't the case, the average TTL increases linearly with armor. Even though the amount of % reduction you get suffers DR armor doesn't - 1% extra armor at 50% is a 2% damage reduction, 0.5% extra armor at 75% is also a 2% damage reduction.
RedAces
Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:06 pm

Re: Eternal Shadowspirit Meta -- Who wants it?

hey,

A blue poster said that the "5% block chance" is a tooltip bug and it's supposed to be 1%. With this in mind I changed to the armor meta :/

Bye, RedAces.
Ardrhyst
Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: Eternal Shadowspirit Meta -- Who wants it?

Remember, though, that Austere Shadowspirit's mitigation is always there, but Eternal Shadowspirit's benefit is only there when you can block. Considering that they're close, I think I'll personally stick with the armor simply because I'll never be without it.
fuzzygeek
Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:56 am

Re: Eternal Shadowspirit Meta -- Who wants it?

Ardrhyst wrote:Remember, though, that Austere Shadowspirit's mitigation is always there, but Eternal Shadowspirit's benefit is only there when you can block. Considering that they're close, I think I'll personally stick with the armor simply because I'll never be without it.


Austere's mitigation is always there when you get hit. Eternal's benefit is greater when you block.

If you block more often than you get hit, then the damage reduction from ESD outweighs the mitigations from the ASD, is the argument. Or, at least, is competitive.

Given I'm missing two major bits of armor from into T11 content and still at 90% CTC unbuffed, ESD looks pretty attractive, and I used to be an armor stacker (around 45k at the end of WLK).
Arizair
Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Eternal Shadowspirit Meta -- Who wants it?

ASD is still there with the block too... block's don't take away their reduction while ignoring armor... though if that wowhead post's math is correct, most people will have 45-55% block chance in mostly epic pieces unless they grabbed every non-mastery piece, which makes it likely that chance to block is greater than change to be hit (i think im at around 68% chance to avoid/block and i'm far from being the highest on the gear meter)